Recall getting the 342 most cold mornings. Sutton in Ashfield.247000009c45dc5dddbfddfd9db099ff--bus-st

• Like 1

This job centre got me a handy job at Metal Box...saved me going raspberry picking in Scotland !NCCW000530.jpg

• Like 1

Mansfield towards church st.1955.swan hotel/pub on the right.684c0ffa41e95c1afbd6cd54f03fb412.jpg

• Like 3

Kirkby in Ashfield Central Station closed in 1962, and the East Station connected to  Midland Railway was shut in 1964.

In addition the Bentinck Station was closed in 1963...this was on the former

Great Central Manchester to London line.so the hatchet fell for the train users in Kirkby...but Trent buses saw the folk had been left high & dry and improved services 

Not until the Robin Hood line did things improve.s-l300_1.jpg

Mansfield Shoe Co. as we know it-began on Dallas street in 1900.

Royce & Gascoine...the originators of the company saw a huge market in ladies shoes as well as boots.

By 1908 Mansfield had 4 factories and producing over a million pairs a year and distributed worldwide, markets changed and in 1935 became the founder of the Norvic Company.

Things improved decade by decade..providing hard but steady 

employment for Mansfield folk, and then became the Mansfield Shoe Group...with sites in Bristol,Doncaster and Ayrshire and sold 50.000 pairs a week.

The fortunes changed in the 90's and

and they struggled in a competitive market...thus closing in 2004 and creating job losses in a well regarded employment black spotScan00016.jpg.

11 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Mansfield Shoe Co. as we know it-began on Dallas street in 1900.

That beautiful building is now up-market apartments with new upper storeys and retail and offices on the lower floors.

As an apprentice I used to pass it every day on my way to and from work.

Dallas street is on the right of the view to the left of the view used to be Belvedere Street with the Belle Vue Hotel, a Shippo's pub on the corner. Demolished when the ring road was built.

Another manufacturing business gone.

Ian, you would be saddened to see what is left of the metal box buildings in Rock Valley

Image result for rock valley mansfield

• Like 1

Ian, This should add to the memories, Froggatts?  roundabout at Mansfield Market

Image result for roundabout mansfield market place

• Like 1

Sutton town centre in 1968.The co op on the right...Linneys opposite.sutton-in-ashfield-town-square-1968_s857

Oh yes Tom!..it was 3d or 6d for a long ride..there was a budgie/ canary man on the market i recall.

Ian - re the 1955 picture. That is how I remember Mansfield C 1948, when Dad worked a market stall on Saturdays. There was a statue - assume QV in the open market place and some old stables in a corner. One of the stables was used as the store room, a dark and 'forgotten' place where I used to rummage among the old stock of unsaleable toys. I remember those bus journeys up the Mansfield Ramper, seemed to take for ever.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IAN123. said:

This is Sutton in Ashfield..did Mansfield have a store?

Ian, Mansfield did not have a store during the 60's and 70's but it's original store was in Mansfield

See this article from the Chad, sadly it is now closed

https://www.chad.co.uk/news/final-song-is-played-as-sutton-store-closes-its-doors-1-8669317

17 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

There was a statue - assume QV in the open market place

PP the only "statue" that I can ever recall being in the main Mansfield Market Place is the gothic Bentinck Memorial erected in 1848/9.

Image result for Mansfield Market Place history

Photo by Dun.can

There was a Market Cross in what the locals call the "Little Market" on Westgate don't know if there is anything there now

following the desecration of another fine old town with the abominable Four Seasons development and the ring roadImage result for Mansfield Market Place history

Ah! that was it - the Memorial - we called it the fountain for some reason - maybe because of the drinking fountain? I would be about ten years old then and the memory is not so good :rolleyes: Our stall would be about second from right on the pic. Maybe the camera angle and wide lens, but the market place seemed smaller then?

Mansfield Town Centre,1949.

Ex Ebor bus parked near Farrands on a busy day.KAL-697.jpg

• Like 1

Was Ben behind Farrands counter ?

• Like 1

About 13 yrs later yes i was Mick........was there when it was converted to self service, remember being stood in the first aisle manning a broken biscuit stand ,gabbing to all the ladies who had probably never been in a self-service store before.........i was wearing a short white coat, white shirt and 'dickie bow''...........''good morning madam,broken biscuits 1/- a bag''.........ran out of em very quickly......had to get a little Hammer'' and break a few more........lol.

• Like 6

Moving to Sutton in Ashfield, Lady Chatterleys house Teversal Manor is nearby.f4be5e9330aad160a9155915bd35882c.jpgmanorhouse.jpg