Like Cliff Ton I (now and again) dig up some old photo of the internet and then go and take a modern one of the same scene. My only criteria is that there should be some recognisable feature common to both.

Whilst the missus was going round town the other day I went down to Cliff Road, the old notorious Red Lion Street which used to be the heart of Narrow Marsh. These are the results ..

Narrow_Marsh_1.jpg

P1030062.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

affergorritt I know exactly what you mean, talking with a mate last week we were talking about a pal whose funeral we "recently" attended, and we were trying to remember what date he passed away. We were both shocked to find out that it was just over 5 years. Where did the years go , don't they go fast. My grandson who I use to hold in one hand now towers above me and has been known to pick me up and carry me, begging him to stop I get well you used to carry me so its only right I return the favour.

• Like 3

Its not only the years that roll away quickly its the weeks too.  No sooner is one week finished and the following one is starting.

Lovely photos too I love seeing before and after photos.

• Like 2

I seem to be drawn to the Narrow Marsh area at the moment! These are comparisons of Long Stairs. The top photos show Long Stairs in the 1920s and 1930s when they became "isolated" by the demolition of Narrow Marsh.

They are still there but inaccessible, running from the top of Malin Hill/Commerce Square down to Pemberton Street where they appear to finish in someone's back garden!

One day I'll pluck up the courage to knock on their door and get a photo from the bottom!

Long_Stairs_Comparison.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2
On 25/03/2018 at 10:10 PM, AfferGorritt said:

I seem to be drawn to the Narrow Marsh area at the moment! These are comparisons of Long Stairs. The top photos show Long Stairs in the 1920s and 1930s when they became "isolated" by the demolition of Narrow Marsh.

They are still there but inaccessible, running from the top of Malin Hill/Commerce Square down to Pemberton Street where they appear to finish in someone's back garden!   One day I'll pluck up the courage to knock on their door and get a photo from the bottom!

Don't bother yersen knocking on the door. Just made a phone call to Mrs Cs daughter who lives nearby & she will be emailing me some pictures tomorrow ! Lets hope they are good one's. !

• Like 3

Not quite the same Ian. I was a 15 year old wet behind the ears appro, EMGAS in 1962 was like stepping back into Victorian times. There was even a clause in the indentures stating you 'you must get the permission from management to court a young lady. It was only enforced once as I remember, it was used to get rid of a bad guy.  My very first day set the stall out, I arrived at 7-45 and knowing nothing I joined a queue at a foreman's window, when I got to see him at just after 8-00 the first question was "have you clocked in?" It was gone 8-05 by the time we got to the clock, it cost me 15 minutes of pay.....

Second week with my first fitter (Roy) I was chatting to a house holder when I heard a cough. I turned round to see Roy kneeling with his back to me and his hand stretched out waiting for me to hand him the correct tool for the job. No rollicking but the next day the tool bag I carried over my shoulder went from just over 30lb to just over 50lb. Lesson learnt I never allowed myself to be distracted again.

The ultimate punishment apart from having things thrown at you and a belt round the ear was that no fitter would take you out on the district, that being the case you could no longer carry on with your apprenticeship.

The good side was that during your six years you went though every dept from Basford works, showrooms on Parliament Street outward you learnt everything to do with the industry. You had minor exams every year with your intermediate C&G at 18 and your finals at 21, then and only then would you be called a fitter.

• Like 6
On 19/03/2018 at 5:47 AM, IAN123. said:

Too right Catfan...Affergorrits pics reminded me of Charlie Peace...

my cousin wrote the stage play and had two publications about charlie Peace.

Regards,

Will2017

• Like 2

Reading the latest posts it seems that a few fold are looking out of their windows at workmen resurfacing roads. Bet it doesn't look like this!

Obviously Lower Parliament Street. Spent lots of time there dreading the coming of the Number 45 that would take me to school at Mundella!

Lower_Parliament_St._Comparison.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1