Colwick park ferry C.1907

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice Detective work Michael

we always went to pleasure park,shamed to say we never payed to go through the turnstile,always cut down by the air cadets onto the games field that greenwood boulevard school used,then a little hop o

'Colwick Sands' was on the northern bank, just eastward of the present-day Holme Pierrepoint sports complex. It resembled a seaside beach - hence the name - some 300 yards long. Behind it were vario

Posted Images

Does anyone have pictures inside or the entrance to Colwick pleasure park? my fella used to go there but can't remember what it looked like.

There was always plenty to do dah'n the Trent at one time of day.

they even had a section whereby one could go swimming, but where abouts this was situated remains a puzzle.. does anybody know?

I'd suggest this was part of 'Colwick Sands'...1950's destination of the Brookhouse/Trevithick boats which sailed from TB.

Cheers

Robt P.

"..During the 1900's steamers used to travel from Nottingham City at Trent Bridge to the Colwick Park which, had a small pleasure park intended for children to play, there was a small wildlife park, 3 public bars and a restaurant, the surrounding trees where lit by thousands of fairy lights illuminating the trees during the summer evenings. The power plant was housed in a glass building so all could see the generator...."!

IIRC, 'Colwick Sands" was further downriver from "Colwick Pleasure Park"....opposite (city side) of the river too. Perhaps nearer to today's Holme Pierrepoint centre.

Cheers

Robt P.

• 1 month later...
There was always plenty to do dah'n the Trent at one time of day.

they even had a section whereby one could go swimming, but where abouts this was situated remains a puzzle.. does anybody know?

An update by a friends uncle who can remember the baths, says they were located between the suspension bridge and the halfpenny bridge, which would have placed them roughly where the paddling pool and swings are today.

perhaps once an area devoted to all manner of recreation?

"Dare Devil Peggy" and "Dare Devil Leslie", a father and son team (surname Gadsby). Both performed, diving into the sea from a high board located at the head of Skegness Pier  (unfortunately this section of the Pier was destroyed by storm in 1978). Dare Devil Peggy only had one leg (hence the name "Peggy", perhaps derived from "Peg Leg"). Leslie had a hand missing. The culmination of the act was Peggy taking his high dive to the sea wrapped in a burning sack!

The Image (right) is of Peggy's dive, probably from the higher board. Peggy is shown in mid air at the extreme right of the image, the original photograph clearly showed one leg. Counting the rungs of the ladder (just visible under the life belt), and estimating the height of the diving board in relation to the height if people on the pier, we can assume that the height of the high board was perhaps 80 to 100 feet above the water surface

Looking on Google I foune this about a diver with one leg. He originated from Skegness and my other half can recall seeing him diving off the Suspension Bridge into the Trent. He also did a 'turn' at Goose Fair diving into a tank of water that had been set on fire.

I will try and attach a picture, but don't hold your breath.

A ;)

post-30-1155114647_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Whereabouts is the yacht club and Trent Lane ?

In the '50's I walked from the Suspension Bridge to Holme PierrePont, and on other occasions from the Suspension Bridge to Clifton Estate both on the South side of the river. I don't recollect anything special in the way of "theme" parks.

At Mundella we used to play hockey on a field passed the Nott's County ground, and under a railway bridge in the direction of Holme PierrePont.

Hugs Alison

'Colwick Sands' was on the northern bank, just eastward of the present-day Holme Pierrepoint sports complex.

It resembled a seaside beach - hence the name - some 300 yards long.

Behind it were various walks by small lakes - which is still in situ today, with access off the Colwick Loop road.

Spent many an happy hour there, thanks to the freebie rides on my relatives - the Brookhouse's - pleasure boat from Trent Bridge.

Cheers

Robt P.

• Upvote 1

Re: previous. That would have been the Nott's Forest Ground not County.

Colwick Park must have been on the North side of the river downstream from Trent Bridge. I don't recollect anything on the South side, and if you turned right at the bottom of Queens Drive along the river there was Clifton Pit, then a big municipal tip and then the Power Station. And then the road swung back up towards Lenton.

Some distance after the Power Station there were the canal locks where the canal that went under Carrington Street and Wilford Road connected to the Trent.

Hugs Alison

If you go along Daleside Road off Meadow lane and turn into Trent lane (car sales on the corner of mini roundabout) at the bottom of that lane is the river trent. Yacht club is last place on the left. Went there about 5 years ago and it looked familiar. I can remember Colwick Park being swings and playground and penny slot machines possibly a paddling pool.

Never ventured up that way luv. All my maps just showed a blank space and a sign "Here be dragons". Plus there was very real possibility that you could fall off the end of the world if you went too far in that direction.

Hugs Alison

• 11 months later...
An update by a friends uncle who can remember the baths, says they were located between the suspension bridge and the halfpenny bridge, which would have placed them roughly where the paddling pool and swings are today.

perhaps once an area devoted to all manner of recreation?

They were nearer the big blocks of flats (Rivermead?)upstream of the spenny bridge. As kids we used to play in the remains of the pools,they were tiled with pale blue tiles. When they built the flats they cleared it all away so that certain residents could use the space for moorings/river access.

Hi all,

I was at Mundella between 1968 and 1973. I can't remember how we used to get to it but we had our sports day and cricket practice at a place known as Trent Pool which was just up from the Forest Ground.

I seem to remember we went down the road at the side of the Trent past the Boat Club and the Forest ground.

Paul

Just looking on Google and it would seem that Trent Pool was part of Boots Sports and Recreation Ground and was on Holme Road.

Paul

Yes we spent many happy hours there playing cricket, football and participating in Archery. It was a ground used by the "Meadows Boys Club" on a Friday evening as a rule. The chap who took us for archery was called Bob (cant recall his last name now) I beleive, he was in the auxilary (TA) SAS as well which gave him a lot of kudos even before the SAS made the headlines!

Boots recereation ground was at the side of Trent Pool.

• 5 months later...

the pleasure park down trent lane was not a big fair and i can't describe it other than to say there were swing boats,a ride with little chairs on that used to swing out ,a rail in the trent so children could paddle also an old concrete paddling pool,so rough it used to scratch you'r feet,it was always full of people on sunny days.we used to walk there with my mam and any more of the local kids who tagged along.i have no photo's because i don't think we were rich enough to own a camera in them days,i don't think many people were.I expect today it would not come up to the health and safety regulations.I still keep hoping someone may have an old newspaper cutting .

• 2 years later...

I can remember going to colwick park as a child in the sixties, i think it is on the site of the yacht club on Trent Lane

Colick Park was a lot further down than the Yacht club. It was opposite Trent Fields in West Bridgford. You would sail down the river, past the large bitterlings bone factory on the left and it was not far past there.

This may be gong off topic a bit, but on the subject of riverside amusements I remember when I was young on a few occasions we went to Gunthorpe where there was some kind of pleasure park.

Maybe I'm mixing that up with Colwick, but I definitely remember being at Gunthorpe Lock and I reckon there was some kind of area for kids to play around. In those days I had no idea where Gunthorpe was relative to the rest of the world, and I've never been back there since the early 60s.

Was itt an alternative Colwick?