Not really up on rail lines..it began surely as Great Central..then when BR formed..the LMR?..

• Like 1

Maybe a Shawlmakers daytrip to the coast?12669495-872694379494938-256581360571154single deck Bristols?..line up in the Market Place.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

single deck Bristols

Image result for bristol mw 6g

That is the sort of bus that we went to Europe on our school trip but instead of the solid roof line above the window line ours had skylight windows

• Like 1

Travelling to Forest away matches with a local coach company where the driver was a mad keen Forest fan with crates of beer in the gangway. Often used to stop in a lay-bye to water the tyres and he used to take great delight in driving off leaving twenty or so blokes in plain view of the passing traffic.

Then came the invention of the Pi**a-phone that negated the need to stop.

5 hours ago, IAN123. said:

A slightly hazy picture of Peppers Sweet Shop.10387414-702172169880494-564233667465315

Much later picture than I remember. Peppers was a tiny shop set in a (most likely) Victorian building - the pictured building is relatively modern. Also, launderettes weren't invented in my time there!

Peppers Convenience Store , 155 Watnall Road Hucknall. Now Part of the Premier Chain of Stores.

• Like 1

Believe the shop that Mrs Pepper ran opposite the market place is now a micro pub.

Hi, I am confused. The Peppers shop in my memory was smaller than the one in the photo, had only one window and I can not remember it selling papers.My sister believes, based on the age of her daughter, the launderette has been there at least 50 years and in a recent conversation was telling me a micro brewery had set up in what was half of the Peppers shop and had recently extended into the other half.

The original Peppers sweet shop opposite the market place was pulled down in the early 1960s(?) It bore no resemblance to any building now standing.

This is the difficulty sometimes..the description is either wrong or incorrectly dated...

• Like 1

The shop next door to Woolworths was a Fords when I was a youngster, my next recollection of it was a Co-op supermarket before it became The Pilgrim Oak.

Fords is the shop I remember being next to Woolies. Nothing with a green door. The notable thing about Fords (to me) was that everything priced at (something) and eleven pence ha'penny

I don't recall a green door..but i did like Barry Austens shop.0e5676d66a601ee9f6d4388281afb204.jpgCheaper than Market Street in Nottm and i had for years a well made Norfolk jacket with all the pads & patches

( i was into Buffalo Springfield and The Downliners Sect.)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jonab said:

The notable thing about Fords (to me) was that everything priced at (something) and eleven pence ha'penny

Including liberty bodices...2 shillings and  11 1/2d!

• Like 1

Bailey's Pot Shop was on the other side of the High St.

• Like 1

Hi jonab ,recent wisdom now suggests that Baileys Pot Shop was at one time directly opposite to Mrs Peppers, which suggests she occupied the premises which is now Boots.Earliest memories are of that shop being Shaws Butchers so just when Mrs Pepper moved in and indeed out to the shop facing the market are as yet, still surrounded in mystery. Can anybody remember? As a direct indictment of my skills of observation I have to confess that I walked round that corner for 5 years on my way to school. 

I have no memory at all of Shaw's butchers. On one corner of Albert St. was Woolies (now, according to GSV, it is Pound Stretcher) and on the other was Boots (as it is now - again according to GSV). On the other side of the High St. up from Watnall Rd. was Sketchley's on the corner then (confused as to the correct order nowadays) Nellie Ricks, Cecil Bowd, Bailey's Pot Shop, a hardware shop (can't remember the name but run by two women, one of whom was a Mrs Morton), the old Post Office then, I think, Central Garage before a twitchell and Arthur Saxtons electrical shop (now The Fruit Corner) and so on.

I don't recall Peppers as being anywhere else but facing the Marketplace.

I remember buying catapult elastic from a shop across the High Street but not as far down as Central Garage.So thanks jonah, it would have been from the hardware shop you have just mentioned. I am reliably informed the business was called Lockes.