LewisThorpe1996

Carrington Street History

Hi everyone,

I'm currently studying history at Nottingham Trent and as part of my course my group has been tasked with researching the history of Carrington Street, specifically the Portland, Queens and Gresham buildings.

Any information, random facts, pictures or anything which would be of any use would be greatly appreciated.

At the top of your screen is a Search box, on the right. Type Carrington Street in there and up will come all the threads where this street is mentioned. If you are lucky there will be pictures too, but Photobucket removed a lot a while back when they demanded money to use their site.

• Like 1

You may not get an earlier picture of the area than this and it is an interesting pic from the 1830s(I think).

38784340940_90eccd2974_b.jpg

If I understand the article correctly  , the main frontage on the right of the original Midlands Counties railway buildiing became the goods offices  on Carrington Street . From the E.P. 06/01/1923 .

39699369995_0f4764aa55_o.jpg

• Like 3

To prove DAVIDW's comment, this is the scene today. You can just see the top of the castle above the current building.

aoS6pZ3.jpg

• Like 2

c25e5de71332d6a15ec8ac9b6992d55e.jpgRains TV and radio store next to Jacksons which were reknowned for bags/trunks /suitcases of exceptional quality.

c6a90746afcb874445fff9901bdf4c72--nottin"Rag..Rag, Bone". Fellas tatting like this often called..we'd throw a spoilt kids bike on his cart...for a tanner!

Me Mam traded a leather heavy bound set of WW1 volumes....for house paint.

Heard some Anglo Saxon that night !

Army & General Store was great for those RAF satchels for school or fishing.

Family Planning Centre was opposite.

Where Ralphs Shop was- i bought my first Sony Walkman ..£99.

The Family Planning Centre - was that the one known as The Foot Clinic (with all the mispronunciations which that suggests)?

• Like 1