Mansfield, Sutton or Kirkby.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always liked Mansfield.......the folk are different but not in a bad way,, worked there quite a bit Vernons,,(ex marsdens) Queen street,, Farrands Church street,,both in the 60s,,obviously did a

About 13 yrs later yes i was Mick........was there when it was converted to self service, remember being stood in the first aisle manning a broken biscuit stand ,gabbing to all the ladies who had prob

Talk about thread drift! Mansfield to Netherfield is about 17 miles but interesting comments nevertheless

Obvously the Farrrands is different to the Frank Farrands i worked for........might have been a relation,,because i believe they started in Sutton in Ashfield,,the one in Sutton i worked at was i think on Outram street..........

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, IAN123. said:

All Aboard..Mansfield Midland 1964.

Ian, if that photo was taken in 1964 it must have been shortly before the line was closed under the Beeching axe.

I used to catch my local bus near the station and it has not had a roof for many a year.

The Great Central station in Mansfield always fascinated me as a kid as you used to have to climb stairs to get up to the platforms as the track bed was on an embankment that took it over the bridge on Ratcliffe Gate the old A617 to Newark

Here is a very clever image by Neil Pledger a heritage photographer part of his excellent Footprints of Mansfield series where he superimposes old images over the modern day streetscapes

Here is a link to his website 

http://www.briefreport.co.uk/news/footprints-of-mansfield-2592851.html

Footprints of Mansfield
  • Like 1

Thanks for that Oz.

Two watering holes..in Sutton...when staying over at College mates.

The Railway was great..but sure that was Kirkby.suttoninashfield_staffoflife.jpgi drank in the modern version.suttoninashfield_rifleman.jpgThe Rifleman. Closed in the late 60's.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Two watering holes..in Sutton...when staying over at College mates.

The Railway was great..but sure that was Kirkby.

Yes Ian there was a Railway Hotel in Kirkby on Urban Road, Alas long gone, now an Aldi

Great memories in those pictures, I had my first Sunday lunchtime pint in the Staff after attending a St John's First Aid training course as an apprentice.

It was on the corner of Church St and West End, if I remember correctly the Rifleman was on Low Street

• Like 1

Wasn't the pub at Sutton Junction called The Railway, just over the level crossing on the road to Sutton?  Used to have a drink in there with Father in Law though switched allegiance to The Cardinal when that opened about 1966(?), but Sunday lunchtime was usually at The Rushley.

• Like 1

Commo,

The pub near the railway crossing on Newark Rd is called The Junction, it was previously called the Cardinal. However, there used to be a Railway Inn on High Pavement but I think it is a Chinese restaurant now.

Remember the Rushley well it was two pints and a pie or pasty during lunch time when as an apprentice I was on day release at West Notts Tech just up the road.

• Like 1

I finished there in 1972, we did one full day 9:00am to 9:00pm and then two nights 6:00 to 9:00pm for 4 years, a 6 year course compressed into 4 years.

I used to enjoy technical drawing, I was particularly good at developing shapes for sheet metal working and calculating stress, strain and redundancy is support structures, like many things, never used them since.

• Like 1

Oz, The Cardinal was, at the time about 1966, a newly built pub whereas the one just beyond the level crossing, a Mansfield house, was frequented by us before Cardinal was built. Before we were married, Mrs C lived at Sutton Junction so these were our locals, Cardinal originally being more "up market" not what it became later.

Mrs C went to Derby Road Tech for her secretarial course, leaving in 1963 and started work in Nottingham where we met, getting wed In 1968.

Ian,

In the 60's and 70's the Blue Bell on Mansfield Rd was my favourite pub in Sutton in Ashfield for the following reasons. It was then a Mansfield house, it was not far from work and it had a bar billiards table something you don't see in many pubs today.

Image result for the blue bell sutton in ashfield
  • Like 1

Think I've put my mind to rest on this, it was The Cart and Horse. From the photos of the place (as Oz informed it's now The Scruffy Dog) it's certainly changed from the local it was when we frequented it, then again haven't they all?

12 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Mansfield Minerals Maker

R'L' Jones's Sunecta Mixed Fruit was a favourite of mine as a kid

The Mandora plant was on Bellamy Road and was Mansfield Breweries soft drink brand. It was sold to A.G.Barr the makers of Tizer and Irn Bru in1998

2 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

watering hole for the impoverished student 

The Brown Cow was home to the Mansfield Folk Club for many years. Had a few beers and sung a few songs in there in my time.

• Like 1