Grew up in Woodthorpe in the 50's 60'S

Hi all,

Newbie here, Born in 1952 and grew up in woodthorpe until I was 21,  then sherwood for a couple of years, then various places notts ,derbys.

I went to Arno vale school and later Redhill.

Anyone around lived on melbury Road I wonder?

Now living in Catalunya Spain for the last 12 years.

Bought back many memories, reading the various topics, Breckhill, the brickyard etc !

Great Fourm Thanks all

Steve C 

Hi Steve

I was born in Woodthorpe in 43 and left for the rustic life in 62. I also went to Arno Vale and then to Mellish. I knew your headmaster at Redhill, Walter Weddle, as he lived just up Park Rd. from us and I had an assignation with his daughter! The only people I knew from around Melbury Rd. were Nick Sharp, David Fenn and Peter Duckering but they would have been in my age group.   

Hello Steve.  I was born and grew up in Woodthorpe, but our paths probably didn't cross as you are 9 years younger than I am.  I also went to Arno Vale but I suspect the teachers I had wouldn't still be there when you were.  There was my first teacher, Mrs Lockwood, then Miss Lee, Mrs Hatter, Mrs Smith? Mr Greenfield?  and Mr Turner.  Phil Mayfield on here may have some more names and/or corrections to that list.  Mr Brace was the headmaster.   

I knew a couple of people who lived on Melbury Road  - Marian whom I used to go to ballet with (can't remember her surname) and Barbara Cornes who went to Carlton-le- Willows with me.  She may not have actually lived on Melbury Road but it was in that area.   Which secondary school did you go to?   

Hope to read more of your memories.....

Thanks all for the welcome!

Phil....Yes I Remember weddle...and his cane !! David Fenn rings a bell but as to the others the grey matter isnt that good.

Maggie Yep remember Mrs Lockwood,and Mrs Hatter, My first teacher there was Miss Johnson and she was new when I started there, we contacted each other on Friends reunited years ago she was in here 80's.

Marion i do remember a Marion she lived in a new build house opposite the bottom of Patley road, and Barbera Cornes lived on Patley road in fact the top of our garden on Melbury road touched the top of theirs ! She had a sister if I remeber correctly.

My Secondary school well, after Arno vale I went to Arnold High for a year but hated it and rebelled a little... the Head after the first year asked me to either leave or stay on and start the first year again. So of I went to Redhill and as far as School goes it wasn't to bad. 

Thanks all for the replyies, I have many memeories of the development of woodthorpe, Brechill the Brickyards , the old railway line from Daybrook through Maperly planes ( I remember steam trains on it ) all great places to play !!

Even Remember Tree tops farm being demolished and the house made into a pub ! 

Other memories like Camping in Lambley Dumbles, great fun .

Steve

• Like 1

Steve, fancy your knowing Mrs Lockwood - I would have thought she'd retired by the time you started 

Arno Vale!  The Marian you knew, did she have long black hair - that's the main thing I remember about her.  Barbara Cornes had eyes which were different colours.  We used to ask her if it made any difference to the way she saw things.   I don't remember her sister - was she younger than .Barbara?  I've just remembered I also knew a Barbara Redpath who lived somewhere round there.  

Did you go sledging on Breckhill fields or had they already started building all the new houses?  Did you ever use the little path that went from near the bottom of Melbury Road up to Breckhill Road?  I lived on Woodthorpe Drive until I was about 19 or 20 and spent much of my teenage years on Woodthorpe Park in the evenings.....

I, too, remember seeing a train passing through the park.... 

if you are on Facebook there is an interesting group called Friends of Woodthorpe Grange (I think).  There's lots of information on there...

Keep  posting your memories ...

Hi Margie,

Mrs lockwood was quite old i remember and I believe she retired whilst I was there.

Marion yes she had black or very dark hair, her father had a small hoisery factory in Netherfield, I think she also had a sister but not sure.

Yes I did go sledging on the death track as we called it , the path up the side of the fields if I remember correctly we called the cinder track. I vaguely remember the old Lady that lived in the wooden chalet, I think it burnt down eventually. I think in the summer there used to beba horse or donkey on the fields hence the barb wire fence at the bottom of the field.

I recall the bulldozers starting work and the builders A C Butler starting work building the houses .

Woodthorpe park yes we used to go play golf I think it was sixpence at the greenkeepers shed. 

Also remember walking through the park on the way to the metrapole on a Saturday morning .

Anyone remember the big fire in the brickworks on maperly plains ?

Steve

Mrs Lockwood taught the first year infants at Arno Vale. She was an evil old bat who should never have been in charge of children. She was feared by all. Old Ma Lockwood she was called. I regularly used the cinder track and sledged down the death track in winter and also played pitch and putt on Woodthorpe Park. We could get in there after hours through a bent railing. It was my uncle, Bob Burton, the coal merchant who once kept a horse on Breckhill fields - not to pull his cart though - he had a lorry!

Steve, Mrs Lockwood seemed very old even when I was there!  She was a strict teacher and had 'favourites' .  Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them (she also taught my brother who was 7 years older than me and she liked him!)

I remember horses on the fields, too.  I also remember a fire on the fields somewhere near to Somersby Road in about 1953 I think.   I remember walking towards it with my friends and seeing and smelling the smoke.  But  this couldn't have been the fire you mentioned as you were only a Toddler at that time!  Of course my memory could be playing tricks and the fire could have been mid to late fifties!   The thing I remember about Breckhill fields was the masses of Rosebay Willow Herb (we called the flowers 'Devil's fingers')

When you walked to the Metropole, you would have walked up the cinder track then Maitland Road, before turning on to Woodthorpe Drive, I expect.  If you did then , you would have passed our house which was nearly opposite the top entrance to the park.   Our house was number 67 next to the post box.   

I also used to go to ABC Minors there but that was before your time...

Just seen your post, Phil.  Yes I agree with your comments about a certain teacher..

• 1 year later...
On 3/9/2018 at 11:31 AM, philmayfield said:

Hi Steve

I was born in Woodthorpe in 43 and left for the rustic life in 62. I also went to Arno Vale and then to Mellish. I knew your headmaster at Redhill, Walter Weddle, as he lived just up Park Rd. from us and I had an assignation with his daughter! The only people I knew from around Melbury Rd. were Nick Sharp, David Fenn and Peter Duckering but they would have been in my age group.   

I've only just joined this site but have just seen you had an assignation with Walter Weddle's daughter!!  I went to the same school as her and am still vaguely in touch!  

What do you mean, Phil, "least said the better"?   We want to know all about it! 

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Yes, two boys, Peter and Foster. Both went to the High School but I think they were teenage when we were at Arno Vale.

I suppose one of them could have married your ex.  Who knows...