• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New life near the inner bye pass in Mucky Huckna this morning, what with the sun and seeing these so close to the Town centre made my day that little bit brighter.  

I’ve been to Hucknall Aerodrome twice in my life.  The second visit was Chulla’s ‘ham tea’ .......a day  I shall forever remember as many of us gave the good man a lovely send-off. The only other

Look at it this way BK, if some of those who think they are so clever had to do things that you have done in life would they still think they were clever. I have known people who were fine in their th

Hi, I am confused. The Peppers shop in my memory was smaller than the one in the photo, had only one window and I can not remember it selling papers.My sister believes, based on the age of her daughter, the launderette has been there at least 50 years and in a recent conversation was telling me a micro brewery had set up in what was half of the Peppers shop and had recently extended into the other half.

Fords is the shop I remember being next to Woolies. Nothing with a green door. The notable thing about Fords (to me) was that everything priced at (something) and eleven pence ha'penny

I don't recall a green door..but i did like Barry Austens shop.0e5676d66a601ee9f6d4388281afb204.jpgCheaper than Market Street in Nottm and i had for years a well made Norfolk jacket with all the pads & patches

( i was into Buffalo Springfield and The Downliners Sect.)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi jonab ,recent wisdom now suggests that Baileys Pot Shop was at one time directly opposite to Mrs Peppers, which suggests she occupied the premises which is now Boots.Earliest memories are of that shop being Shaws Butchers so just when Mrs Pepper moved in and indeed out to the shop facing the market are as yet, still surrounded in mystery. Can anybody remember? As a direct indictment of my skills of observation I have to confess that I walked round that corner for 5 years on my way to school. 

I have no memory at all of Shaw's butchers. On one corner of Albert St. was Woolies (now, according to GSV, it is Pound Stretcher) and on the other was Boots (as it is now - again according to GSV). On the other side of the High St. up from Watnall Rd. was Sketchley's on the corner then (confused as to the correct order nowadays) Nellie Ricks, Cecil Bowd, Bailey's Pot Shop, a hardware shop (can't remember the name but run by two women, one of whom was a Mrs Morton), the old Post Office then, I think, Central Garage before a twitchell and Arthur Saxtons electrical shop (now The Fruit Corner) and so on.

I don't recall Peppers as being anywhere else but facing the Marketplace.

That's the one!! Thanks. There was another on the other side, further down near Dewhurst's and the bus stop. Should remember that name but it's temporarily gone. Opposite the Sally Army.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Strictly speaking, this is before Hucknall had a market place. The photographer is looking towards Church Square with the church in the background. What is now the market place was occupied by buildings and private gardens.

H1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hedley Wrights was a very popular wet fish shop at the lower end of Watnall Road . Always remember going there as a kid for fish for Friday tea and being served by Ethel, a lovely lady with a permanent smile for the customers. Always top quality fish from there and good service.

Best wet fish shop ever, when his daughter took over part of the shop was made in to a sandwich bar, i don't think any  one has mentioned Sission's the electric shop, G A Estate took over Reddifusion (i think) electric showrooms and not a shop but a large part of Huncknall-people Hucknall Miners Welfare.

• 2 weeks later...

Both my son's used to swim for "FALCONS"  it was hard work, they would both go in the morning before school after school and Friday evening, at the time of them swimming for the   "Faclon " swimming team of Hucknall they  were doing really,

• Like 1