Talking old times with a relation today, the address 'Ossington Villas'? came up and also 'Sherwood Street'. Does anyone have a map showing either of these addresses. I remembered the name of the villas as soon as my cousin said it, but can't remember where it was. Most of my aunts lived in St Annes area or very close, so  i'm just interested as to where it was. I am presuming it came down with the demolitions, as I have typed it into street maps and  had no luck. 

I knew there was a good chance you might know it Ian being in your old neck of the woods. Thank you Miduck. It is where I suspected it was. So many years ago, I had forgotten it until my cousin mentioned the place. I'm hoping someone might have a map or Ariel photo of it, to bring it back for me.

Nice one CliffTon.  We visited someone at that address quite often in the 50s and I had completely forgotten the place, until this morning. That's another piece of the Jigsaw of my childhood  put together. Thank you for finding the picture, the houses look in a very sad state it looks as if they are empty ready for demolition. 

I agree, there are some very nice features to the brickwork, along the walls, around the windows and the edging on the roofs. They may have only been houses but far more attractive than most buildings today. I wouldn't mind a few of those chimneys around my garden . They would look very nice with a few colourful plants and ivy added. :)

This very brave chaplain lived on

Ossington Villas and sadly perished in 1918.He was a VC. DSO.MC.

I will look further as there was a small chapel carnie..just down from

'Osso'. I am wondering if he was attatched to that.

It became a methodist or pentecostal church in my go..

'61-'73.

Theodore Bailey Hardy.RIP.

Always like to see where street names originate from but  my personal interest in Ossington Villas was because visiting there was part of my past and I was shocked when my relation mentioned it and I  realised I had completely forgotten that time of my life, and I know I would never have remembered again without our conversation today. I find it shocking  and a bit frightening when i realise  important times in my memory might have dissapeared.

• 6 months later...

In 1963/4 I was in "digs" in Ossington Villas, probably no. 10 or 11. The landlady was Mrs. Winifred Loverseed.  I remember she had a photograph of a son who was killed in the war.   Years later when we had computers and the internet, I discovered that he was killed on 13 May 1943 aged 22, and buried in the Jonkerbos War Cemetery in the Netherlands.  That may have been one contributing reason why she decided to take in students. I wish now that I had asked more about her son, but that's students for you.

It's nice to see the photo in this topic, even though the demolition had been started. I remember this as being  a quiet, peaceful cul-de-sac!

• Like 3
  • 2 years later...

Hi folks,

A Google search for Ossington Villas led me to this page. I was following up hints on Ancestry for my family history and distant cousins were recorded as living at 21 Ossington Villas in the 1891 census. The comments here, particularly the map, give an interesting historic detail. 

Many thanks