Royal Visit 24th June 1914

I’ve got one of these Commemorative medals that belonged to my Grandad.  It’s bronze and 3cm diameter, complete with the ribbon.  This is not the one I have (it’s more clean and shiny than mine)  just wondering if they were handed out free or if my Grandad would have had to buy it.  

I’ve done a brief research and apparently King George V and Queen Mary had a very busy day on 24.06.1914 in Nottingham, spent the night at Welbeck as guests of Duke of Portland and went on to Mansfield, Derbyshire and Yorkshire. 

All this gallivanting around the country just one month before WW1 started.  

2_FA234_BA-_D179-4_DD6-81_FA-_B99_D81_A9

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Could the medal possibly have been handed out to schoolchildren on the day ? 

I can't see any other mentions of any medals apart from a number of references to schoolchildren getting them . Such as this :

medal commemorative of the visit of their Majesties is to be presented to each scholar attending the elementary schools. 
19 June 1914 - Nottingham Evening Post
8 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

Could the medal possibly have been handed out to schoolchildren on the day ? 

I can't see any other mentions of any medals apart from a number of references to schoolchildren getting them . Such as this :

medal commemorative of the visit of their Majesties is to be presented to each scholar attending the elementary schools. 
19 June 1914 - Nottingham Evening Post

That looks a possibility but my Grandad was beyond School age as he was born in the 1880s.  Can’t think of anyone else in the family who would have been at school at that time.  Maybe they were given out to certain companies? He was with Boots, then and right through his working life.  This will remain a mystery but it’s nice to now own it. 

Thanks for finding that information David.  

• Upvote 1

Nice picture CT, my mother would have been four when that was taken.

It amazes me how every body even the children wore a hat and it looks like the 

women had some very elaborate ones. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, sue B 48 said:

It amazes me how every body even the children wore a hat and it looks like the 

women had some very elaborate ones. 

Look at any photos pre-1930ish and it's almost impossible to see anyone not wearing a hat. Owning a hat shop in those days must've been a licence to print money.

May as well post this pic of Queen Mary arriving at "Nottingham Station"in 1914 , together with the Duke and Duchess of Portland .

Found it whilst looking for a pic of the Duchess for (ahem) a certain FB page !

The Duchess  (nee Winifred Dallas-Yorke) seemed a bit of a Lady Di of the day in her charitable work .

39028730830_212694acdd_o.jpg

• Like 1