My Childhood Memories collection

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chidhood memories are obviously mostly Bestwood estate where i was born and grew up.........relatives on nearly every road/drive/crescent.......also schoolmates and honestly looking back they were the

This was everywhere on the wireless as a kid..slice of Dundee cake and camp coffee..even that Ukranian Dentist on Chaucer Street. Do remember a reggae version played  on Radio Nottingham's '

Chulla`s recollections of Teresa Brewer on another thread set me thinking of all the music that meant a lot to me as a child and that I still remember today. In the early 50`s my music came from

How about 

little Wooden Hut ?

On mother Kelly’s door step?

Sister’s by Beverly sisters

White sports coat and Pink Carnation. King Brothers?

Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag ?

Goodbye, Goodbye we wish you all the luck?

Wish upon a star Perry Como

can you tell from these songs that my dad used to be a pub singer. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a cracking song that plonks me right back on the dreaded Bowers Avenue...i lived like Billy Fisher in those days'Ambrosia' was a buffer from all the crap.Waterford man excels himself

here. Bonaparte Shandy always stuck with me.

It is fifteen years ago since Little Eva died and it reminded me of this soundtrack of my youth.

It was 1962 and I was playing snooker at the local boys club on a table with a poorly repaired rip on the baulk line near the "D"

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Angela Jones,,remember it well.........dut'n de do dah do........Angela Jones..........wheres the NS Choir..?

4 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Angela Jones,,remember it well.........dut'n de do dah do........Angela Jones..........wheres the NS Choir..?

I'll meet you at your Locker

When  high schools dismissed

I'll carry your books home for you 

If you'll just give me, one  little..........Dut'n.. De .Do ..Dah Do.  Mmmm. The mind boggles?

• Like 3

nice one carnie...........had a brief courtship with an Angela.((i was 16).....beautiful she was.....she was'nt very popular though,,she lived on Raymede drive,,Bestwood estate and her Mam was the local rent woman,, and very stern,,......she made her pack me in.......even though Mam and Dad always paid the rent........:rolleyes:

• Like 3

I never had a locker.  I didn't go to high school.  I went to the Chandos academy :biggrin:. We didn't have any girls there.

First steady girlfriend was an Angela though.  I wonder where she is these days ?  Nice gal.  It was just puppy love though.

Edited to add.  It was not the same Angela Ben.  Mine lived near Castle Boulevard.

• Like 1

Just think, Ben.  You were probably spared from a fate worse than death.  She might have turned out like her mam.  Look at who you would have had for a MIL.  :rolleyes:. I was always told to check out momma before going to far.  :biggrin: 

• Like 1

Went with one down there as well Loppy,, honest,, Grove street i think,,again i was about 16,,she worked in Marsdens,,Willoughby street,,

edit................just seen your MIL comments......been lucky with mine,,all seemed to like me,can't say same for FIL's.........lol.

• Like 1

No connection Ben.  Mine was an apprentice hair dresser.  I was 16. She was 17.  I always liked older women.  Lol.

Edit.  Maybe we should sing that Beach Boys Song.  'I get Around.'  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

I never had a locker

I didn't make High School either, only just made Secondary Modern, but I did have a Locker. You knew which one was mine as soon as you went in the Locker room,  it was the one with the gentle whiff of flipped Park Drives escaping through the gaps round the door.:ohmy:

• Like 2

I did'nt make 'High school'  did'nt take the 11 plus,,......did'nt smoke till i was 15,, loved it ever since,,.....my Vices at school may surprise you,, Football,,cricket  Tennis,, and girls......not necessarily in that order......played football till 40 Cricket and Tennis till 50..........we'll just have to see about the other......ive always been a dreamer Pisces you see.....:rolleyes:

• Like 2

I had a great MIL, Ben.  She had a great daughter too.  Can't remember if I told of our first date.  We went to the Ritz, Carlton.  I lived just down the street.  So after the film I invited my girlfriend in to meet my Cat!  My folks were home too.  I didn't know until the wife told me later how well this went down with the MIL. She thought it good etiquette for a lad to take his girlfriend to meet his parents.  (I didn't! I took her to meet my cat). :biggrin:. I hadn't turned doggy yet.

So if any young men read this, take note.  Be careful how you treat your future MIL.  It can make or break you.

When my oldest daughters boyfriend first visited he brought a big bouquet of flowers.  When my daughter thanked him he said,. " Oh no! These aren't for you.  They are for your mom."  Needless to say that went very well with the then Mrs.  Loppy.  Her sister remarked, "this guy has class."

• Like 3

Chidhood memories are obviously mostly Bestwood estate where i was born and grew up.........relatives on nearly every road/drive/crescent.......also schoolmates and honestly looking back they were the happiest days of my life,,Henry Whipple and Padstow schools amazing days.......often drive thru and it makes me feel sad.........they've all gone now,, like to think that people like Trogg and Col think the same,,reckon they do,looking at their comments.

The estate had a bad reputation in the 90's and o's,,hopefully its now recovering,, Quite honestly i could'nt live there again,,my memories would make me depressed,,they say you can never go back'' and its true..hate to see the old ''High Pavement'' school grounds covered in what is termed ''Affordable housing''....affordable my Ass''people have bought them then rent out at stupid prices.....what chance do the youngsters have,, sorry did'nt mean to,,but had a little rant............

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Funny you mention a drop of Sarsons in the window cleaning bucket, Mrs C informed me earlier that she is window cleaning tomorrow.

gave her strict instructions not to do the bedroom window until I've surfaced ! I need my rest.

• Like 1

A childhood memory I always remember was that of a neighbour who tried to gas herself putting her head in the oven one afternoon.

Halfway through the deed her meter ran out of money & being unconscious was unable to put another one shilling piece in the meter, but she was close to achieving her goal !

Yes the old coal gas was highly toxic and a popular way to end it all back then.

Soon after natural gas came on stream quite a few folks tried the same thing before they realised it was none toxic, highly explosive, nearly twice as powerful as coal gas but not poisonous.

The only way to do the deed would be to have enough to replace all the oxygen in the surrounding area but by then it has usually gone bang.

some of the Singers from the 50s i remember from 78 records of my aunts and Uncles''

Ruby Murray,........softly,softly

Frankie Lane .......Rawhide

Dickie Valentine........Grandma was in his fan-club

David Whitfield..........saw him at the bar,,in the Peach Tree......about 1964..

Alma Cogan,,sugar sumat

Beverley Sisters........there were never such devoted sisters''....remember my Aunts singing this at Grandma's house getting ready to go out,and drawing Seams' on their legs,,

• Like 2
3 hours ago, catfan said:

A childhood memory I always remember was that of a neighbour who tried to gas herself putting her head in the oven one afternoon.

Halfway through the deed her meter ran out of money & being unconscious was unable to put another one shilling piece in the meter, but she was close to achieving her goal !

Good job she didn't strike a match to see the meter.  She might have achieved it that way.:Shock:

• Like 1