East of arboretum.. ie peel st, north sherwood st, etc 1940 to 1970

Likewise Terry..North Sherwood st.to all points.

I do recall the Canning family..all 16 kids passed thru our door and ate brown sauce sandwiches at some stage.

Foster Johns on the corner of Peel St.

Open on Sunday..2-4.

Newcastle Arms on Bluecoat..opposite the Hole in The Wall.

The National Garage washed cars in competion wth Moons below.

The Urdhu Library and Mrs Mingay for boxes of Tide,No:10's and Tik Taks.

The YWCA and Bills shop .

Major and Matlock St.

St.Albans Terrace backed onto Dennis & Roberts.

Ossington Villas housed the Guyat family..tasty boxer was Timmy..good stance.

Fon A Car began in mk2 Cortinas just behind the fleece.

The Clinton of course..Go Go dancers galore.

Weird thing about this area..entrys and alleys had doors..you could cut through to Shakespeare Villas from Mansfield Rd.

Wasn't the Napier pub just past Chatham St?

Hardy Hanson..good head on a pint of heavy in there.

The flashers and touchers used the Arbo gates this side...most of them residing in those old Doctors houses on Burns and Arthur St .

Good times and great for trolleying.

Late '68 without my knowledge i stood with the late Firbeck and watched a paint place burn down.

More memories if you want 'em kp.

• Like 2

Maybe it was The Saracens?...long time ago.Lots of raised streets and terraces up at the top of NSst.

Colville Terrace and Villas..have small unusual housing that takes in the incline of that area.

Bunta sandstone all over..these alleys bring you onto Addison St and Forest Rd.

I am sure Cliff posted an aerial shot of this area..revealing Gill St.

Hampden St. Alma Terrace etc..

3 hours ago, IAN123. said:

I am sure Cliff posted an aerial shot of this area..revealing Gill St. Hampden St. Alma Terrace etc..

I have a vague memory of it, but can't find it so here's another. For a reference the red arrow is Peel Street with the Women's Hospital in the lower centre.

eAEBaRT.jpg

• Like 2

That's the one Cliff.Gives the viewer an insight to the level of housing in this area.

Some fine big houses too..which became lodging and boarding places in my time.

Top right in front of Vic Station cliffs is the brewery..where York House once stood.Those glasshouses look familar too.

Dryden St. was fairly affluent in it's day...being popular abodes for clerical and the professional gent....fast forward 60 years and they were slums.

Prince Charles attended the opening of Trent Poly..late 69? He was jeered by angry mothers complaining of poor housing etc..

The most miserable boss from the  Registary Office attempted to shoo the protestors with his brush.

(He was famous for this..as he had banned confetti.)

At last!   My 'Tardis' broke down and had to walk all the way back.  I love this website but am fumbling and f*rting  about too much.  Does the Arboretum crowd still meet up - I seem to recollect that they did once a year or so.  Also, could do with lessons on competence re. website usage. Don't understand this third party business for photo displays.

Think there was an Off Licence top of Sherwood St called Reeves and another further up just past the Jewish cemetery 

Two paper shops, wireless shop, Saracens Head and Sir Charles Napier, stamp Shop on Forest Road East.

I lived on Colville Street and there was a bonfire in November outside a small WI building

Very interested in more photos of this area  

Thanks in anticipation for response

• Like 1

The wireless shop at the top of Sherwood St. was A1 Electrical, a supplier of electronic components run by a very knowledgeable chap called Geoff de Havilland. The shop subsequently moved to Radford Boulevard. I believe he was a member of the de Havilland aircraft family. I used him on many occasions for electronic parts for industrial machinery and he was very popular with the electronic hobbyists from the Boy’s High School.  There was also a used car dealership called Johnson’s. That was owned by a Mr. Kidd. I used to work with his son who eventually became chairman of Martin Emprex hosiery.  Both of those were opposite the Jewish cemetery.

• Like 1

This was an offy that was cut into rock.

The elderly owner insisted on only selling us Rawlings minerals.

Had gas lamps as well!

More evidence of raised dwellings on this road( to take in the incline ) up to Forest Rd.

8 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Thats right phil..near the top the car dealer with bi-folding doors and petrol pumps at one time.

Nearby was a 3 storey 19th century mill type building.

The garage is still there, but whatever was next door has been turned into student apartments.

Q9CrF2P.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve never been that far north from the town centre in my pub crawling days. Having lived in the Trent Valley since 1962 most of my drinking was in the local villages, Southwell or Newark. Sadly my beer drinking days are  over as it gives me gout and I daren't lose my driving licence.

• Like 1

My mum was born at 73 Sherwood St  has any one any photos/pictures near or  around that area please although it she was born in 1912.

1 hour ago, mary1947 said:

My mum was born at 73 Sherwood St  has any one any photos/pictures near or  around that area please although it she was born in 1912.

A difficult one, but this almost shows it from the rear. No 73 is opposite the second shop with the white blind. For reference, the road diagonally on the right is Shakespeare Street.

MtBE1eG.jpg

• Like 2
8 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Sadly my beer drinking days are  over as it gives me gout and I daren't lose my driving licence.

I wouldn't have thought that you could lose your licence by having gout!!:rotfl:

• Upvote 1

There was a pub outside arboretum park gates on north Sherwood street.just next along” sir Charles Napier” think it now a house or flats. Not sure how long it had been a pub. And there was one at bottom end of Sherwood streeet “Newcastle Arms”  I think that’s now most likely student flats.opposite the new hot yoga place on corner.

know they were open til a few years ago as passed them on way to work.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Wasn’t there a pub at the bottom of Sherwood St. that had topless barmaids. Never been -that’s why I ask. 

Clinton Arms.

I went in once when I was a student. The barmaid was wearing a woollen cardi with the supposedly "interesting" parts looped over and out of the "V" neck.

First and only time I've seen varicose veins on these things.