My mate John Draycott works for Bodill..."since school like".

Up on Portland if i recall.67527.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgEarly Bodill family..camping out?

• Like 1

My dad worked there for a while on machine assembly.

Landmaster were on Watnall Road, way past the airfield and RR.

Lord Byron's statue stands proud above Co operative House in Hucknall.59245.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgThe canal St.branch in Nottm was of similar design.

• Like 2

I remember the statue well but I never knew that it was of Byron until I left Hucknall. Daft, really considering he's buried only a few yards away (even if he is without a heart).

• Like 1

Thanks Ian ,tha`ts what my sister said. What then was the shop just down from Woolworths called? Green wood work around windows and doors? 

Let me have a think..i moved out of town in 1973...Hartwells for veg...Stallards changed names..bought a Ronseal lighter from a tiny Jewellers.

Was your lighter from Cawleys?

Mrs Peppers was the sweet and tobacconists facing the marketplace around the corner from the Beehive.

I don't recall the green painted shop next to Woolies at all.

• Like 1

Yes..jonab thanks..my 'Ronseal'!

came in a small leather Ronson case...

My Mum liked Hucknall..as it was quieter than Bulwell..near the market was a tea/ cafe shop that sold bread..was that Turners?..

I'd consider living their ..pending the mood of the boss.

• Like 1

Hi Ian, My knowledge of computing is minimal so forgive me if the answer to this question is self evident, but why do some of the pictures you post appear automatically ,for example the one of the Byron Cinema, yet others for example, Hucknall Station do not, nor will they download. It really is frustrating.

Geoffrey..postimage last year..were messing about..most lost the facility for a while..when it returned lots of photographs had vanished...sorry..will do a repair job- but they will be out of sequence with the captions..great pity..as gaping holes exist on many threads on NS.

I think it was called Turner's. There were a number of tea shops/small bakers in Hucknall which gave an undeserved gentility, considering it was a mainly mining town.

Not a clue what Hucknall is like now - not been there since 1970(ish) except for my dad's funeral - a fleeting visit in1978.

• Like 1

Many years ago..when i lived on Oakdale Rd. I used to go to Hucknall often..to the market and in the Brickyards was a meat seller on a Sunday..the best pork steaks ever.Sad that i have not returned for a long time..as when i am over in England..i tend to see Catfan, Bookies and the pub!

3 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Geoffrey..postimage last year..were messing about..most lost the facility for a while..when it returned lots of photographs had vanished...sorry..will do a repair job- but they will be out of sequence with the captions..great pity..as gaping holes exist on many threads on NS.

Ian, wasn't it photobucket where all the trouble was - when they wanted to start charging?

Postimage seems fine - I haven't lost any photos from there.  

Is it true that if you delete photos from the hosting site, then the photos disappear on here?

No Margie..postimage went AWOL last year for a short time..lots of pics went kaput!

The hosting site does'nt take up any of NS's space..i often have a clearout of images..and they are firmly embedded on here. Carni and i commented at the same time the problem started last year.

I suppose you noticed it more than me, Ian, as you post a lot of photos!

A great shame..as it leaves the reader wondering..i noticed Plantfit has a lot missing also.