I'm having a pretty mundane day. Up to my neck in Cooking 'Steak Pie' and assorted veg for the family. Also bulk cooked Bolognaise to freeze in portions. Hubbs just gone out for a power walk round the block:biggrin:.

I walked into the front room for summat and the door bell rang, now I am a bit of a chicken and don't like answering the door when i'm alone., so I hid behind the door but realised three rings later they weren't going away. I gave in and went to the door. There on the step stood a lady who lives so far up the road I can't call her a close neighbour and we haven't got to know her well. She moved here about three years ago and on Halloween called at our house because we had decorated and we made her and her children welcome. 

Today, she stood on my step, and when I opened the door she gave me a little gift 'Mr Kipling Bakewell Tarts'. How lovely is that, I wonder what made her think of us out of the blue like that. I threw my arms round her and told her how thoughtful she was, we both parted beaming. My day is not mundane any more . It's Brill.:biggrin:

It dunt take much to make someones day does it.:)

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, carni said:

Today, she stood on my step, and when I opened the door she gave me a little gift 'Mr Kipling Bakewell Tarts'.

Did she give any clue why she did it ?   Maybe she spent the last couple of years getting up courage to knock on your door. Now you'll get a visit from Mr Kipling every week.

I open the door, it seems to be MY job!  However our dog barks like mad when the doorbell rings, in fact he barks even when someone opens the gate.  I think I’d feel more stressed by hiding and not going to the door.  

I remember me and my mum hiding from the rent man when I was a little girl,  no money, hard times. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

no money, hard times

Probably the same for a lot of people of our generation Lizzie

Rog

• Like 1

No, She just said I have bought you a present. I remember the first time we met, it was Halloween, about three years ago and the local parents and children come around the houses that are decorated and we all have a laugh and chat. She had just moved to the area and couldn't get over how friendly we were for no reason or gain. We could have seemed odd because it all started for our granddaughter who grew out of it all now 17, but the locals loved our effort so we carried on. I think she felt welcome and has never forgotten our friendliness. It does work out a bit expensive by the time we have finished making all the goodies, but we only walk this way once so if it has made people happy, who cares about the cost. It is the second time she has bought us a little gift,  out of the blue and after a few minutes chat and she goes on her way. 

• Like 2

It is I agree and I am sure I needn't be quite so uncomfortable when there is a knock on the door, but over the years there has been a few incidents that have unnerved me and this is how I now feel when alone. Such a shame but yes a sad reflection.

With two dogs going nuts to get at whoever is on the other side of the door I'm not sure a bad guy would stick around.  He doesn't know they'd knock him over and lick him to death.

we have a little sign next to the door sent by my daughter one Christmas.  It says,. "Ring the doorbell and run, the dog needs exercise." :biggrin: 

• Like 1

In this instance thankfully the lady is genuine, but I know what you mean Ian, it is sad but those kind of distraction crimes happen everywhere and quite often to the elderly. I have put this tale on here previously but it can act as a warning so here it is again.

My then elderly aunt living alone on Green Lane Clifton, accepted the offer from a gentleman! at the door to cut her side of the hedge. The council had cut the other side because it was a way through to the next street, but only half way across the top. She was in her 80s, miserable sods. During the cutting the man knocked the door and said it was going to cost more than estimated.

My aunt said just a minute I will have to fetch some more. Leaving him at the door she trotted off upstairs to her hidey place. While she was taking the money from the  purse she became aware that he was beside her. He said 'Here let me help you with that', taking almost all of the twenty/ten pound notes, he turned and shot off leaving  her stunned by what had just happened. By the time she got down stairs they were driving off in their lorry. We estimated 6/7 thousand pounds they made that day. Bless her,  When she phoned us she said that they never even gave her a receipt. The police were informed but no joy.

But sometimes they come unstuck.

My mother was born in Arnold before WW1, her father was returned home injured and lies in a war grave in front of the chapel at Redhill cemetery. My grandmother did her best to raise mam and her siblings but it was a hard life and she went to an early grave too. The siblings stuck together in a small cottage at Redhill on the opposite side of Mansfield road to Redhill road and eventually all married. This upbringing had a major impact on mam she was to put it politely as hard as nag nails and feared no one or anything. She would give you her last penny if you were in need but cross her and the doo doo would hit the fan and punching like a man she would hit you.

Now fast forward 86 years, its the late 80s mam is living alone at 77 Harmston Rise, Heathfield estate, her house backed onto the old railway line, in good health apart from a dodgy hip she had to use a old fashioned heavy wooden walking stick to get about.

One morning I get a phone call from the police asking me to call round pronto, on arrival mam is red with fury and the police are trying to calm her down. A teenager had scammed his way into the house on pretence of fetching his football from the back garden, almost immediately grabbing up her bag from the settee and heading for the front door, whoops door had slammed shut and was now locked.

Mam got him in that little space at the bottom of the stairs and cracked him over the head with her stick this put him on his knees, so she hit him again and again and again. A neighbour heard the ballyhoo and called the police, they arrive to find an 18 year old on the floor covered in blood and crying his eyes out with mam stood over him, off to hospital for stitches to his scalp, but they couldn't do a lot for his broken nose where she had hit him across the face and then to Hyson Green nick.

Mams fury was with the police because they had explained to her that even at her age she could face charges for assault, she just could not understand it, in her mind she had done the police a favour and collared a wrong un.

The charges never happened, well it wouldn't do a lot for the lads street cred standing up in court and explaining that a 86 year old had beaten the SH1T out of him.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:16 AM, Cliff Ton said:

Now you'll get a visit from Mr Kipling every week.

Kipling's Bakery on the highway in Port Wakefield heading north out of Adelaide is a compulsory stop, in fact my car turns in there on its own.

It's hell of a long way to ship pastries to the old Dart

Image result for kipling's bakery

• Like 1

Here is one for Ian, from a series of "I Feel Like A Toohey's" beer adverts containing quite a few Australian cricket hero's from the 70's

Toohey's  was originally a well known New South Wales Brewery. Now part of a vast conglomerate owned ultimately by Mitsubishi.

Two international conglomerates own all the major breweries in Australia with the exception of Adelaide based family owned Coopers Brewery.

If  your mate can get hold of some Coopers Sparkling Ale , try it, it is my favourite.

• Like 1

And don't forget the Tooheys 40 hour week advert changed from Alabama's hit C&W song. I've looked around and can't find it anywhere.

Coopers used to brew tradition beer, where it secondary ferments in the bottle, they also used to sell brewing kits.

Just listened to Alabama's 40 hour week song.........BRILLIANT

Can't say I've heard it in a beer ad.

Coopers Pale Ale and Sparkling Ale are still bottle fermented and one of there biggest selling products is home brewery kits.

• Like 1

It was around about 1987ish it was made, all the American names in it were changed to Australian names. Not sure even if Alabama sang it, been to many years now.

I'll keep searching.