Colwick park ferry C.1907

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice Detective work Michael

we always went to pleasure park,shamed to say we never payed to go through the turnstile,always cut down by the air cadets onto the games field that greenwood boulevard school used,then a little hop o

'Colwick Sands' was on the northern bank, just eastward of the present-day Holme Pierrepoint sports complex. It resembled a seaside beach - hence the name - some 300 yards long. Behind it were vario

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

I remember that boat. My first trip to pleasure Park was in the mid 40's and I accidentally learnt to swim there. My Aunt Evelyn took me that day and I gave here a scare when I jumped into the Trent from the landing stage, like the other lads were doing. I can still remember going under and how dark it was in the dirty old Trent. It must have been survival instinct kicking in as I managed to dog paddle back. Auntie reminded me of that incident for years after.

On the opposite bank in that picture it was all grass. Can't tell from the pic if it was grass at that time but we used to picnic there. I remember swimming there and cutting my wrist on a broken bottle. I was strapped up and taken to hospital but it was less serious than it looked. One of 3 scars on that wrist, each with a story to tell.

I used to catch a 43 from the Alma on Alfreton Rd to the terminus to go fishing from the steps between the boats and Trent Bridge. We had a lot of freedom them bearing in mind that I was barely 10. Remember paying a halfpenny wherever I was going and sometimes being chucked off for not paying full fare.

• Upvote 1

Recall going swimming in the trent with my dad diving off the landing stages of the boat clubs, normally a placid type he got quite irate with some jobsworth bloke from one of said clubs who said we could not use their platform threatening to throw him in the river! However justice of a sort was done when I stood on what I assume was a broken glass in the water slashing my foot to the extent that according to dad it needed stitching, however as at the time I had a morbid fear of such having had a finger stitched without any anesthetic (no doctor on duty, held down by one nurse while another did knit one purl one) caught a 41 trolley back to Basford with foot wrapped in a towel! Still have the scar but no other side effects at the time and healed well.

As regards "Peggy" not sure if it was him but remember seeing someone dive off the Suspension bridge in flames as a sort of "finale star turn" in the Festival of Britain (1952?)

• 1 year later...

There is a picture on PTP of children playing in the sand at the pleasure park in 1933. It hasn't been cleared yet for commercial use and not being sure whether I would break any rules, I have not put a link on to view it.Titled Pleasure Park River Trent 1933 if you want to see it.

I think it's safe to put the link in carni........... http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM018398&pos=1&action=zoom&id=81173

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the link miduck, I was a bit worried about rules. It would be nice one day to get a photo from the other angle, looking up from the river. We would see the little fair, and cafe and amusements. Perhaps one day one will turn up. I keep looking.

Just think, the children in the picture could be the parents of some of us? Mine were born in 1923 so they would be 10 around the time the picture was taken?

• Upvote 1