Slightly off original subject. When we signed for the mortgage with the Nottingham Building Society, they put us on to a solicitor to make it all legal. We went to a little office  at the top of Castle Gate or Friar Lane. Talk about Dickensian inside. The was a plaque on the outside wall saying that Byron used to lived there.

It was an interesting procedure, in that we had to place our forefinger on a red stuck-on seal and take an oath.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Slightly off original subject. When we signed for the mortgage with the Nottingham Building Society, they put us on to a solicitor to make it all legal. We went to a little office  at the top of Castl

Nowt wrong with the Bench & Bar, personally I don't give a toss what the exterior of a pub looks like so long as the ale is OK. At least in those days there were no screaming out of control brats

20 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

Jill you were quite well in with the hierarchy of the Sherwood Rangers first Patrick McCraith & now Christopher Allen, both good men and both colonels.

Yes, knew them both well, NBL. Nice chaps with a good sense of humour!

21 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

It was an interesting procedure, in that we had to place our forefinger on a red stuck-on seal and take an oath.

I recall one senior partner, naming no names, who had been offering people a good book to hold while they took their oath when swearing affidavits and the like. Wonder if any of them ever realised it was a dictionary!

• Like 1

Grubby notes in Jiffy bag springs to mind Jill.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Whoever put that monstrosity next to Georgian houses wants stringing up! Ditto those who destroyed Drury Hill.

I suspect the Bench & Bar building was considered by its designer to be in keeping with the area. The bricks are unusually small and of a similar colour to the Georgian building next door. That was considered tasteful blending in the 70s.

jRuLStt.jpg

• Like 1

Vaguely remember them but never had anything to do with them, used to pass them on my way down Drury Hill to that old antique shop, he always seemed to have some nice black powder guns in. If only we had tomorrows newspaper back then we could have made a few shillings, went in one day with Neil Bacon and he had a lovely round stand with 12 original .577 Enfield rifles, Neil bought the ......................stand..

• Like 2

Only went in the Bench & Bar a couple of times on works do's. Truly appalling. Small similar coloured bricks maybe, but it's like comparing an Audi and a Corsa. Both made of steel, glass and plastic, but oh what a difference. 

Nowt wrong with the Bench & Bar, personally I don't give a toss what the exterior of a pub looks like so long as the ale is OK. At least in those days there were no screaming out of control brats running around while their "Chav" parents sat sending messages to their mates on FB !

• Like 3

Maybe, but we must persevere to retain our history and heritage.

A mud hut could serve good ale, but I don't want to see one in Nottingham ! 

2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Maybe, but we must persevere to retain our history and heritage.

A mud hut could serve good ale, but I don't want to see one in Nottingham ! 

I disagree, plastic & glass look good & modern, lets bury the past once & for all.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to Peoples College Secondary Technical School on College St, behind the Cathedral and just up from the Playhouse from 1961 until it closed then went to sea school. During the summer holidays I got a job working as a laborer on the new Bluecoat School on Aspley Lane doing the back breaking work of “hardcoring” foundations under the gym floor. After a month or so I got promoted to canteen manager, “dead cushy”, spending half my time making tea in an old wash type boiler and going to the shops for fags and lunches. Thursday afternoon was payday and almost everyone would skive off early to the Whitemore, to drink Home Ales. I was about 16 and the blokes would cover for me and only allow me to buy one round - such Gentlemen!

• Like 1

I think People’s College is now part of NCN or our University.  

Answer on a post card please if you know. 

• 1 year later...

Nice picture with clear memorys for me,,,,looks like my little grey 'Mini van' passing by,,,,,and i'm sure that coffee lounge on the right used to be a Jewellers where i bought an Engagement ring..............

50 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

At the moment it still is a jewellers  https://goo.gl/maps/e5qN1TcUmokz6TDSA

I'm sure my Wife's wedding ring came from there,she worked for M&S across the road.

That's one of the infamous  Mr Gerald Ratners businesses,

Who'd have thought a few words could cost so much. (approx £500m wiped of the value)

Whilst speaking to a few businessmen he was asked,

So Gerald “How can you sell this jewellery for such a low price?”,

Gerald answers, “Because it’s total crap.”