National Tremor Foundation

We are posh, we have forks that we stab the peas with..:crazy:

• 1 year later...

Noticed a strange thing the other day..........my Essential Tremor'' is in my left hand (i'm a leftie) and i find it impossible to write at all with it now........the need to write nowadays for me is few and far between,,,,,,So the other day i was asked to sign for a Parcel at the door....i have more or less mastered writing with my right hand and duly signed.....after i thought,, that is strange my right hand Signature is exactly the same as my left one used to be...

Thought i'd share that with you all.....Have any of my fellow sufferers noticed the same ?

My signature has never been readable so it makes no difference at all. I think it came from having to sign so much useless paperwork at work.

Has anyone thought of using a "Splayd" It is a hybrid between a spoon, a fork and a knife. The fork usually has four pronged and it is dished like a spoon and the edges have  "cutting" edges that are not sharp enough to cut your mouth but do a reasonable job on veggies and softer meats like chicken, fish, liver or sausages.

The more urbane Aussies call them Sporks They were invented in the 1940's in NSW. At one time Viners of Sheffield were the UK licencees.

image.jpeg.61c33de180edaad423a2d407e305f9ef.jpeg

• Like 1
On 3/6/2018 at 9:07 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

It's you, Ben, making all the ladies tremble with anticipation!

Seriously though, I've known a few people with this condition. Some had tremor to such a degree that people assumed they were suffering from Parkinson's, although there is no connection between the two.

Jill if you are sitting resting and your leg/hand tremor then get your GP to look into it. If it's just a tremor when you are drinking you wine or beerthen don't spill any.

On 3/6/2018 at 9:24 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Its a crazy condition Jill...........luckily mine is mild and I can joke about it.......but ive come across people who have it bad, and I find when I notice it and talk to them about it, they seem pleased........and usually join in the humour,...........my'' other hand' writing' is now pretty good, a bit slower but very neat, now use Electric shaver, which is great..........there is a lady I know slightly in Bulwell who has the 'shaky head' and when she sees me shakes her hand in response to me 'shaking' my head'.......humour is the best medicine........

Hi Ben when i was a hairdresser and worked at Hair Progress in Buwell my first ever client named Mrs Monk and she had this condition where her head would not stop shaking, the only problem was she used to have her hair tinted/coloured and guess what ? yes the colour she had on her hair was BLACK  you can imagan cleaning the salon after Mrs Monk had left oh forgot it was also sets with rollers no blowdrying. How many rollers i picked up from the floor I have lost count.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info OZ..........Where can i get a ''Spork''?   fed up scattering Peas everywhere............

1 hour ago, Oztalgian said:

My signature has never been readable so it makes no difference at all. I think it came from having to sign so much useless paperwork at work.

Has anyone thought of using a "Splayd" It is a hybrid between a spoon, a fork and a knife. 

image.jpeg.61c33de180edaad423a2d407e305f9ef.jpeg

SPORK

26 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Thanks for the info OZ..........Where can i get a ''Spork''?   fed up scattering Peas everywhere............

You can get them at most shops that sell cutlery here in OZ but unless you can find a shop that stocks Viners cutlery in the UK it looks like you will have to buy on-line, Viners have a website that you can look at and I can see that there are quite a few available on EBay.

You can buy special spoons that somehow adjust for the tremble but they are many hundreds of dollars here. One brand is called Gyenno another is Liftware they all have interchangeable ends, spoons, forks and Liftware have a Spork but it looks like they don't ship to the UK I am sure one of our USA members can get one and ship it to you.

• Like 1

Had a look BK thanks........but while looking saw some nice walking sticks.....when i left Hospital they gave me one of their NHS ones....as i was still unsteady on my feet.....don't need one now...so i will return it to them.......

However being a tad Vane'' i liked the look of some on that site....So sending for one to 'Ponce'' about  with when i get out again...........Bulwell here i come.......Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly used to Dance with em....so why not me.........:wacko:

• Like 5

Get a sword stick Ben for when you’re walking the streets of Bulwell late at night!

I’ve got one or two unusual ones I’ve picked up from antique shops over the years. I’ve got a couple of the longer pole varieties. I use one when I go to country shows. With a tweed jacket and a flat hat it gives me an air of rustic authenticity! 

• Like 2

Well, I hope you tart yourself up when you do your piano recitals.

Ben, glad I could help. Tina swears by Careco.