Hey - new to the forum

Hey folks, 

I'm new to the forum, but not new to Nottingham and County. 
I was born in Sherwood, lived in Calverton, Blidworth, Hucknall, Basford, Carlton ( then Brighton) and now Colwick.

Some members on here may remember carltongal, who was proprietor of Kat's Gardening Forum. Kat (or Tina as she was also known) was my mum. 

Sadly, we weren't on the best of terms, we'd not spoken in a number of years, and it was actually through this forum that I found out she'd passed away in 2012, back in 2014.  I know she was keen potted gardener and loved local history. 
My dad and her split when I was 4 and living in Blidworth. I had much, much more contact with my dad's side of the family though and know much more about them than my maternal side. 

Kat (it's short for Katina. Her middle name was Carole, maiden name; Holmes. She was married before she married my dad, Bob, to a man with the surname Wallace. She re-married after divorcing my dad too, to Michael Pearey, and had a daughter,  Rebecca) used to work on Woolpack Lane in the Lace Market, but I also remember her working for the Donkin's in Blidworth, from home, on a large frame knitting machine.

Anyway, I know my mum went to school in Carlton and from her posts on here, lived in Oakdale Road, Carlton around 1956 (she was born in 51). She never talked about her parents & I don't ever remember meeting them. I never got the impression that she wanted to talk about them. I'm interested in finding out anything about my maternal side of the family, if anyone knew my mother from when she was young as well, that would be great. 

Thanks in advance, 

Phil

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Phil..i think the Donkins still live in Blidworth. On Saville Street somewhere..bin' a few years since i was down bottoms though .

Hey, I know Tina Donkin was living out Mansfield way. I was friends with her on Facebook up until a few months ago. 

• Upvote 1

Wasn't Babs (of piggy and babs, members on bere a while back) big  friends of Kat? Got the idea they grew up together. They do post on FB every now and again.

11 hours ago, katyjay said:

Wasn't Babs (of piggy and babs, members on bere a while back) big  friends of Kat? Got the idea they grew up together. They do post on FB every now and again.

Yes, Babs was a close friend of Kat. I remember meeting Kat at some of the early Nottstalgia meet-ups I attended.

Cheers for the replies so far. Just from reading my mum's posts on here, her dad's name was George Holmes and he worked at Trent Concrete in the 50s and 60s. 
I think he might've been born in 1912 and died in 2000. (George William Holmes - Basford records) 

15 hours ago, Johndoley said:

Hi Phil, did your mum actually live on Oakdale road or was it Parkdale road, I lived in the area in the 1960s and seem to remember someone by that name, 

Hi John, I think she lived on Oakdale where it meets Southdale. I couldn't be 100% on that though as she'd never talk about it when I was younger, I'm just going on what I've seen from her posts on here. 

Thanks for your interest everybody, it's very much appreciated.

27 minutes ago, PhilK said:

Cheers for the replies so far. Just from reading my mum's posts on here, her dad's name was George Holmes and he worked at Trent Concrete in the 50s and 60s. 
I think he might've been born in 1912 and died in 2000. (George William Holmes - Basford records

Not sure you have the right George Holmes there .

As Ann says Kat's birth cert will tell you the correct parents .

From the BMDs , Kat's mother's maiden name is given as THORLEY .

There's a wedding in Basford district in 1948 for a George Arthur Holmes to a Florence E THORLEY . Which could be them .

Haven't looked at George A Holmes records as there are a lot with that name .

Florence THORLEY is possibly the daughter of Peter THORLEY born 1895,  who in 1939 was living at 4 Sale Street , Derby. 

Her mother was also called Florence ( nee Florence Jane Allsopp). She died quite young in 1926.

As well as the younger Florence  born 1923 other siblings were :

Frederick b 1919

Leslie b1925

Alfred b1918

Joseph b1920

Looks like someone else was searching for a Holmes/THORLEY pair back in 2012

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=611092.0

It's been bugging me that I couldn't find which was the right George A Holmes for Kats father . 

This is a complete guess more to do with location and probably wrong but I'll list it anyway , as it may be useful to some other random internet researcher .

There's a birth in 1920 for a George A. Holmes in Basford district with mothers maiden name of Widdowson. A name that often crops up on here . (Carni !) .

1911 Census living at 3 Fern Terrace is a Wallace Holmes and wife Ethel (nee Widdowson). 

At that time there is only one child -Ethel Vina Dorothy Holmes born 1911 .

Move forward to the 1939 Register and Wallace and Ethel are living at "Elmhurst",  Cavendish Road Carlton. Others listed are :

Ethel V.D born 1911

William F. born 1913

Gladys born 1917 ( she married a Mr.Marsh).

Wallace born 1921.

There is a deleted entry which could be George Arthur who may have been in the forces .

So if it's the right George A , the location isn't too far from Oakdale , the age is right if he's the one that married Florence Thorley ( b1923) in 1948 .

As I said pure guess , probably wrong and the wedding cert would give the parents names as said before .

Edit :

There is a death in Melbourne , Australia for an Ethel Vina Dorothy Holmes who died 2005 . A pretty distinctive name , could there be more than 2 with that name ? So did others in the family migrate ? Also details of a will , that unfortunately I don't have the right subscription for .

50 minutes ago, DAVIDW said:

There's a birth in 1920 for a George A. Holmes in Basford district with mothers maiden name of Widdowson. A name that often crops up on here . (Carni !)

Hello David, I have been looking through my tree and tho I know the Widdowson connection is there somewhere I can't find it, but I will keep looking. I'm afraid my tree is very amateurish and not very organised. I too have found the birth of George A Holmes 1920, mother Widdowson but can't help with any more information. I will try to find the connection with my clan if possible. Sorry I'm not much help.

• Like 1

No problem Carni . 

The Widdowson name came up in connection to the Comery name you were researching .

It may jog someone's memory ?

More here from previous thread :

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/11422-good-old-notts-names/?tab=comments#comment-184887

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Johndoley said:

Hi Phil, could you tell me where you're mums old posts are on the site, it's stirred something in my memory or what's left of it, thanks John 

Phil's mum operated as carltongal.     To find all her posts :-

Across the top of the page click on Activity,  then click on Search (to the right), 

Having done that, click on Member Search, put carltongal in the box Search Term.

You will then see a panel with carltongal's name. Click on Find Content

Thanks David. I have just looked through the info on the link you gave me and you have saved me, possibly hours of trying to find the connection. Widdowson and Comery certainly were popular names in the 1800s. From the looks of it, I probably pass a distant relative every few minutes walking around Carlton. lol.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, +Carni & +DavidW 

Firstly, sorry for not being around for a bit, work takes me up & down the country at the minute. 
Secondly, wow.. thanks for having the kindness to have a dig around the records, it's very much appreciated and gives me something to look into. There's a big possibility that I drive past relations in Carlton every time I go through.
I know my mum had researched some of her tree, but I, sadly, don't have access to any of that research. 
I'll note these possibilities down and have a root around at some point, when I have some spare time. 

If only they did a "Who do you think you are?" for normal folk... :)

Thanks again.
PK

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, PhilK said:

If only they did a "Who do you think you are?" for normal folk... :)

Haha, not sure about that one PhilK. The amount of interesting info we have turned up on my tree certainly gives some twists and turns. All I can say is  if you do manage to start delving, do it with an open mind. Good luck with your tree.:) 

• Upvote 1