If you like a bit of ska music?

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I’ve just listened to those songs on YouTube .  Can anyone explain to me the difference between  reggae and ska?

Ska came before reggae, simpler & faster, then picked up again with The Specials mod/2Tone revival in 79/80s The Specials did cover 3 of the above, Green Onions was more of a mod anthem. 

I ain't posting any musical links, as much as it enjoyed posting them it seemed to annoy a few :biggrin:  But I did get a thank you for converting them to Nottingham’s Sleaford Mods :Shock:

• Like 1

Calypso>Bluebeat>Ska>Rocksteady>Reggae.. more or less.. I think...sort of..  Calypso more of a sort of early rap..with songs made up on the spot about topical stuff., but the rest just dance music with differing beats. Ska faster than Rocksteady.

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Can you explain why anyone would listen to either? :biggrin:

In my case, because it is interesting and fun music and it also formed a big part of my youth, including when I was a fab DJ.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

In my case, because it is interesting and fun music and it also formed a big part of my youth, including when I was a fab DJ.

I quite like listening to this music- and I was interested in the videos that showed how to dance to it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, radfordred said:

Green Onions was more of a mod anthem. 

An early hit by Booker T and the MG's (Memphis Group) who were effectively the 'house band' for Stax records, in much the same way the the Funk Brothers were the house band for Motown. Along with the Memphis Horns, their backing defined the sound of US 'Southern Soul'.  Youcan hear it all here:

Apart from Booker T Jones himself, Donald'Duck' Dunn and the rest, there was also Steve Cropper, guitarist, who co-wrote many songs with the likes of Eddie Floyd, Otis Redding etc.. including classics uch as Knock on Wood and Dock of the Bay. 

In the later sixties, the MG's had further instrumental hits with tunes such as 'Time is Tight', and 'Soul Limbo'..later adopted by the BBC as the Cricket theme tune.

Please note.. the above 5 songs are definitely not Ska.  ;)

• Like 3

True, but Soul Limbo really was a tune played in soul clubs before the BBC adopted it.  I played it down the 360, along with Time is Tight, and other instrumentals such as Billy's Bag by Billy Preston, and stuff by the Bar-Kays, Mar Keys and many others. I do recall being a bit miffed when the BBC adopted it..because it quickly removed the tune's credibility and exclusivity as a club anthem.