Bailey's Pot Shop was on the other side of the High St.

• Like 1

Hi jonab ,recent wisdom now suggests that Baileys Pot Shop was at one time directly opposite to Mrs Peppers, which suggests she occupied the premises which is now Boots.Earliest memories are of that shop being Shaws Butchers so just when Mrs Pepper moved in and indeed out to the shop facing the market are as yet, still surrounded in mystery. Can anybody remember? As a direct indictment of my skills of observation I have to confess that I walked round that corner for 5 years on my way to school. 

I have no memory at all of Shaw's butchers. On one corner of Albert St. was Woolies (now, according to GSV, it is Pound Stretcher) and on the other was Boots (as it is now - again according to GSV). On the other side of the High St. up from Watnall Rd. was Sketchley's on the corner then (confused as to the correct order nowadays) Nellie Ricks, Cecil Bowd, Bailey's Pot Shop, a hardware shop (can't remember the name but run by two women, one of whom was a Mrs Morton), the old Post Office then, I think, Central Garage before a twitchell and Arthur Saxtons electrical shop (now The Fruit Corner) and so on.

I don't recall Peppers as being anywhere else but facing the Marketplace.

I remember buying catapult elastic from a shop across the High Street but not as far down as Central Garage.So thanks jonah, it would have been from the hardware shop you have just mentioned. I am reliably informed the business was called Lockes.

That's the one!! Thanks. There was another on the other side, further down near Dewhurst's and the bus stop. Should remember that name but it's temporarily gone. Opposite the Sally Army.

18238449-1306570132783503-68753337833245Makemsons shuttle to Hucknall...outside Pasco's.

Cheers Steve..another great snap.

• Like 1

Brings back memories. Used to catch a Mackemson bus from Bulwell Market to Boots Beeston factory in the early 1960`s .

An old photography plate image of Hucknall Market place.hucknall-market-place-1860.jpg1860's..

Strictly speaking, this is before Hucknall had a market place. The photographer is looking towards Church Square with the church in the background. What is now the market place was occupied by buildings and private gardens.

H1.jpg

Seem to be a few mentions of Hedley Wright's. Was this a well known place?  Only we own the premises now.

Relatively new place I assume but used we used to be on the opposite double corner, quite a bit older that one.

Hedley Wrights was a very popular wet fish shop at the lower end of Watnall Road . Always remember going there as a kid for fish for Friday tea and being served by Ethel, a lovely lady with a permanent smile for the customers. Always top quality fish from there and good service.

Best wet fish shop ever, when his daughter took over part of the shop was made in to a sandwich bar, i don't think any  one has mentioned Sission's the electric shop, G A Estate took over Reddifusion (i think) electric showrooms and not a shop but a large part of Huncknall-people Hucknall Miners Welfare.

Used to catch a Butlers Brothers blue Bedford OB bus to take me to Hucknall Swimming Baths to learn how to swim