Sunday Dinner Memories

Two Way Family Favourites, and that appalling Billy Cotton Band Show with that awful theme tune. Da, dada, da, da da ! 

• Like 2

Too, too real!!!

I remember one Sunday my mother wasn't very well and dad decided that he would do the dinner. What an absolute disaster! The culmination was the gravy - it really was a case of one slice or two. He couldn't (or wouldn't) accept that gravy thickened on cooking, not from mixing the Bisto cold.

• Like 2

Much to my consternation, dad always had the outside bloody slice of the roast beef joint, and first piece of crackling from the roast pork. Once I was married, I insisted on doing likewise !

It's a rarity these days, as most youngsters can't cook, so there's nothing to pass on to future generations, only the 'Just Eat' app.

Nowadays, as there's only two of us, we get equal crackling and bloody bits !

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Much to my consternation, dad always had the outside bloody slice of the roast beef joint, and first piece of crackling from the roast pork. Once I was married, I insisted on doing likewise !

I’ve always given my wife the outside cut of the beef for years as a special favour. Last week she complained that she always got the bloody outside bit. You just can’t win!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Don't even try Phil, it's a waste of time and energy. Fickle Fillies ! :flyswat: Ouch !

• Like 1

Always a roast dinner on a Sunday in our house, in fact it still is, we love our roasts.  

Dinner cooking, Mum doing the Sunday Express crosswords, Family Favourites on the wireless with mention of such ‘exotic’ places as Christmas Island, with no indication of what our soldiers were doing there!  Dad down the pub having a pint, wearing his best suit.  

If it was lamb on the menu Dad would watch us like a hawk and keep reminding us to leave some mint sauce for him!  To save any moaning Mum started giving him a little pot of his own.   Roast beef without Yorkshire Pud just isn’t the same but quite often Mum forgot to get it in the oven in time so we ended up with it as a pudding, with butter and jam.  Just as nice!  

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I know I'm in the minority but I used to HATE the smell of the Sunday roast beef cooking  as I couldn't/wouldn't eat any meat or vegetables when I was very young.  There was always tension as we all sat down at the table because my Dad kept on telling me to eat up and I just couldn't.  It was very soon after the war and I don't think the meat was up to much - it was very gristly. There might have been better meat available somewhere but we never got any!  In the end I remember that (thanks to my sympathetic mum) I just used to eat a plate of mashed potato, butter and cheese, or lovely gravy which I mopped up with bread.

I now love roast dinners and all vegetables,  but I also like potato, butter and cheese.  And I even sneak a piece of bread sometimes to mop up left-over gravy...it takes me right back to my childhood.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Two Way Family Favourites, and that appalling Billy Cotton Band Show with that awful theme tune. Da, dada, da, da da ! 

Wakeee WAKEEEEE,. :biggrin:. Never too keen on Alan Breeze either.

• Like 1

Re today's youngsters..... I did say MOST ! It's obviously about upbringing, and if parents fail their kids, then they in turn fail their offspring  and so it goes on. 

Did anybody eat a meal like that as Sunday lunch my mother would have been ashamed of it, more left on the plate than eaten.

My mother was and my lady is a great cook and wouldn't dream of serving up 'that muck' mothers words........

Today was typical roast beef, boiled and roasted spuds, cauliflower, garden peas and Yorkshires to die for.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, IAN123. said:

and she did a very strange thing with her greens...epsom or some kind of salts?

Was this to keep the colour?

Most likely sodium bicarbonate (bicarb). The idea was to retain the colour but it also introduced a great tendency to greyness with even slight overcooking and also profound sogginess of the greens.

One positive thing that bicarb had was to aid and digestive problems which may have occurred after eating the other parts of the dinner.

Yesterdays Sunday roast at Compo's place was a Chicken Tikka curry with chips (Chips cooked in dripping).  No Billy Cotton Band show either - it was Radio Caroline for me all day.  Whatever happened to the great British Sunday family dinner? 

:flyswat:

12 hours ago, IAN123. said:

We had great neighbours. Who took me under their wing.

Firstly they introduced me to roast parsnips..sip of Luncheon Ale..and she did a very strange thing with her greens...epsom or some kind of salts?

Was this to keep the colour? 

Also a breeze block size chunk of white cap went in the roasting tin ...

At least your arteries hardened nostalgically then.  

Home Brewery Luncheon Ale. I’d forgotten about that. What a wonderful taste of the 60’s!

Speaking of ales and Sunday lunch reminds me of when I were nowt burra lad.  Our dad took us to church on Sunday morning and then, if it was a sunny day, we walked up from Thackeray's Lane in Daybrook, to the White Hart at Redhill, where he would go inside for a pint and fetch us out an orange juice or lemonade.  This ony happened rarely and during the summer months but it was always a nice treat.  After the pub it would be home foro the Sunday dinner.

• Like 1