This shot for jonab and Susyshoes.

Hucknall Main Street 1965.

• Like 1

Blimey!!!!!

That certainly brings back memories!

I'm desperately trying to remember the names of the shops, particularly on the LHS.

On the right foreground, there is Stallard's shoe shop, then Wakefields Chemists, the Post Office, a block of shops including Arthur Saxtons, the pet shop then Central Garage (?)

I could easily have been on that picture - maybe I am!!

Trying to recall the bread shop jonab..

was it Morleys?

Near the chemists was a stationary

Used to buy stevo's ink..cheaper than parker.

• Like 1

Yes.

Opposite  Wakefields was the Beehive Stores - grocers and sort of offie run by a right miserable old cus. They made nice ham cobs, though.

• Like 1

You had Fords and Fine Fare..Nellie Ricks..Rediffiusion..Barclays..pork Farms..pilgrim oak?

• Like 1

Looking at the Statue of Byron on Co-op House. Parish church (St Mary Magdalene) on the left (out of view) where Byron is buried.

Picture probably was taken from the steps of the town Library.

• Like 1

Yes indeed jonab..i think next time i am over a visit is on the cards.

Obviously the pubs & cinema were the reasons for my visits in the past.

The Blue Boar was a great place.

Ian, what was the pub next to the Springfield site called? I only remember it by a dreadful meal there one lunchtime. I suppose it’s gone now.

Yew Tree.Half moon.Bedstead?

Then nearer to moorbridge forest hotel.Apollo.

The oak in Hucknall was dire.

The Red Lion also.

2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

You had Fords and Fine Fare..Nellie Ricks..Rediffiusion..Barclays..pork Farms..pilgrim oak?

Pilgrim Oak? used to be Woolworth's  then CO-OP.  Bullock's toy shop , Porkfarm's  Headley wrights'. and the Blue boar used to be a zoo. don't forget the  Miners  Welfare .

• Like 1

And tut' wine bar - which was called ...

The wine Bar.

A haunt for a certain feline ex bus driver!

• Like 1

Don't forget Bulwell's shoe repair shop, Began in 1888.TW FOSTER, used to be on Commercial Road, now in the arcade, run by the successive generations of Fosters I.

• Like 2

An interior photo of NCT's Bulwell Depot.

images.jpg

• Like 2

Claim to Fame the statue of Lord Bryon which stands proudly above the Co-Op on the market place was painted by my uncle, he had to paint it twice a year, just a bit of useless information,

When we first moved to Hucknall  Nabbs lane was still on the drawing board, in fact  Polperro Way was the first road to be built, my two boys used to play in the woods and when it was winter went sledging up the Misk's  Hills.

They both started school at Holgate and as I had gone to an inner city school I thought that Holgate was excellent as it had Tennis courts, running track, cricket pitchers, disc throwing ring and lots more sport facilities that as a child I never had. Also their was lots of place's were kids could play football, if you went to Holgate remember Mr Beharold I believe he took the sport classes, correct me if  I'm  wrong.  The bypass was on the card's to take the pit lorry's out of the centre, I protested about it going though Holgate School complex also about the youngster's loosing there playing fields, but it did no good. Now question. Has it done any good? yes we have Tesco etc!  but what have we lost? we have lost the chance to train sport's to the next generation will we get any Golds at the next Olympic games ? no not if we keep getting rid of how sports grounds. When we marry it's for better or worse, I suppose we can add the statement to what the planners/council have done with Hucknall.

P.S.

Paving over the High street was on the cards when we first went to live in Hucknall early 70s  so I suppose it's something when they have finally done it.

• Like 2

Ahhh! Misk Hills. Not heard of them for a good number of years, in fact, I had to think for a moment about remembering them at all. As most things, though, it comes back to me. (Not been to Hucknall for nearly 50 years).