Mealtimes when you was a kid

When I was a kid we never had matching dinner plates,we always got dinner served up on 'our ' plate,we would complain if we got the wrong plate( I can still remember mine,it had purplish flowers round the edge) The cups didn't match either.Did people not bother then unless they were posh?

• Like 1

I don't remember any matching plates or cups.  I think I was just happy enough to get me chips and beans, I'd have eaten them out of newspaper like fish and chips.  So I guess we weren't posh. :rolleyes:

We have for everyday use Portmeirion Botanic Garden crockery. It’s quite expensive normally but we get it from the factory shop at Stoke on Trent. The dinner plates from there are so cheap we just chuck them away after a meal. It saves washing up. :biggrin:

Can't remember what our crockery was like as a kid, whether it matched or not, but do know we had a 6 setting china tea set that matched. I have the remnants of it  in my cupboard now. 

I think ours were mostly white, but about 1955, we had a tea set from Sneinton Market that had  green and orange foliage around the edges. We always had a Shelley China tea service which only came out of the China cabinet on auspicious occasions. 

I thought it was very expensive, but I only got £68 at auction for it after my mother died.

On items such as that, we'd start with a matching set of something, but it wouldn't last too long. So we'd end up with a matching-set-minus-one.

For example, my parents would've bought a matching set of four cups, saucers and plates. Over time, one of each might get broken, so we'd end up with three matching plates and an odd one, and likewise with the other items. You could see how it all started neatly, but gradually the effect became increasingly random.

• Like 1

In our house being poor with not a lot of crockery someone had to use the old woman's false teeth mug, trouble was you could always taste the Chloros Bleach she cleaned her teeth in overnight !

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I dont know if my  I remember right but I vaguely recall some plates and cups and saucers our mam collected from Brooke Bond tea .white with a green ring around the edge 

My grandmother died when I was 6 months old and grandfather came to live with us. All grandmother's crockery came with him! I still have some of it. There was also great grandmother's breakfast set. This is beautiful. Back in about 1905 great grandmother saved up and bought half a breakfast set from the pot man who went around Bradford. Six cups, saucers, plates egg cups, one bread and butter plate, milk jug, sugar basin and a dish for tea leaves. Great grandmother had a big family of children and grandchildren and she loved to have them around for tea on Sunday. She saved some more money and bought six more plates and saucers and seven cups in case one broke! I have the whole set. They are seconds as some do not have makers marks and there are a few flaws in glaze but they are beautiful. Mum did not use them very often. I use them occasionally and it is very nice to enjoy a bit of the family history! Great grandmother had a son who was killed in WW1. He would have used this china when he went for tea with his mum.

• Like 5