There will be a lot of sad people in Diddyland tonight after the death of Sir Ken Dodd aged 90.

His tickling stick is now forever still.

He had his first professional performance at the Empire theatre in Nottingham in September 1954.

He died in Knotty Ash in Liverpool in 1927 and died there yesterday, I wonder how many of us will get to do die in the same place  that we were born? I certainly won't

Remember being dragged to the Heart of the Midlands club to see him by my now wife and her sister, I definitely did not want to go, but I don't think I've ever laughed so much ! not a bit like the TV Ken Dodd, yes still the silly tickle sticks and other bits,  but the blue humour had to be heard to be believed.

What a talented performer, RIP Ken Dodd.

I once saw a documentary about Ken Dodd which showed that behind the comic facade there was a psychologist who could probably have written a thesis on what makes people laugh. A highly intelligent chap and a hard worker!

• Like 1

I saw him once at one of his shows, he was a bit late so didn't bother with a half time break and carried on telling jokes (never repeating any) for the next four hours,absolutely brilliant, a very sad loss,RIP Ken

Rog

The ultimate funny man. RIP Ken.

"I've done some brave things in my time. I played Nottingham Labour Club. I was the one who shouted 'Three cheers for Mrs Thatcher'. And it was during the bingo."

"By jove, I needed that..."

RiP  Loved his occasional Radio show on a Sunday afternoon after the Billy Cotton Band Show.

It was on Doddy's Sunday afternoon radio show that I heard my first "naughty" thing on the wireless. Doddy was "interviewing" a "Russian" spy.

"What's your name"

"Zuckov"

"Oh, if you feel like that about it"

Immediate turning off of the wireless by my dad.

• Like 1

My first 'naughty' joke I remember hearing was the one Max Wall told on the radio and it got him banned!

I think the Max Miller ban was because had had a short quiz in his programme where a punter was asked to tap out notes on a toy xylophone and Miller would identify the piece. Well, the contestant tapped the required notes and Miller identified them as being the tune for the then Danish Blue Cheese advert.

In those days the BBC was extremely strict about any hint of advertising so Lord Reith (or whoever was in charge at the time) banned Max Miller for a number of years.

On 15/03/2018 at 7:26 AM, jonab said:

I think the Max Miller ban was because had had a short quiz in his programme where a punter was asked to tap out notes on a toy xylophone and Miller would identify the piece. Well, the contestant tapped the required notes and Miller identified them as being the tune for the then Danish Blue Cheese advert.

In those days the BBC was extremely strict about any hint of advertising so Lord Reith (or whoever was in charge at the time) banned Max Miller for a number of years.

My apologies - wrong comedian here. I should have stated Charlie Chester. They were very similar in style (and innuendo).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...