Covering All Pockets.

When i return home i often wander about my old haunts..went in the Peacock on Mansfield Rd...who was in the best side? Mick Shaw my old RCTS mate...he was on wine...me the tap.

Mentioned to the young barmaid about the pistol range in the cellar..she thought i was scuttered!

Living right in amongst the city..you did feel safe and it shaped me as a person.

Listening to tales from old folk and just soaking up true working classness.

• Like 2
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An image that takes me back to a Nottm I was comfortable with...safe,even when rambling off as a nipper. Life was uncomplicated- a Wagon Wheel sweet would have propped up a Foden, plastic sandals

Always thought of this as 'our' Piccadilly Circus...especially when the neons of Players Please on Watmoughs shop front..in addition to the Peach Tree sign also glowing at night.Something comforting a

This does it for me, when cars were allowed in the tram track.Nice to see a bus crossing in front of the Council House. Were Farmers still going? I see Nat West is shut...must be after 3. Zodiacs

4 hours ago, IAN123. said:

.Herself doesn't do the bar either Colin...our Lizzie is up and at 'em though!

That’s cos I like to pay my way Ian !  

As for drinking out of a pint glass .....  No No No, never have and never will, just not ladylike ;)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, denshaw said:

I heard a phrase, Blue and Green should never be seen, except on a Queen.

This one was used when I was young  Blue and Green should never be seen without a colour in between, lime green/shocking pink endless choice.

Most men seem to wear brown/tan shoes these days, even with a blue suit.  In my humble opinion that is a fashion faux-pas but standards have dropped over the years, anything goes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 3/21/2018 at 12:48 AM, IAN123. said:

This photo covers all subjects we often post about.  That 60 bus has an odd front,yellow mk .1 Capri,Cavendish Woodhouse, Pearsons Store,1977 Jubilee,road lamps,Daf cars, boy racer sun visor...not forgetting The Kong Nam!16043893948_d1c63c5550_b.jpg

16043893948_d1c63c5550_b.jpg

• Like 1
18 hours ago, katyjay said:

'Blue against green, should never be seen, except on fools' . Nowadays, anything goes, and very often does,

11 hours ago, Gem said:

This one was used when I was young  Blue and Green should never be seen without a colour in between

The first saying I remember well and would never mix those colours because of it. BUT. I like the idea best that Gem recalled. I have a plain light weight round necked  emerald green jumper, and an azure blue silk scarf with pink roses, flashes of cream and green leaves that compliment the jumper. As I have got older, things like this don't bother me at all and I wouldn't be a slave to someone elses colour matches anymore. I wore these colours for my birthday yesterday and thought they looked lovely together. :)

• Like 3

A bloke in Spoons yesterday came awfully close to getting a pint of Guinness poured over his head & a slapped face when he commented on Mrs Cs lemon coloured jumper. He commented that she looked like a ripe banana, big mistake. Mrs C always takes pride in her appearance, he doesn't realise how lucky he is !

• Like 2

1525133387313_Toll-_House-_Hills-new-_10Another all encompasses job this one. This was the gauntlet we had to run on our trek to school of a morning, sights and sites like this were everyday. The Guy wagons belonging to the Co- Op had to struggle to park and enter their bays...just to the left of the Southwell road marking.

The Rose &Thistle did well out of Paddy when they knocked off at teatime.No such thing as a builders breakfast then...enamel mash cans,sarnies in a Wonderloaf wrapper and a cast gas ring via a gas bottle!

Canteen /drying room below and gaffer in top cabin.Bottom right and top left shows this practice. So the Hotel ,cafe,Co- Ops,Chinese etc..all gone as is the Nearly New shop and Chapel Bar Garage.

Boots City Gate,Strathdon Hotel,Toll Bar and Shelling Bar being constructed here.Kiddies Korner..was that Vicki for a short time?

Is holding on.Mia House can be seen..above Clements Pianos...the Manager forever tutting at his dusty windows! The Marine/Diving Centre is on the end row.Pity my St.Marys memories aren't as fondly recalled.

• Like 1

My Granny worked at Talbot House as a secretary at Great Universal Stores after she was widowed in 1954, she would have been 56 when she started, retiring at 70.  A necessity as my Grandad left nothing, she was living in a rented house and couldn’t afford the rent.  Then when my parents were struggling with growing kids and a mortgage my Mum started work there too, think that would have been about 1962, so I became a latch-key kid when I was about 12.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It was a rarity in those days Lizzie, but thousands like it today. I was extremely lucky, as tea was nearly always ready, then dreaded homework.

The ladies from Phonotas used to arrive every couple of weeks to clean the handsets. They had a uniform with a belted mac and soft brimmed hat, and whilst cleaning the phone they placed a small heavy metal bar across the receiver rest.

• Like 3

Nice one Commo...apparently the job paid a little more than National Assistance.

My parents had split and times were...

testing..don't want to see a ham hock again or split peas and pearl barley!

• Like 1

Back in the 60s at Marsdens we had a large range of 'Pulses' and Cereals,,Haricot Beans,,split peas,,lentils,,kidney beans,,chic Peas,,.......all popular then,..................came in 8oz clear bags..........and if you had a Ham Hock you were Posh at 2/6 each.....but us poorer people made do with a Bacon Hock at a 1/-,..........lol.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

36602402956_7e3ba6ec0d_b.jpgThis does it for me, when cars were allowed in the tram track.Nice to see a bus crossing in front of the Council House. Were Farmers still going? I see Nat West is shut...must be after 3.

Zodiacs had the vinyl roofs and star type hub caps?.

Land Crab Austin..and those fold away rain bonnets. Transoms and putlogs seem well fitted..1972.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

7ae8507fa61f96295fdb37fef421c506--bus-stThis particular photograph captures all what was great about Nottm and the wealth from it's industry etc...the ingenious railway that threaded it's way through the city, overcoming hurdles that were immense.Weekday Cross, Cliff Rd, Widdowson & Sons, Broad Marsh,buses and coaches, Taylor Street, steam,smoke and just a nice familiar feel.

• Like 5