philmayfield

Traffic chaos in Newark

For those of us living in this area of Notts we are going to be faced with 17 weeks of traffic chaos when a temporary one way system is introduced in Newark during drainage works. To alleviate this for commuters a free shuttle service bus has been introduced. Obviously the free buses are going to be caught up in the traffic chaos - or has no one realised this? It’s not just Nottingham that’s that run by loonies - they live amongst us in all the public services!

At least it's only for 17 weeks, the chaos is infinite in Nottingham cos of the tram's. Think the sen  lucky.

I’ve just returned from there and it’s quieter than normal much to my surprise. I think that people have been scared away. 

An unusual view of the A46 at Newark

P1050561.jpg

Rog

• Like 2

Thats a rare picture. In all my 56 years of living in the area I've never walked under there. Do you know what the red brick building is at the side of the railway line? It's not very accessible by road is it?

• Like 1

Sue B will know,I think it was something to do with either the boiler company or some woodworking company, I've another picture somewhere that I'll post when I find it, it's a nice walk from the pedestrian bridge down to the weir,sometimes cross over the river and walk passed that building down to Nether lock, not accessable by road now as there is a locked gate at the end of the industrial road

Rog

• Like 1

View from the other side of the bridge

P1050562.jpg

I took this one underneath the east coast mailine bridge

P1050571.jpg

And this one from behind the STW

P1050574.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

Hoval boilers were at the back and to one side of that building and were or are a much

larger building. The buildings  you can see in Rogs picture were mostly pine workshops.

I used to drive past them almost every day for 10 years, very scary in the dark or the fog

that's what you call living in the middle of nowhere. 

• Like 1

Thanks Sue,I knew you were the best person to comment on that, Hoval boilers are still down there,upto the end of the industrial road,that is where the locked gate is,the public footpath used to come out near the gate from the little footbridge but the path is now closed (as of this summer) if you go over the little footbridge you have to turn left now and that walk takes you passed Nether lock under the mainline railway bridge and back under the A46 further up towards the A,A46 junction

This is the little footbridge I am on about with the pine workshops in the background

P1050560.jpg

And this is the bigger footbridge at the back of Aldi near Newark center

P1050559.jpg

Rog

• Like 2

Rog, I’ve just checked on a 1920’s map and the red brick buildings in your photograph, next to the East Coast line were malthouses of which there were quite a few in the same area.

• Like 1

The Malt houses near the retail park have been turned into posh flats as you probably know, there is another block of them between the flats and the river, next time I'm over there I'll get a picture of them, nice buildings with some lovely brickwork, would be a shame to lose them

Rog

I would imagine the remaining old maltings now listed buildings. The one in your 'photo, however, is not in a very attractive location and I can't see anyone wanting to take that on. I think you can drive down there as there are some fishermans' huts nearby that can be observed from the A46 flyover. 

I know the huts you are on about but there is a locked gate across the dirt track road,the lock keeper has a key but thats about all, there is a notice just over the little footbridge saying that the footpath is closed and no access to the industrial estate from there, we walked it the other week down to the rail bridge and was hoping to come out near the rear of Homebase but as I said the gate is locked and there is no access,and we had to re-trace our steps back to the marina, I have never seen anyone around those fishermans huts but there are signs of drug use which is a shame

Rog

• Like 1