2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Apparently the Mansfield branch of Anne Summers is one of the most popular in the country. What do they do on cold winter nights in Mansfield?

They think about what they're going to buy from Poundland, Surrey!

Must be more pound shops in Mansfield than anywhere else on the planet. 

I love the place..went to College there..

Syd Booths records in the Four Seasons. The Wakefields had an Army and Navy surplus room upstairs..fantastic jackets...way before Sting adorned them!

All the food outlets have big cleanliness posters on the door.

And posters everywhere of trouble causers /with a freephone number to ring the Police to remove said undesirables from the town.

Stephen Ford would have been proud of me- used to sneak in the bus sheds most lunchtimes on Chesterfield Rd.South.

• Like 1
On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:46 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

It was a lovely place when I was little. Nice shops and market. Summat went wrong somewhere!

Having been born and brought up in the Mansfield area I agree that summat went wrong. From a thriving town with employment opportunities for those that wanted them to a shadow of its former self.

The closure of the hosiery industry and off shoreing of clothing and footwear manufacturing, the closure of the collieries in the area and the loss of the direct jobs in the mines and those in the supply chains of both sectors, not to say the loss of skills involved led to damage of the social fabric of towns and villages.

Unfortunately the economists and bean counters that did the cost benefit analysis for these decisions did not take into account the social cost of their decisions that lead to the rapid decline of towns such as Mansfield of which many have yet to fully recover. If they had been factored in we may have had a different outcome.

As I have said before an economy is not a group of people selling coffees to each other or services that do not add value, just cost.

Unfortunately we are heading down the same track here in Australia having recently lost our auto manufacturing industry To be a viable economy a country needs to make things as this brings the skills that any country must have.

• Like 4

Towns and areas never did recover from the closure of those industries Oz.

Whilst yuppies thrived down south...Tebbett encouraged bike riding. Enterprise Allowance Schemes did'nt cut the mustard and places like Kirkby, Sutton,Mansfield became mental male graveyards..blokes in the bookies or tending allotments 'til the giro dropped.

I worked for Monks,Metal Box, Mandora .

The bus station is nice though.

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:15 AM, philmayfield said:

Apparently the Mansfield branch of Anne Summers is one of the most popular in the country. What do they do on cold winter nights in Mansfield?

Ian, I only copied Phil's post. Don't really know as I have never been in their stores.

• Like 1