Hi.  I have been unsuccessfully been trying to find a picture of Thurman Yard which I have been told was situated on Orchard Street, which I have seen on a map just off Finkhill Street (which is now Maid Marian Way) situated in the Narrow Marsh area of Nottingham City Centre.  My Great Grandparents Arthur Chambers and Rebecca Ann Barton Lived at No 2 in mid to late 18th century.  I would really appreciate NOTTSNOSTALGIA members help in finding any information of any kind.

I thank you guys in anticipation and look forward you very soon

Kindest Regards

James

• Upvote 1

Think James means late 1800s

Some of this follows on from a previous thread from last year 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James,

Just browsing when I came across your message re Thurmans Yard. In my family tree research I find that my Grandmother Ethel May Barnett was born 1885 and at that time lived with her parents (Walter Samuel Barnett and Ellen nee Gadd Kerry) at 4 Thurmans Yard. Neighbours?

Thurmans Yard was off Thurman Street, Alfreton Road. Passing through to Birkin Ave. Don't know if those streets still exist. I left Nottm many many years ago  

Regards David Barnett 

• 1 year later...

From previous comments the O.P. was looking for Thurman's Yard off Orchard Street in which an Arthur Chambers lived . 

From what I can see there are many refs to Orchard Street being off Greyfriars Gate but it doesn't show up on my maps .

Yes puzzling but as previously mentioned this was a report of the summons on an Arthur Chambers in 1891.....unless there were 2 Arthur Chambers and two different Thurman's Yards ?

R.S.P.C.A. PROSECUTIONS. Arthur Chambers, Thurman's-yard, Orchard-street, was summoned for ill using a pony and working it whilst it was in an unfit condition to be worked ...... 18th inst.
29 April 1891 - Nottingham Evening Post -
Called Thurman's Yard after a John Thurman (probably) .
This from 1842.

Tuesday, the 29th ultimo, at the Registrar’s Office, Mr. George Simmond, to Eliza, eldest daughter of the late Mr. John Thurman, Finkhill-street , joiner .
02 December 1842 - Nottingham Review

• Like 1

As usual the experts come up with the goods.

I was born at the maternity hospital on Derby Road, but my parents lived at 33 Thurman Street, now long gone. That was essentially my first home and oddly enough I have some memories of it, despite being a toddler. 

2 hours ago, mercurydancer said:

...but my parents lived at 33 Thurman Street, now long gone. That was essentially my first home and oddly enough I have some memories of it, despite being a toddler. 

And just to confuse matters further (if anyone is taking notes), Thurman Street was at the top end of Alfreton Road near Canning Circus. Nowhere near any of the other Thurmans mentioned so far.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

And just to confuse matters further (if anyone is taking notes), Thurman Street was at the top end of Alfreton Road near Canning Circus. Nowhere near any of the other Thurmans mentioned so far.

Thurman Street was nowhere near Canning Circus, it was close to Alfreton Road, but near the Gregory Boulevard end. The other end of Thurman Street was IIRC onto Birkin Avenue

14 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

11 hours ago, mercurydancer said:

Thurman Street was nowhere near Canning Circus, it was close to Alfreton Road, but near the Gregory Boulevard end. The other end of Thurman Street was IIRC onto Birkin Avenue

I have no idea where I got that from !!!!  My brain was frazzled from reading various other posts during the day. ;)

• Like 1
23 hours ago, james_phillipson said:

.... it would be even better to get a photograph.  Thank you for all your help. 

This might be the best you'll get. The light-coloured building on the right-centre is still there. As is the building on the corner centre-left.

mnDRHSn.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Not had a Nottingham post for a while :sorry: Parr's Yard, off Page Street roughly where the bottom of Maid Marion Way is now, taken less than 100 years ago, is there some posts & maps missing from this thread it don’t make any sense :crazy:

EyMtDA8XIAAYa7t?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 2