Postage Stamps Increase

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is getting so that teh cost of posstage is more than the cost of some goods.  Makes shopping online a little less enticing.  That's privatisation for you though. I vote we renationalise ALL utility

Exactly. Apart from Christmas and birthday cards I probably buy 2 or 3 stamps all year. I never have any idea how much first or second class is, so an increase doesn't mean anything.

To send an item anywhere in the country for 76 pence seems a bit of a bargain to me.

I have noticed a lot of the post office staff use the up sell, what’s in the package? How much is it worth? Do you want it there tomorrow? Signed for? The two Asian lads on Aspley Lane are the worst, had my Mum over for a fiver plus to post a package which three quid second class would have covered it, the robbing bastards. 

I can't remember the last time I bought a stamp, it must have been in the late 90's.

I don't even know what one costs or why anyone would need them any more other than for packages as everything else can be done electronically.

Packages or parcels are cheaper and more reliably delivered by courier companies locally, interstate, or international.

11 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

I'd have stood in the Post Office and eaten the fudge then sent a cheque for £3.40 and asked him to buy his own.

We're not exactly short of Aldi's in and around Greater Nottingham, there must be at least 20 with plenty more planned.

Hi Stuart, as an aside, I had already sent a birthday card containing a money voucher. It's just that we saw the fudge while shopping and knowing bro-in-laws fondness for fudge we decided to send it as a joke. Maybe I should have just put a couple of 1st class stamps on instead. I'm sure it would still get to him.

Variation on the subject of stamps and parcels.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered something of Amazon - not actually Amazon, one of the other traders. I clicked to order it on a Sunday afternoon and the package (large envelope-sized) arrived through the door at about 5pm the next day - Monday.

I hadn't paid for any special urgent delivery; just normal whenever. I was impressed and surprised.

• Like 1

If we consider the number of staff, the vehicles, premises and high tech machinery in the postal service I think they do a great job for next to nothing. We have all heard horror stories of lost/late mail but never acknowledge the millions of successful deliveries, often in just a few hours to all but the most far flung places.

The fact, as I said earlier, that the postage can be more than the items value is not important, it uses the same facilities and costs to deliver.

• Like 1

An old friend of ours, now deceased but was one of the wealthiest men in Buckinghamshire, used to use those pre-paid envelopes we all receive in communications from companies and charities.  He just crossed out the printed address and wrote the address he wanted to send the letter to.  He did however buy stamps to send Christmas cards.  

• Like 1

Don't think that would work here. It's rarely that we get prepaid envelopes. The ones we get are from U.K. anyway

and it would never pass the system here.

Its almost a mornings job to visit the PO here as it's all computerized. So a simple thing like paying a bill has to go through a routine that takes so long. I'm glad all ours are DD.  Three desks and only one cashier you can imagine if the queue is long. Then an assistant walks past with an armful,of papers looking " very important" and then walks back to wherever she came from ignoring the grunts and sighs from customers. I hate going there.

Here are some prices from the past.

1975     1980      1990     2000     2006    2011

First Class             8.5p      10p        20p       26p      32p      46p

Second Class       6.5p       8p         15p       19p      23p       26p 

I would be happy if the postman would deliver to the address written on the envelope, i had to contact the main sorting office to get things resolved. The personal touch has gone, what I mean is, postpersons (if that's a word) using a bit of comman sense!!.

We've got a great postman, Ben's his name. Very amiable bloke, if you've got a letter to post he's quite happy to put it in the post, to save you a journey.

A few years ago, I acquired  a small tin containing an assortment of stamps. All British, of different values. None franked. The relation must have been a collector as there are so many. I have noticed that they are all issued after the change to decimal. Some belong to series eg Castles,  priced at £1.50 each. What do I do with them. Are they likely to be valuable. Can I just used them up on letters after all these years. Problem there, is that apart from Birthdays/Christmas we don't send many letters these days. It seems a shame to just let them  go unused, if I can get some cash from them. I know when Chris and I float off to that great place in the sky, my kids wont want them. Any suggestions please. Nice ones of course.:biggrin:

Stamps don't have a 'use by' date so you can still use old ones on letters and parcels, provided of course they have not been used already.  Not sure about any with values ending in 1/2p or 'd' though!

The £1.50 ones are quite suitable for sending parcels.

• Like 1