Covering All Pockets.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An image that takes me back to a Nottm I was comfortable with...safe,even when rambling off as a nipper. Life was uncomplicated- a Wagon Wheel sweet would have propped up a Foden, plastic sandals

Always thought of this as 'our' Piccadilly Circus...especially when the neons of Players Please on Watmoughs shop front..in addition to the Peach Tree sign also glowing at night.Something comforting a

This does it for me, when cars were allowed in the tram track.Nice to see a bus crossing in front of the Council House. Were Farmers still going? I see Nat West is shut...must be after 3. Zodiacs

Wish i had a Tardis and go back...back to the Cafe on Huntington St.

The red and white one opposite playland..with round stools in the window.

Just to see all the buses and hustle and bustle of a Bus / Coach Station.. as a kid it just 'floated on by'.

Just an innocent thought..

• Like 2
On 6/2/2018 at 9:27 PM, IAN123. said:

Wish i had a Tardis and go back...back to the Cafe on Huntington St.

The red and white one opposite playland..with round stools in the window.

Just to see all the buses and hustle and bustle of a Bus / Coach Station.. as a kid it just 'floated on by'.

Just an innocent thought..

There used to be a couple of Tardis (is the plural Tardi) on Angel Row just before Market Street. I remember being scared witless one Saturday evening in the early 1970s, when as usual we had spent the day at Nan's house on Bracebridge Drive, and had watched Dr Who before catching the 60 into town. This particular episode had the mannequins that came to life and zapped people by dropping their hands down and a gun/laser protruding from the wrist. I was terrified all the way into town as I knew that the Tardis (Tardi) would be there when we got off the bus, and there would be all of the mannequins also in the shop windows. Needless to say I survived, but it is amazing what sticks in your mind as a 6/7 year old. lo and behold when Dr Who was resurrected in 2005, what was the first enemy that Christopher Eccleston's incarnation had to face, bleddy shop mannequins. EEK!!!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I'd love to get my hands on one of those shop dummies - anyone got one for sale?

...............................................nope................not even going there.....................

• Like 1

When i worked for Debenhams they were throwing some away and i had one of their hands..had great fun using it for getting change in shops,,and waving goodbye but best of all shaking hands,,.......silly i know but i was only 40   lol.

• Like 4

Always thought of this as 'our' Piccadilly Circus...especially when the neons of Players Please on Watmoughs shop front..in addition to the Peach Tree sign also glowing at night.Something comforting about this photograph...The Evening Post building with yellow and blue Austins tearing about to deliver the Late Post.

Watmoughs for ice cream suckers, a quarter of Lungeelers or a scoop of MerryMaids to take in the stalls.The orange zebra crossing globes blinked on & off..and the central reservation..like many others in the city- vibrant with colour.The Turf Tavern was a popular pub when the Theatre closed...hustle and bustle ..day and night.Those green arrow signs directing to Lavatory or Station..some hadn't been removed ..Air Raid Shelter...we laughed as kids!

The Empress or Empire Cafe was on Foreman St...Mixed Grill if i behaved...pockets covered.

image030.jpg

• Like 5

I used to love the "Blockbusters" they served in The Empire Café.  Tea (in those rounded, white, cups/mugs) and a blockbuster: a tanner the lot.

• Like 1

During the 1980s, there was a pub in Darwen, Lancs., that sold a "Greedy Pig" grill. It consisted of all the usual meaty suspects witih an added fried egg, some tomatoes and fried bread.  It was expensive but each time you finished a meal and left a clean plate your name went down on a list.  Next time you ordered one you got a little extra and so  on until it got to a point where you couldn't possibly eat any more - then you went back to square one.  A great gimmick for selling food though!

• Like 1

Nice memory Compo.

Some place in Ambergate some years ago had this steak gimmick also.

Out with some friends i ordered the 64oz steak with two fried eggs and a bottle of dry red.

I finished it..and only paid for the wine..wasn't able to move much after though.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

bridgford-bus-pic-2.pngXTO 245. But it's not just the buses...even the colour of this still makes me feel like it was a great time.

The Cresta, Zephyr and Humber ...all from a time when i knew a motor purely by the sound of it's engine.

Those white saddlebags..some had reflectors near the buckles- a trip over Trent Bridge meant you were going somewhere..Gem, Melton, even Wilford Hill.This side of the river the lamp posts were white & green..and the asphalt was just a bit posher!

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Two photographs here, connected by two names.

Firstly it was recalling bottles of Indian Brandee that were in the house as a kid..and those  small cardboard drums that contained pills with a ball of cotton wool on top.68551.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgFitzhugh & Carr- this picture takes me right back. The shop on the corner of Shepperson Street( to Wollaton St.) was painted a lovely Sheffield green..sold cakes and bread..recall Harvo bread..a bit like Soreen, but nicer.This locale was between The Albert Hotel and Baker & Plumb on Derby Rd.dated 1964. Govt Surplus Store  sold every students fave..a great heavy Trench Coat..why our kid bought 58 webbing- i'll never know!52708.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgAnother branch of Fitzhugh & Carr on Long Row East..dated 1944 here.The Chemists go back to the 1860's...this one next to the archway for Greyhound St.

Oriel Chambers housed many firms in it's day..not lasting more than a few years. Stanley Dennis?..was up around these parts in my go.

I frequently mounted staircases such as these premises had...for a nose. An occupant above what is now The CO -OP Travel Store..informed me the statue was removed during  the war ..in fear of air raids.Westminster Buildings opposite Pearsons on Upper Parliament Street was of similar interior design..bakelite switches etc.

Newscastle Chambers..down near the Drivers Caff..was a time warp.

Sodens the Furriers i'm not familiar with..popular though in it's day..like the Canadian Co. on Wheeler Gate.

• Like 1

Derby Rd.1948..just past Sharps:

( photo:1) was this shop...68494.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgGentleman and Boys outfitters..which bordered onto another long gone short thoroughfare that was Vernon Street.52505.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgBy way of association with Fitzhugh & Carrs Chemist..a second Dixon & Parker stood on Long Row..next to an earlier incarnation of Sodens..Jones..on the other side being Skinner & Rook. This is 1919.69681.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgD&P seen here at a small premises on Arkwright St.

Later a branch on Friar Lane was opened...i will always remember the shop manager wrapping my Becket uniform in brown paper..quite perfectly then string and tied..and he would snap the twine without aid of scissors!

• Like 2

62271.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpg1973 here..my memories in particular start '75ish. Took a Clifton Girl out to the flicks..Death Race 2000 if i recall..the warning bells were donging well before the 'left lion' meet..she was from Clifton and had 3 sticks of Juicy Fruit on the go.She was definitely 'wearing' Harmony..into the Odeon...after a feed of Hotdogs, Butterkist, Sherbet Limes and Kia Ora..never got so much as a peck...drenched in Charlie..i was pineing for the nearby 44.

I was talked ..after a tactical squeeze  into a Pizzaland pizza...bumfluff decreed i was eligable for the caraffe of sangria.

Two later ...and giving up..( i had ordered the 12" Anchovy.)

A date from hell alright..i wanted to see Jaws! Fast forward a tad...and things were on the up..studying on Saturdays in the new Library and completing my A's and O's..nipping to the Lite Bite next door for a jambon sausage roll.Over to the George & Dragon for a pint of heavy ...Here - a black and white Cortina, Austin Reed for clobber and Steads for chockers.Henry Barkers and Smart & Brown continue upwardly.High Plains Drifter is on at the ABC and the Cavendish Woodhouse Transit looks to have seen better days.Clapped eyes on my first big love at the ABC...pockets done!

• Like 3
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:11 AM, IAN123. said:

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:11 AM, IAN123. said:

in brown paper..quite perfectly then string and tied..and he would snap the twine without aid of scissors!

They used to do that wrapping parcels in the local CO-OP but how?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...