• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New life near the inner bye pass in Mucky Huckna this morning, what with the sun and seeing these so close to the Town centre made my day that little bit brighter.  

I’ve been to Hucknall Aerodrome twice in my life.  The second visit was Chulla’s ‘ham tea’ .......a day  I shall forever remember as many of us gave the good man a lovely send-off. The only other

Look at it this way BK, if some of those who think they are so clever had to do things that you have done in life would they still think they were clever. I have known people who were fine in their th

2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

You had Fords and Fine Fare..Nellie Ricks..Rediffiusion..Barclays..pork Farms..pilgrim oak?

Pilgrim Oak? used to be Woolworth's  then CO-OP.  Bullock's toy shop , Porkfarm's  Headley wrights'. and the Blue boar used to be a zoo. don't forget the  Miners  Welfare .

Don't forget Bulwell's shoe repair shop, Began in 1888.TW FOSTER, used to be on Commercial Road, now in the arcade, run by the successive generations of Fosters I.

• Like 2

Claim to Fame the statue of Lord Bryon which stands proudly above the Co-Op on the market place was painted by my uncle, he had to paint it twice a year, just a bit of useless information,

When we first moved to Hucknall  Nabbs lane was still on the drawing board, in fact  Polperro Way was the first road to be built, my two boys used to play in the woods and when it was winter went sledging up the Misk's  Hills.

They both started school at Holgate and as I had gone to an inner city school I thought that Holgate was excellent as it had Tennis courts, running track, cricket pitchers, disc throwing ring and lots more sport facilities that as a child I never had. Also their was lots of place's were kids could play football, if you went to Holgate remember Mr Beharold I believe he took the sport classes, correct me if  I'm  wrong.  The bypass was on the card's to take the pit lorry's out of the centre, I protested about it going though Holgate School complex also about the youngster's loosing there playing fields, but it did no good. Now question. Has it done any good? yes we have Tesco etc!  but what have we lost? we have lost the chance to train sport's to the next generation will we get any Golds at the next Olympic games ? no not if we keep getting rid of how sports grounds. When we marry it's for better or worse, I suppose we can add the statement to what the planners/council have done with Hucknall.

P.S.

Paving over the High street was on the cards when we first went to live in Hucknall early 70s  so I suppose it's something when they have finally done it.

• Like 2

Ahhh! Misk Hills. Not heard of them for a good number of years, in fact, I had to think for a moment about remembering them at all. As most things, though, it comes back to me. (Not been to Hucknall for nearly 50 years).

Now Flying Bedstead pub GONE it's now a co-op.

Hi IAN123

by the time you reached Badger Box could you walk in a straight line?

That's hell of a lot of "PUBS" do you think you could do it now? although how many of the Pubs that you went in are gone?

Correct Mary...it was what we called a

'Bat 'Round'..took it in turns to drive.

The driver would be on soft drinks all night.

5 in my Alpha..and off to the Staff of Life as well.

Never drink & drove...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I do recognise it.

It is the Central Station at the corner of Farley's Lane and Watnall Road. The picture was taken from Farley's Lane.

Central, it was not! It was right on the edge of the town.

It was one of three Hucknall stations. The LMS at the end of Station Rd/Papplewick Lane/Wigwam Lane confluence. Derelict for many years but now, I understand from Google maps, serves as the East Midlands Railway Station and as the Hucknall tram stop. I lived quite close by and must have used the train from there hundreds and hundreds of times as my means of transport to the City.

The third station (LNER) was quite close by, again on Station Rd between Baths Lane (which now has the arty-farty name of Ashgate Road) and Bolsover St. I only just remember it as running a passenger service but it was heavily used for transporting coal (it was quite close to Bottom Pit and linked to Linby Pit).

If you look on the 1915 map of Hucknall you will see a train station "Butlers Hill", I am unsure if this area was classed as part of Hucknall as it is now.

Whilst looking at that map I found that Linby a small little village was serviced by 2 train stations.

Limbo was next to Papplewick maybe these were the stations. 

Another Pub not mentioned is the Masons Arms bottom of Ruffs Drive Waltnall road. 

I would be very interested in seeing the Butler's Hill map if you are able to post it.

Regarding the Linby stations, I think any passenger aspect of these was incidental to their main purpose of transporting coal from the very active colliery there.

I have tried to upload the images to postimage but I am unable to do this as it will not recognise the file type and I don't know how to change this. What you can do is go to the site https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/ there you will find a list of maps , choose the 1915 map and search for Hucknall. This site has maps going back to 1895 and you can look and see how different areas have changed over the years. If anybody can help me on how you can change the file type so I am able to store maps on postimage I appreciate it.

Butlers Hill Station is situated between the Leen valley line of the GNR and the Nottingham Mansfield line of the MR. IAN123 photo shows the area just North of the station, sorry I cant be more helpful but I am unable to put them on postimage due to the file type.

Butler's Hill station was long gone before I was around although there was a very active railway system in the area feeding the LMS and the LNER stations at Hucknall and beyond. Also, the lines connected with the Bottom Pit and thus very active in transporting coal.

trogg, I wish you hadn't made me aware of that old maps site. It's absolutely fascinating and I will be occupied for hours/days/weeks looking at it!!!

• Like 1

jonab   looking at old maps is something that appeals to me ,in fact that is how I first found nottstalgia. We do have on this forum the residential expert Cliff ton, he can magic up maps of places demolished years ago and throw in a photograph for good measure. I am sure you will have an interesting time searching that site. There are many others that can produce great photos as well.

3 hours ago, trogg said:

We do have on this forum the residential expert Cliff ton, he can magic up maps of places demolished years ago and throw in a photograph for good measure. 

Thanks for that trogg :rolleyes:.   You're making it sound like I'm clever. The truth is more like "I have too much spare time so I spend hours trawling around the net looking for anything which crops up".

• Like 1

the maps of BH station ,thanks for posting them. I tried to copy one and but it wouldn't load on to postimage as it was the wrong file type, still trying to change it. So far complete failure, as I was once told by a senior officer he couldn't work out if I was the most determined person he knew or the most stubborn pig headed "person" he ever had the misfortune to know.