Quite a modern then and now, as "then" was only a few weeks ago...

Long Stairs before ..

Long_Stairs_4_2018.jpg

Long_Stairs_3_2018.jpg

And after ..

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

Went down today to help them dab some stump killer on the buddleia roots. They've done a fantastic job, and have permission from the council to keep the steps clear in future.

Hope Postimage is working again. Here goes ...!

• Like 7

Flipping heck Ian, have you found something they have not ruined. Oh I forgot it belongs to the Park Estate and the city council has bugger all to do with it.

The old gas lamps were still working 2 years ago don't know whether they still are.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 2:06 AM, IAN123. said:

Gordon boys memorial home.13_New-_Gordon-_Boys-_Memorial-_Home-1.jGordon House today.

My great uncle, Thomas William Sparrow ended up in the Gordon Boys' Home in 1893, after the deaths of his mother and stepmother. His father, my great grandfather, emigrated to Canada after leaving his eldest son in the Gordon Boys' Home and his youngest, my grandad, in the Silverwood House orphanage in Beeston.

The records of the Gordon Boys' Home are held by Nottinghamshire Archives but not available to public view. The archivist kindly extracted information for me. Thomas was trained as a baker, living for a while in Somercotes. He died on 30 November 1917, fighting in The Great War, 40 years to the day before I was born!

Now here's a suggestion that no one will ever have thought of, why not turn the Guildhall into flats and with it being so close to the Trent Building it could be rented out to students for, say, a modest £1500 per month as I'm sure that Nottingham needs to attract a few more students to the City?

Here in Huddersfield every empty mill, factory, terraced house, shop and garden shed has been developed into student accommodation and I am staggered at the amount of rent that these poor penniless students have to pay (somewhat sarcastic smiley inserted here)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Post Office building, image pinched from Ian’s Random Photos thread. 

I went on a college tour of the Sorting Office there when the Post Office were just bringing in post codes. 

Second photo is as it is now, Marco Island apartments, developed by a chap I know, he was a pupil at Gedling School so Carni, Sue48, BW and David W may have known him.  

They seem to be popular, rarely an apartment available (but I wouldn’t want to live there)

7_BBF3_FF6-5_CFE-447_D-_B10_A-8_D84_FC8_1_D1986_D9-_C44_D-4_A92-82_ED-_E9_A03_DB

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Nice memory Mess..funny ..the small things make a story interesting...when i began using the Bulwell bus..1972..i think Steeples had gone...were they down from the Langham?

That stretch of road was buzzing then...in the 60's it must have been a hive of  shops.

Besides the Fencing tournaments at St.Pauls...we used to go to Bits& Bobs Emporiam.

Good old Bits & Bobs Emporium on Gregory Boulevard lol

In 1964/65 when I was still at school and therefore always skint my bandmate and I took a suitcase of Meccano there to try and raise some cash for an electric guitar. The proprietor who wore a brown overall like Arkwright in Open All Hours offered us thirty bob which was a complete p**s take. Always avoided his shop after that. I remember similar shops on Mansfield Rd and Arkwright St.

BTW Gregory Boulevard Post Office which was next door to B&B Emporium was run by Mr & Mrs Clark. I went to Forest Fields Grammar with their youngest son Nick who took over the business in the 80s. Nick had an older brother Chris who maybe got involved too.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, catfan said:

Steeples menswear shop I remember well. I worked for a shopfitters in 1970 & we re-fitted that shop with new frontage & door etc. Steeples would have definitely been around early to mis '70s at least.

Short distances between bus stops was a throw back to the trolley bus era. Many more bus stops on trolley bus routes due to the quick acceleration of those buses.

The old 36 / 41 trolley bus route on Nottm Road / Sherwood Rise was the last trolley bus route, ending in '66 those trolley bus stops are still in use today by bus services 68 & 69 .

On the subject of Trolley Buses. IIRC the No 42 (Bulwell Mrkt into town) was a rare beast indeed. I only saw one about twice. I guess the 43 and 44 did for most. I think I used to get off the 44 next to the big Co-op when I was heading for town. My best friend lived in New Basford so we also rode the 36 and 41. Used the 45 a few times too when we had cross country at Wollaton Park. I well remember the cream plastic binding on the boarding rail and the steering wheel.

My school mate (cocky little sh1t) was always unscrewing the metal match striking plates off the back of the upstairs seats. I was with him when he got caught by the conductor who gave him a well deserved bo**ocking.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Mess said:

BTW Gregory Boulevard Post Office which was next door to B&B Emporium was run by Mr & Mrs Clark. I went to Forest Fields Grammar with their youngest son Nick who took over the business in the 80s. Nick had an older brother Chris who maybe got involved too.

I remember Mr Clark at the post office. I didn't like him...I think it was the bald head...and refused to enter the post office. This was before I started school at 4 years old. Mr Clark often came out to say hello to me but had to scuttle in again when I started screaming!

Nick was at Berridge with my older sister.