Mansfield, Sutton or Kirkby.

13 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

The one pan man dinners

Don't think Frozen Pantry was there before we left for Oz but A.E Bird and Sons Fine Pork Butchers.

The best pork sausages and pork pies for miles around. A slice of gammon, fresh dug new potatoes and fresh picked peas, sublime.

Can't get a decent slice of gammon here now that all the local "British" shops have closed.

Who used to have a grilled pineapple ring with their gammon? I did.

• Like 1
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always liked Mansfield.......the folk are different but not in a bad way,, worked there quite a bit Vernons,,(ex marsdens) Queen street,, Farrands Church street,,both in the 60s,,obviously did a

About 13 yrs later yes i was Mick........was there when it was converted to self service, remember being stood in the first aisle manning a broken biscuit stand ,gabbing to all the ladies who had prob

Talk about thread drift! Mansfield to Netherfield is about 17 miles but interesting comments nevertheless

16 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

i am sure the pies at The Stags matches were theirs.

Can't remember ever having had a pork pie at the football it was usually a meat pie and a cup of hot Bovril.

I think the meat pies might have been Dormston?

Do you remember the "new" stand purchased second hand from Hurst Park racecourse coming to Field Mill.

If you remember the old rickety Bishop Street stand here is a view of the corner of it just before demolition and the streets and town behind.

Did you know that Field Mill is the oldest ground in the Football League, being used since 1861

As for this sponsor naming ballcocks  Mansfield play at Field Mill not One Call Stadium Forest play at the City Ground and County at Meadow Lane not what some plonker with a bagfull of money wants to call the grounds until someone else comes along with more money.Soccer - FA Cup - Third Round - Mansfield Town v Liverpool - One Call Stadium

• Like 1

Ian, that box was near Ratcher Hill Quarry roughly half way between Oak Tree Lane and the new Rainworth By-pass and close to the Ransom Hospital.

Can't quite work out what road is on the bridge above the line

• Like 1

Ian, That is Ratcher Hill Quarry that can be seen at the top of this photo

The Bridge you can see in the first photo is most likely the one over Oak Tree Lane

Mansfield Colliery was better known to locals as Crown Farm or "Crownie"

• Like 1

Great Picture Ian, Just starting the build of the "new" stand purchased from Hurst Park racecourse.

Don't forget Mike Stringfellow and Stags best ever full back Colin Toon and a special mention of Sandy Pate and Peter Morris

• Like 1

Oz..thanks for that..nice to see my old College.

Principal was Mr.Lamatrae.

Used to go to the nearby cafe for hot sausage rolls..or tea and those 

Pennywise biscuits.Ian_B035.jpgThink Peveril used to attend Mansfield Market, it had 2 great record stalls..much cheaper than Syd Booths up the road.Still have many Mkt albums.

• Like 1

Paul says he used to work in the bank on the corner of the market  around 1960

• Like 1
5 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Principal was Mr.Lamatrae.

Ian, Was that Pierre Lamatrae if so, he was head of Social Sciences at West Notts Technical College on Nottingham Rd after they closed Chesterfield Rd.

He taught me too, but I never did understand why as part of Mechanical Engineering we had to do Social Sciences?

• Like 1

Yes they seem to have butchered Mansfield too.Change i suppose - Mansfield when i lived there seemed fairly self supportive..shoe factories and bakeries, pop factories and pits..metal Box and Mansfield Brewery and do you recall a large slaughterhouse?

Unemployment was low ,the Town had indiviual shops for bread, meats, cheese and draperies...this to a large extent was wiped out in Nottm.

Belle Vue Hotel a Shippo's pub on the right and the Empire cinema at the end.

Taken when Mansfield had a heart before the council vandals despoiled it with the Four Seasons shopping centre and the Inner Ring Road.

Very similar to what happened in Nottingham. Just imagine what a tourist attraction Nottingham would have been if they had left all the old buildings and streets intact.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I was there Ian, standing in my usual spot at the end of the Bishop Street stand at the kop end (Quarry Lane End).

The first competitive football match anywhere in the country was played under lights at Field Mill in 1930 and the first permanent lights were put up at the ground in 1961. I used to play football in the mornings and go and see the Forest and the Stags on alternate weekends.

Sorry if I am wrong but the photo in your post does not seem right somehow as if I remember correctly the Stags played that game in their all blue strip with amber edging and that ground does not look much like Field Mill as there are no hills that close to the ground at Field Mill and the playing surface looks too good for that match as it was heavily sanded before the game.

Ballcocks to calling the grounds after sponsors it is not One Call Stadium it is Field Mill and always will be

• Like 1

Never heard that one before!

It was a lovely time in my childhood going up to Mansfield on the Trent bus.It was a 'sensitive' area as ..on my Dads side..they had remarried due to losses in the war.

I still am confused between Uptons and Tindalls.I poked me nose in and just got used to visiting there.

Also with a family friend Grahame..who took me to matches.

Some nights...i was back late and got no supper.When i returned as a student..i felt great..nobody knew me..and i revisited all the pubs i was taken into...but minus lemonade + crisps this time.

• 3 weeks later...

While we are talking sweeties..there was a shop on Wood st.that sold homemade cinder toffee..my Tutor Bob Gallon always pinched the largest

chunk..bet EU wouldn't allow homemade in a shop...big bag for 15p!

Never used to get to those forin' parts of town much but to remind me where it was I just had a look at google maps and found this opposite Thoresby Street, they look as though they could have been shops years ago, they are about half way down Wood Street

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@53.1467343,-1.2035677,3a,75y,161.38h,86.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNLvJEnOOk-ZzSdU_0m4qvQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There is another one further towards Rosemary Street that might fit the bill also.

• Like 1

Has anyone been to the Halifax bomber memorial at Farnsfield? It commemorates the crew of Halifax bomber MZ 519 LK-U based in Burn Yorkshire that was returning from a mission to bomb the V1 launch sites at Croix-Dalle in France that lost their lives when their aircraft crashed just outside the rural village of Farnsfield.

I have been there and found it quite moving in that the villagers of Farnsfield set up the trust for the memorial and over three hundred trees were planted in a little copse including two Canadian maples in memory of the Canadian crew member who lost his life. The plane crashed on 6 July 1944, just over 74 years ago, The crew ranged in ages from 19 to 24

Image result for halifax bomber memorial farnsfield

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

There's also similar small memorials near Screveton and near Hazelford. As you say, quite moving, and more so considering they didn't die in battle, but tragic accidents.