Question:were some of our lovely buildings listed then?..or did preservation orders exist...or ignored?

14 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Whoever put that monstrosity next to Georgian houses wants stringing up! Ditto those who destroyed Drury Hill.

I suspect the Bench & Bar building was considered by its designer to be in keeping with the area. The bricks are unusually small and of a similar colour to the Georgian building next door. That was considered tasteful blending in the 70s.

jRuLStt.jpg

• Like 1

Reading some old posts..Mick2 Me ?said the Bench & Bar was a happening place- i only really went in there whilst waiting for the Chef to open up The Camelot Club..a pernod and a new era in pub entertainment:

Table top version of Galaxican.

49 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

That was considered tasteful blending in the 70s.

jRuLStt.jpg

I'm sure his guide dog loved it! 

• Like 2

Appearing at the top of Drury Hill is Low Pavement..this shot from 1967 ..also showing 2 Prefect/Poplars.93cbf8f552a49a47bf052207d61540ef--drury-

Vaguely remember them but never had anything to do with them, used to pass them on my way down Drury Hill to that old antique shop, he always seemed to have some nice black powder guns in. If only we had tomorrows newspaper back then we could have made a few shillings, went in one day with Neil Bacon and he had a lovely round stand with 12 original .577 Enfield rifles, Neil bought the ......................stand..

• Like 2

Only went in the Bench & Bar a couple of times on works do's. Truly appalling. Small similar coloured bricks maybe, but it's like comparing an Audi and a Corsa. Both made of steel, glass and plastic, but oh what a difference. 

Nowt wrong with the Bench & Bar, personally I don't give a toss what the exterior of a pub looks like so long as the ale is OK. At least in those days there were no screaming out of control brats running around while their "Chav" parents sat sending messages to their mates on FB !

• Like 3

Maybe, but we must persevere to retain our history and heritage.

A mud hut could serve good ale, but I don't want to see one in Nottingham ! 

Mortimers was a bit like that...but hearing Bad Company at full blast..bliss!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Maybe, but we must persevere to retain our history and heritage.

A mud hut could serve good ale, but I don't want to see one in Nottingham ! 

I disagree, plastic & glass look good & modern, lets bury the past once & for all.

• Like 1

I don't really like the 3 crowns in town...but the John Smiths is the best i have ever tasted!

Langtrys is filthy...the mice must have overalls on.

Lime Kiln is the best boozer for Hobgoblin..by far.

• Like 1

Looks like a nice venue for a meetup

Chulla!

Also..have i got this right? I once got a visitors passport from Low Pavement post office..a flimsy white affair.

• Like 1

^^^^^^^Not sure about the colour white, but I got a temporary passport from there back in the 70s when I had to go aboard in a rush.

I went to Peoples College Secondary Technical School on College St, behind the Cathedral and just up from the Playhouse from 1961 until it closed then went to sea school. During the summer holidays I got a job working as a laborer on the new Bluecoat School on Aspley Lane doing the back breaking work of “hardcoring” foundations under the gym floor. After a month or so I got promoted to canteen manager, “dead cushy”, spending half my time making tea in an old wash type boiler and going to the shops for fags and lunches. Thursday afternoon was payday and almost everyone would skive off early to the Whitemore, to drink Home Ales. I was about 16 and the blokes would cover for me and only allow me to buy one round - such Gentlemen!

• Like 1

I think People’s College is now part of NCN or our University.  

Answer on a post card please if you know.