Fascinating, CT, and throws quite a lot of light on the interior of the house as I recall it during my days there. 

Interesting thread.  I'm wondering if anyone here can remember a company called 'Olds Discount.' In that area just up from Marks and Sparks.  It was some kind of finance company.  The back of it looked out over Broad marsh.  We did a lot of electrical work there during my apprentice years.

Very attractive young ladies in the offices.  We used to love working there.  ;)

Makes me realise just how small number 24 must have been originally. My office was actually part of number 26 and, I suspect, the room where Lord Byron was entertained was, in my day, Christopher Allen's office as it too was part of number 26 and the only room above the ground floor which was not partitioned and still had its original panelling. 

Jill you were quite well in with the hierarchy of the Sherwood Rangers first Patrick McCraith & now Christopher Allen, both good men and both colonels.

• Like 1

Slightly off original subject. When we signed for the mortgage with the Nottingham Building Society, they put us on to a solicitor to make it all legal. We went to a little office  at the top of Castle Gate or Friar Lane. Talk about Dickensian inside. The was a plaque on the outside wall saying that Byron used to lived there.

It was an interesting procedure, in that we had to place our forefinger on a red stuck-on seal and take an oath.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

Jill you were quite well in with the hierarchy of the Sherwood Rangers first Patrick McCraith & now Christopher Allen, both good men and both colonels.

Yes, knew them both well, NBL. Nice chaps with a good sense of humour!

21 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

It was an interesting procedure, in that we had to place our forefinger on a red stuck-on seal and take an oath.

I recall one senior partner, naming no names, who had been offering people a good book to hold while they took their oath when swearing affidavits and the like. Wonder if any of them ever realised it was a dictionary!

• Like 1

Bluecoat School firstly began as a Charity School for poor children on 

Weekday Cross, this was 1706-the council agreed to pay £5 per year for each child.

In 1853 the school moved to larger 

premises on Mansfield road, designed by local Architect T C. Hine.

In 1967 the school moved out to Aspley and the Mansfield Rd.building became an annexe for Peoples College and eventually an International Community Centre.

• Upvote 1

Whoever put that monstrosity next to Georgian houses wants stringing up! Ditto those who destroyed Drury Hill.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Grubby notes in Jiffy bag springs to mind Jill.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Nice MK .1 Capri outside The Bench & Bar pub.

Outside ?    More like inside.

• Like 1

Indeed jill..my late Father drove an armoured car down DH for a bet!

In the 40's...few doorsteps...were altered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Outside ?    More like inside.

The owner obviously didn't like to walk far for a drink! 

• Like 1

Question:were some of our lovely buildings listed then?..or did preservation orders exist...or ignored?

14 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Whoever put that monstrosity next to Georgian houses wants stringing up! Ditto those who destroyed Drury Hill.

I suspect the Bench & Bar building was considered by its designer to be in keeping with the area. The bricks are unusually small and of a similar colour to the Georgian building next door. That was considered tasteful blending in the 70s.

jRuLStt.jpg

• Like 1

Reading some old posts..Mick2 Me ?said the Bench & Bar was a happening place- i only really went in there whilst waiting for the Chef to open up The Camelot Club..a pernod and a new era in pub entertainment:

Table top version of Galaxican.

49 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

That was considered tasteful blending in the 70s.

jRuLStt.jpg

I'm sure his guide dog loved it! 

• Like 2

Vaguely remember them but never had anything to do with them, used to pass them on my way down Drury Hill to that old antique shop, he always seemed to have some nice black powder guns in. If only we had tomorrows newspaper back then we could have made a few shillings, went in one day with Neil Bacon and he had a lovely round stand with 12 original .577 Enfield rifles, Neil bought the ......................stand..

• Like 2

Only went in the Bench & Bar a couple of times on works do's. Truly appalling. Small similar coloured bricks maybe, but it's like comparing an Audi and a Corsa. Both made of steel, glass and plastic, but oh what a difference. 

Nowt wrong with the Bench & Bar, personally I don't give a toss what the exterior of a pub looks like so long as the ale is OK. At least in those days there were no screaming out of control brats running around while their "Chav" parents sat sending messages to their mates on FB !

• Like 3

Maybe, but we must persevere to retain our history and heritage.

A mud hut could serve good ale, but I don't want to see one in Nottingham !