National Tremor Foundation

Since ive made occasional comments about my ''Essential Tremor' (shaky finger) a couple of members have PM'd me, telling me they have a similar condition ,but don't wish to discuss it on open forum,.......this is just to mention ive come across a forum for it ie title of this thread.

Having read up a lot more on this condition its reckoned that more than a million people in this country suffer from it to varying degrees and all ages. Some are very sad and suffer largely in silence. I have had mine a few years now and over time as got a bit worse, but compared to many i'm lucky. With some it affects their head and legs as well, generally getting worse over time, but not always.

It even affects children and I really feel for them,having to go thru school and college/Uni etc, with the added pressures ,.........so just thought i'd bring up the site/forum where any sufferers can have a look and realise they are not on their own, and take some comfort.......

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

It's you, Ben, making all the ladies tremble with anticipation!

Seriously though, I've known a few people with this condition. Some had tremor to such a degree that people assumed they were suffering from Parkinson's, although there is no connection between the two.

• Like 1

Its a crazy condition Jill...........luckily mine is mild and I can joke about it.......but ive come across people who have it bad, and I find when I notice it and talk to them about it, they seem pleased........and usually join in the humour,...........my'' other hand' writing' is now pretty good, a bit slower but very neat, now use Electric shaver, which is great..........there is a lady I know slightly in Bulwell who has the 'shaky head' and when she sees me shakes her hand in response to me 'shaking' my head'.......humour is the best medicine........

• Like 2

I'd never heard of the condition until Ben mentioned it, but having done a bit of googling it seems to be quite common. One of those occasions when Nottstalgia can come up with something useful and not specifically about Nottingham. 

This is the link to the organisation Ben mentioned. http://www.tremor.org.uk/

• Like 1

A funny and sad story about the condition, years ago, before I knew owt about it, I was Store Detecting at the Coop in Stapleford......saw an old fella walking round the store with a packet of ''Cookeen'' in his hand, he was slowly sqeezing it and it began to run thru his fingers,     he eventually put it in his pocket and left the store.......I went up to him and said ''you've put a pack of ''cookeen'' in your pocket all squashed ,why?'' I had no intention of nicking him in fact I was a bit worried about him,........he replied ''sorry youth,i'm not very well''    I said ''its ok mate,get yersen home''    probably the first time I had come across Essential Tremor,........without realising it.......

• Like 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Yoos a gudun Ben, Notts folk are the best

Rog

• Like 1

Thank you Rog,     Mind you if the 'Cookeen' hadn't been squashed ,i'd have nicked him,   lol

• Like 1

A Coronation Street actor Rob Mallard who plays the part of Daniel, was on morning TV a few days ago. talking about the tremors he suffers from . He came on to explain his condition , after viewers had thought he was drunk on a previous appearance .

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/showbiz-news/rob-mallard-this-morning-tremor-14368598

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just an aside on the  'Tremor' on my recent holiday it completely disappeared,........plus the wifes  Arthritus was so much better............but my tremor came back with a vengeance today , climate must play a big part........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Maybe you should invest in a Spanish villa Ben, but whilst back home, perhaps a new thermal liberty bodice would see you through t the summer. Pity about the reoccurring tremor.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Bit of a accidental 'meet-up' in Wethers Bulwell this morning,,the lady with the 'shaky head' the bloke with 'Shaky hands' and head,and myself were having a bit of a shake and smoke together.......when out comes a bloke carrying a Pint,but shaking it all over,, i called him over and said ''join the club mate''..........he did and we all had a good laugh at ourselves,,   lol

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sadly quite true nowadays, this is the scond near to me in Bulwell in the last 3 months.

This young generation can't fight unless they use a knife these days, at least with a fist fight you both went & had a pint afterwards !

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/floral-tributes-bulwell-murder-scene-1734566

Now now chaps, no talk of fighting on this 'Trremor' site,, cos funny thing is when i clench me fist there is no shake whatsoever...........lol                                                 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Met another today........bloke about 30 and 6ft 6in.........built like the proverbial.........collected his coffee from the machine but left another one which was ready to go,,i said ey-up what about this one ''' listen he said, ive got a shaky hand and can only carry one awhite ?..........told him had same problem,,and we had a good chat about it,, always good to talk.......thought he was going to Chin me'''       :(

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Doctors this morning,,,,told me to stop taking the '''Primadone''' tablets,,,as they clash with my blood thinners,,,when i thought about it i realised my 'Shaky hand was no worse or better,,,so gladly will stop taking the tablets,,its 3 less per day.

Don't write much nowadays,, anyway seem to manage ok with the wrong hand''' and the only other thing the shake''' effected was carrying a drink in each hand,,,the left hand goes mad,,,so try to ensure the drink in the left hand is the 'Wifes'   lol

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

You're probably better off without em, Ben. A friend of mine was diagnosed with Parkinson's 6 months ago. I don't believe she has it as the diagnostic procedure is very low tech and includes symptoms which arise from other causes: strokes, chemo, arthritis, etc...all of which apply to her.

My mother was misdiagnosed with Parkinson's and given very powerful Levadopa drugs which made her ill.

My friend is in her 80s and on a low dose of Madopar. Fortunately, on that dosage, there are no adverse side effects. However, there are no benefits either, as there wouldn't be if one doesn't have the condition.

There is a new, scientific, test coming onstream for Parkinson's which, as some may have read, has been developed due to a retired nurse's incredible sense of smell. It has been found that people who have, or who will develop, Parkinson's secrete a particular chemical on their skin. Far more scientific than walking up and down the corridor while the consultant completes a tick list!

For those who do have Parkinson's, Levadopa can be a great help but in my opinion too many of these powerful drugs are being handed out like sweeties when they aren't needed.

• Like 1

Yes Jill..........Essential Tremor..is often confused with the onset of Parkinsons,,,,years ago when i noticed my own Tremor i thought i had Parkinsons,,,which my Dad had at the time.

The Doctor this morning checking my Tremor said,,,but you have no tremor'''?  had to demonstrate that it only kicks in when holding a Pen or owt else,,,.......Garden Peas on a fork are a bleddy nightmare...........

Generally, people with Parkinson's only have the tremor when the limb is at rest, not when they eat, drink or write, etc. The opposite of your problem and also my friend's.  If it means 3 less pills, a fair exchange!