Like Cliff Ton I (now and again) dig up some old photo of the internet and then go and take a modern one of the same scene. My only criteria is that there should be some recognisable feature common to both.

Whilst the missus was going round town the other day I went down to Cliff Road, the old notorious Red Lion Street which used to be the heart of Narrow Marsh. These are the results ..

Narrow_Marsh_1.jpg

P1030062.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Nice comparison AG..those parking spaces are well dodgy.the bloke comes round with a tape measure..one inch out of line...clamp!

PS..did you see the bernard the bog thread?

Can’t say I did!

Love these before & after photo's.

Malin Hill, Nottingham in 1913

Malin_Hill_1913.jpg

And now ..

Malin_Hill_c2015_2.jpg

• Like 8

Short Stairs. Anybody bored yet?

Short_Stairs.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Nice one AG...i mentioned that boozer on a pub thread recently. Having worked in this area it was nice & quiet for a lunch...especially the little rest area on Barker Gate.

• Like 1

Not bored, keep em coming lads !

• Like 2

Too right Catfan...Affergorrits pics reminded me of Charlie Peace...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Affergorrits pics reminded me of Charlie Peace...

The murderer? He had a face not easily forgotten!

Yes, Ian. I didn’t realise that the Town Arms was still there as recently as the 80’s. Then I realised that the 80’s are 30 years ago!!

affergorritt I know exactly what you mean, talking with a mate last week we were talking about a pal whose funeral we "recently" attended, and we were trying to remember what date he passed away. We were both shocked to find out that it was just over 5 years. Where did the years go , don't they go fast. My grandson who I use to hold in one hand now towers above me and has been known to pick me up and carry me, begging him to stop I get well you used to carry me so its only right I return the favour.

• Like 3

Its not only the years that roll away quickly its the weeks too.  No sooner is one week finished and the following one is starting.

Lovely photos too I love seeing before and after photos.

• Like 2

I really appreciate the before and after shots. Invariably the before views are infinitely better than the afters.

• Like 1

Thanks for your interest, everyone!

• Like 4

I seem to be drawn to the Narrow Marsh area at the moment! These are comparisons of Long Stairs. The top photos show Long Stairs in the 1920s and 1930s when they became "isolated" by the demolition of Narrow Marsh.

They are still there but inaccessible, running from the top of Malin Hill/Commerce Square down to Pemberton Street where they appear to finish in someone's back garden!

One day I'll pluck up the courage to knock on their door and get a photo from the bottom!

Long_Stairs_Comparison.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Wakefields was a great store..for surplus gear also. Used to buy old Buckta hockey shirts. And walked the vic tunnel with khaki bike lamps fitted with red bulbs! 

H&S...

On 25/03/2018 at 10:10 PM, AfferGorritt said:

I seem to be drawn to the Narrow Marsh area at the moment! These are comparisons of Long Stairs. The top photos show Long Stairs in the 1920s and 1930s when they became "isolated" by the demolition of Narrow Marsh.

They are still there but inaccessible, running from the top of Malin Hill/Commerce Square down to Pemberton Street where they appear to finish in someone's back garden!   One day I'll pluck up the courage to knock on their door and get a photo from the bottom!

Don't bother yersen knocking on the door. Just made a phone call to Mrs Cs daughter who lives nearby & she will be emailing me some pictures tomorrow ! Lets hope they are good one's. !

• Like 3

Just received a few pictures as promised from Mrs Cs daughter, not the best but acceptable.

DSCN0049.jpg

DSCN0050.jpg

DSCN0051.jpg

DSCN0052.jpg

• Like 4

Great photos! No wonder they're railed off! Fascinating how they built those brick buttresses into and around the sandstone.

• Like 2