Postage Stamps Increase

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is getting so that teh cost of posstage is more than the cost of some goods.  Makes shopping online a little less enticing.  That's privatisation for you though. I vote we renationalise ALL utility

Exactly. Apart from Christmas and birthday cards I probably buy 2 or 3 stamps all year. I never have any idea how much first or second class is, so an increase doesn't mean anything.

To send an item anywhere in the country for 76 pence seems a bit of a bargain to me.

Yes. The inference being that this was a sovereign service.

A national institution endorsed by the monarch.

It's hardly that now !

If I recall correctly, they re-named it Consignia in the run up to privatisation, but after wasting millions on re-branding and the rapid deterioration of the service they went back back to being 'Royal Mail' to try and restore some sort of trust.

Like I say, I wonder how the Queen feels about her image being used to promote junk mail.

• 1 year later...

Your Joking ........ An whole two pence piece! This could or should be in `Things you do not see anymore` it`s now very rare you actually see a sticky stamp on a letter? 

New topic? This could have sat here with this discussion from the last increase :crazy:  

It is getting so that teh cost of posstage is more than the cost of some goods.  Makes shopping online a little less enticing.  That's privatisation for you though. I vote we renationalise ALL utility services and stop the 'fat cats' exploiting the population.

• Like 1

It's not really politics, Phil, more a sense of the population being abused by big utility businesses - without adequate protection from those who see themselves as fit to lead......on second thoughts, I suppose that is politics - a bit anyway.

They say Robin Hood only robbed the rich - he'd look a bit daft trying to rob the poor, wouldn't he! :crazy:

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I don't think many people send mail by post nowadays. As regards Christmas cards, yes it's lovely to receive them but afterwards what do you do with them. When the grandchildren were young I cut the picture off and they used them for collage etc. Same with the stamps I saved them as we had post from Australia and Europe but that novelty wore off. 

Here in Italy I stopped sending Christmas cards years ago. The reason being.....cards come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, cards go in envelopes ( of course they do ) but taken to post office they had to be weighed:wacko: " sorry the size is wrong they won't be sent". I tried for quite a long time experimenting with different sizes even putting them into another envelope ( not very satisfactory) so in the end I gave up. Now I prefer to either phone to wish greetings or send by email ( which is a bit impersonal). At the end of all the celebrations the cards are usually just put in paper bin and forgot about. Long gone are the days when cards were saved for sentimental reasons or reference to who sent them last year just to remind you.I still have my cards from my 21 st and my wedding telegrams after almost 50 yrs. My get well cards and congratulations on the birth of my son and daughter and any little scrap of paper that my grandchildren have written on to say TVB ( ti voglio bene, I love you ) those little drawings that they made whilst growing up all have a little box all to themselves. 

Times are changing rapidly, what will the future bring us as regards wishing Christmas greetings? 

1 hour ago, nonnaB said:

I don't think many people send mail by post nowadays.

Exactly. Apart from Christmas and birthday cards I probably buy 2 or 3 stamps all year. I never have any idea how much first or second class is, so an increase doesn't mean anything.

• Upvote 1

Whilst I agree with you Brew, having thought about how much I spend on postage in a year ...... about 80 Christmas cards plus quite a few Birthday cards, that must add up to around £700.  Bit steep that.  However, I can’t abide these e.cards that people send, they’re so impersonal.  

6 hours ago, Brew said:

To send an item anywhere in the country for 76 pence seems a bit of a bargain to me.

Whilst I  agree with you Brew, recently I had to post a small box of fudge to my bro.in law toward his birthday. It was only a small box, costing about 89p (Aldi). Took it to the post office and because it just wouldn't fit through the letter size slot I  had to put it on the scales. Consequence, it cost me £3.40 to send to Stapleford. (Sent his card with a voucher separately).

• Like 1

The value of the item is irrelevant BK. £3.40 to deliver something over 200 miles is still a bargain, how much would it cost you to deliver it in person?

59 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Whilst I  agree with you Brew, recently I had to post a small box of fudge to my bro.in law toward his birthday. It was only a small box, costing about 89p (Aldi). Took it to the post office and because it just wouldn't fit through the letter size slot I  had to put it on the scales. Consequence, it cost me £3.40 to send to Stapleford. (Sent his card with a voucher separately).

I'd have stood in the Post Office and eaten the fudge then sent a cheque for £3.40 and asked him to buy his own.

We're not exactly short of Aldi's in and around Greater Nottingham, there must be at least 20 with plenty more planned.

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Hmm. Interesting. Your maths teacher wasn't by any chance a crazy Irishwoman, dressed entirely in green with brown lace up Hush Puppies, was she?

Not Irish but a frightening teacher who was also in charge of hockey and had dubious sexuality.  She used to wake me up with a pother of chalk dust from the board rubber landing on my desk.  I really didn’t get it and when have I had to use log tables since I left school anyway? 

• Like 1