Covering All Pockets.

The caption below does all these things.

Things you don't see...

The 1970's...

Companies Gone...

Where did you Work...

And girl power..the anniversary of Votes for Women ( some.)

Also today- Happy Mothers Day.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An image that takes me back to a Nottm I was comfortable with...safe,even when rambling off as a nipper. Life was uncomplicated- a Wagon Wheel sweet would have propped up a Foden, plastic sandals

Always thought of this as 'our' Piccadilly Circus...especially when the neons of Players Please on Watmoughs shop front..in addition to the Peach Tree sign also glowing at night.Something comforting a

This does it for me, when cars were allowed in the tram track.Nice to see a bus crossing in front of the Council House. Were Farmers still going? I see Nat West is shut...must be after 3. Zodiacs

Nottingham was messing about with this area for 30 years.

The garage next to the co-op, hotels and pubs demolished , along with cafes and restaurants.

City Gate was built and The Strathdon Hotel and Toll Bar.

Underpasses were built and banks.

Now its an Hotel a new cop shop

(hardly open).

Also pedesrian crossing has altered umpteen times.

Colin i know they were deep..was a shooting range in there?.was never down there..but apparently the ale was always the right temperature53638.1.640.640.FFFFFF.jpgThis stood on Peacheys St.before Sandfield House.You can just see Amplitones Shop.

Correct Ian a full bore pistol range originally used by NADVAS, arranged by old man Mott the chairman. He was senior partner at Clayton Mott & Sons just down the road on Milton Street.

Bit of a lad for a solicitor according to his son Mike, once got told off for shooting his pistol in the offices using legal tombs as a back stop.

Another story has him filling bags of black powder for the cannons used at the Belvoir Castle display whilst cuffing on a fag......:crazy:

Midland Bank still there. Now HSBC of course. Car park now a taxi rank. In fact, still very much the same.

7333547ac9c55370ecf07d0a582b1855.jpgAn image that takes me back to a Nottm I was comfortable with...safe,even when rambling off as a nipper.

Life was uncomplicated- a Wagon Wheel sweet would have propped up a Foden, plastic sandals clacked the slabs,you took a swipe for cheek ..without calling Child line.

City streets were all 'sun and shade',and the charring of soot on buildings made me think I was in an old film; no one ate whilst walking... rarely saw a lady pulling on a Senior Service..and Styrofoam cups were only at the Tea Shed on the Arboretum.Old men in macs went nubbing- stooping to pick up dog ends - rarely you saw the exploits of the night before...the pigeons had it away after dawn anyroad.

Postmen whistled as window cleaners cracked their chamois.

The whine of a commer or an AEC Regent made for a comforting soundtrack of my city.

Fruit sellers, mat beaters and bobbies all got a salute, folk rushing with paper C&A bags... the horn of a bug unit told me where I was...window shopping and watching.

Impatient folks tapping their coins on the phone booth glass..much to the callers dismay, the sweet smells of warm bread,cakes and coffee-

or the waft of ale and fags from The Welbeck.

The toot of a horn and a bicycle bell.. not a Greggs, beggar or busker in sight.Strange what a photo can do.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1
On 16/04/2018 at 9:13 PM, IAN123. said:

6148830ffde5397866e1e26ade264964.jpgBright colour shot from 1966 of Long Eaton, nice Cambridge, Midland Bank gone?,red shippo foden dray. Barton bus,big prams and no Gregg's.

Great photo that brings back so many memories of early 60s,,and as Fly says ''hardly changed'' worked in Marsdens a bit further up in 1966,,still remember most of the staff......Sue,,Carol,,Dave Durrant,,Charlie Wadsley,,Sandra Domleo,,Dennis Eyles,,Nobby Green,,and the area manager Len Tinkler,,

Also i was working there when England won the World cup,,viewed it from the street in Alex Owens,,

Don't forget the little lad on his 3-wheeler bike, complete with boot. I was still working at Raleigh in 1966, and got one of these tricyles for a friend's little lad, at a discounted price. As a surprise for him, my dad did his name sign written on the boot. You mentioned Ian, about a lady pulling on a Senior Service. I remember you'd think a woman 'common' if you saw her smoking as she walked along. Also a no-no at that time, fashion-wise, was for a woman to wear long trousers and a knee length coat. You were also careful about putting 2 colours together on youself. There was a saying at that time, 'Blue against green, should never be seen, except on fools' . Nowadays, anything goes, and very often does, yikes! I sometimes think to myself when seeing totally mismatched clothing, did you dress in the dark?

• Like 4
59 minutes ago, katyjay said:

Don't forget the little lad on his 3-wheeler bike, complete with boot. I was still working at Raleigh in 1966, and got one of these tricyles for a friend's little lad, at a discounted price. As a surprise for him, my dad did his name sign written on the boot. You mentioned Ian, about a lady pulling on a Senior Service. I remember you'd think a woman 'common' if you saw her smoking as she walked along. Also a no-no at that time, fashion-wise, was for a woman to wear long trousers and a knee length coat. You were also careful about putting 2 colours together on youself. There was a saying at that time, 'Blue against green, should never be seen, except on fools' . Nowadays, anything goes, and very often does, yikes! I sometimes think to myself when seeing totally mismatched clothing, did you dress in the dark?

My mam would not dream of smoking on the street or any woman would not dream of walking in to a pub on her own, even today Mrs C refuses point blank to drink out of a pint pot, just would not do.

Standards dropping all the time.

• Like 4

Great posts..Kath...i have not heard that saying..brilliant!

Without grumbling...it is just evolvement i suppose.In my day it was black tights and white high heels.Herself doesn't do the bar either Colin...our Lizzie is up and at 'em though!

There are some here, men and women that will not go to a restaurant where alcohol is served in any form.  I am not that strict as I do not see alcohol condemned in the Bible.  Only getting drunk.

I have often wondered how the above folks justify shopping at the supermarket.  Liquor is sold there!

As always, soul freedom, moderation in all things.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, NewBasfordlad said:

My lady goes further CF not only will she not drink out of a pint pot, she won't go to the ............bar either......

In 'Spoons this lunchtime & Mrs C said, "you sit down CF & I'll get the drinks" ! It's all down to proper training Youth !!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, loppylugs said:

moderation in all things.

This was my grandad Louis's motto. Eat when you're hungry and drink when you're dry. All things in moderation.

I was quite pleased to see the name Louis in the news today, too!

• Like 1

Me too Jill.........my oldest and best friend was Louis.........been gone 5 years still miss him..............