Any more bodgers here?

Not bodgers as in 'Green Wood Turners' but bodgers as in patchiing up and making do.  After many years sitting in the garden in all weathers, one of my old iron ended benches finally collapsed into a heap of soggy timber and rusty screws.  After drying it out for some time in the shed I have now bodged it up a bit and using some extra steel stays and new screws, nuts and bolts, have put it back together.  It has now had its first coat of paint but still requires a second coat of Hammerite on the iron bits.  This year the greenhouse is to be converted into a half production area and half seating area to compliment the seating area in the polytunnel.  It is intended that this bench will sit in the greenhouse.  Here is its after its first coat of paint:

39967705744_7d49f2070d_c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Very nice Compo,you must be proud of the seat,brought it back to life,well done mate

Rog

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Waddo said:

Just need to do the tool box next then compo!!

I did wonder if anyone would spot the tool box! It was exactly forty years old last christmas.  I asked for a Ronson "Comet" fag lighter and received the tool box.

• Like 1
On 3/8/2018 at 6:20 PM, IAN123. said:

Compo...fancy a holiday here..

Ireland has been on our wish list of places to visit for many years, Ian, but unless you can provide tools and a few lengths of hardwood suitable for slats, plus an assortment of nuts and bolts, etc. I think it may not be a practical option.  However, This type of bench can be reparied over and over.  Mine was originally one good end, one broken end and a pile of old 1" x1½" timber.  I built it up, let the weather destroy it and then rebuilt it.  If you have time, the job is easily do-able.  Believe it or not - ten years ago I mended the broken end (Scrollowork) with araldite and it is still good!

In 2014 I decided that it was time to tidy up the station porter's trolly (Photo 1).  Alas, when I tried to take it to pieces it really did come to pieces (Photos 2 & 3).  A bit of work and a couple of offcuts of timber from the local joiner and finished up with this (Photo 4).  I am useless at joinery and everything I make is just a little bit wonky.  On this occasion it worked out ok.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Had an emial from Jean.coging this morning. He has been trying to post a reply to this topic but is struggling to get his old computer to co-operate with the images.  He has requested that I put these four pictures up for him, so here they are. The photos are of a Cider apple "Scratter" that was in Scrap condition.  Here is an exrtact from the email he sent me: "...  It was given to me by the farmer who I bought the press from. The cast frame was smashed and in four pieces. I plated the frame with 6mm steel plate and had it welded, so as to encapsulate the frame.

It is now a lovely scratter and has been responsible for a few hundred gallons of cider."  [May I suggest that if a member of admin could get in touch with him you may be able to help him with the photo posting.]

39810562315_e2b116b028_b.jpg

39810556045_b80c889646_b.jpg

38895463040_ae3895806a_b.jpg

40706081821_ec887d6255_b.jpg

• Like 6

Quality,pure quality, well done Terry,looks really good, it's well worth saving old engineering the likes of which will never come back in this throw away society

Rog

• Like 2

Rog, Your Petter may end up driving that :biggrin: I'm in the process of restoring two other scratters . One smaller and one bigger that that one.

They will go on display along with the cidre press here in the village in June. 

• Like 2

I’ve got one of those in the shed. A bit smaller and made of stainless steel. I didn’t know it was called a scratter. I’ve also got a fruit press. When I retired I thought I’d lead the rural life and make cider and all that rustic stuff. The results weren’t good and the following year when I got a few sheep to to eat down the orchard grass they chewed the bark off the apple trees and killed most of them. The sheep were returned to the farm. I replanted some trees and we’ve got more apples than we can eat so I might have another go this year. I also planted a quince and a medlar which are now very prolific but we don’t eat them. I wonder if I could make quince or medlar wine. It would probably be disgusting.:crazy:

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve got one of those in the shed. A bit smaller and made of stainless steel. I didn’t know it was called a scratter. I’ve also got a fruit press. When I retired I thought I’d lead the rural life and make cider and all that rustic stuff. The results weren’t good and the following year when I got a few sheep to to eat down the orchard grass they chewed the bark off the apple trees and killed most of them. The sheep were returned to the farm. I replanted some trees and we’ve got more apples than we can eat so I might have another go this year. I also planted a quince and a medlar which are now very prolific but we don’t eat them. I wonder if I could make quince or medlar wine. It would probably be disgusting.:crazy:

Should have had roast lamb washed down with cider Phil !

• Like 2

Honestly they were a total pain. They kept escaping and one got maggots in its foot and had to be isolated in the stable and treated daily. My daughter liked them so much she’s been a veggie ever since. We’ve got four cats now and they’re not much trouble as you will know, and they are more affectionate than sheep which are totally dumb. Can’t eat cats though unless you’re a Korean. :biggrin:

I worked with dead sheep for 11 years - they really are a pain in the bottom!

• Like 1

We kept sheep for a few years too. Started off with 6 ewes in lamb and ended up with a flock of 40+ even though we sadly took most of the little boys to market (hated that bit)  We enjoyed having them, in a funny sort of way because they were a pain, and as Phil commented they occasionally escaped into the neighbours field. Lambing was normally in February and often happened in the middle of snowy nights. We were short of grass one year and had to drive them to the next village to a friend’s field. We did this very early on a Sunday morning, all went well until one or two sheep decided to go into gardens along the way and ate a load of flowers. Our Jack Russell was a great sheepdog and enjoyed keeping the flock in line.  The journey entailed crossing the A418 which was nerve-wracking. Then we had to bring them all back home a couple of months later.  They were great times but I wouldn’t want to do it now.

https://postimg.org/gallery/3dt7rc34e/

Hope these pics end up on here, one is an orphan lamb keeping warm in our airing cupboard. He used to run around the garden with our dogs.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

My final job involved looking after a flock of sheep in an experiment to see how scrapie affected subsequent generations. A flock was made up from the offspring of scrapie infected Shetland ewes and kept until they died of old age or disease.  The object was to determine how scrapie might be passed through generations.  All was fine until it came down to the last of the offspring.  The head of the project committed suicide and his successor forced me to dispose of the last remaining ewe.  I managed to find a home for her and she lived another two years before dying of old age.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Found this on "youtube" could come in handy,you never know. I have used this idea myself in the past to get me out of the you know what

Rog

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Don't think so,it's only a thread chaser not cutter, although it does seem a lot of trouble to go to when taps and dies ar cheap enough,you could also use a purpose made thread chaser,I have a couple somewhere,double ended and four sided for different threads one imperial and one metric, would you have a use for them Ben

Rog

• Like 1

Neat fix if you get in a mess and do not have time to wait for a tap to arrive in the post.

It is only chaser and only as good as the hardness of the bolt material; the one shown was quite soft given the drilling time and speed.

• Like 2