Mansfield, Sutton or Kirkby.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always liked Mansfield.......the folk are different but not in a bad way,, worked there quite a bit Vernons,,(ex marsdens) Queen street,, Farrands Church street,,both in the 60s,,obviously did a

About 13 yrs later yes i was Mick........was there when it was converted to self service, remember being stood in the first aisle manning a broken biscuit stand ,gabbing to all the ladies who had prob

Talk about thread drift! Mansfield to Netherfield is about 17 miles but interesting comments nevertheless

Mansfield Shoe Co. as we know it-began on Dallas street in 1900.

Royce & Gascoine...the originators of the company saw a huge market in ladies shoes as well as boots.

By 1908 Mansfield had 4 factories and producing over a million pairs a year and distributed worldwide, markets changed and in 1935 became the founder of the Norvic Company.

Things improved decade by decade..providing hard but steady 

employment for Mansfield folk, and then became the Mansfield Shoe Group...with sites in Bristol,Doncaster and Ayrshire and sold 50.000 pairs a week.

The fortunes changed in the 90's and

and they struggled in a competitive market...thus closing in 2004 and creating job losses in a well regarded employment black spotScan00016.jpg.

11 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Mansfield Shoe Co. as we know it-began on Dallas street in 1900.

That beautiful building is now up-market apartments with new upper storeys and retail and offices on the lower floors.

As an apprentice I used to pass it every day on my way to and from work.

Dallas street is on the right of the view to the left of the view used to be Belvedere Street with the Belle Vue Hotel, a Shippo's pub on the corner. Demolished when the ring road was built.

Another manufacturing business gone.

Ian, you would be saddened to see what is left of the metal box buildings in Rock Valley

Image result for rock valley mansfield

• Like 1
5 hours ago, IAN123. said:

This is Sutton in Ashfield..did Mansfield have a store?

Ian, Mansfield did not have a store during the 60's and 70's but it's original store was in Mansfield

See this article from the Chad, sadly it is now closed

https://www.chad.co.uk/news/final-song-is-played-as-sutton-store-closes-its-doors-1-8669317

17 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

There was a statue - assume QV in the open market place

PP the only "statue" that I can ever recall being in the main Mansfield Market Place is the gothic Bentinck Memorial erected in 1848/9.

Image result for Mansfield Market Place history

Photo by Dun.can

There was a Market Cross in what the locals call the "Little Market" on Westgate don't know if there is anything there now

following the desecration of another fine old town with the abominable Four Seasons development and the ring roadImage result for Mansfield Market Place history

Ah! that was it - the Memorial - we called it the fountain for some reason - maybe because of the drinking fountain? I would be about ten years old then and the memory is not so good :rolleyes: Our stall would be about second from right on the pic. Maybe the camera angle and wide lens, but the market place seemed smaller then?

About 13 yrs later yes i was Mick........was there when it was converted to self service, remember being stood in the first aisle manning a broken biscuit stand ,gabbing to all the ladies who had probably never been in a self-service store before.........i was wearing a short white coat, white shirt and 'dickie bow''...........''good morning madam,broken biscuits 1/- a bag''.........ran out of em very quickly......had to get a little Hammer'' and break a few more........lol.

• Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...

^^^^^Their quality never varies always the best. We found them when we were installing central heating in an empty house on Fisher St during that bad winter a few years back. The lad went looking for something warm to eat found Barlow's at the bottom of the road and came back with four pork and stuffing cobs. The next day was beef and the final day sausage and bacon.

Only time I have put weight on whilst grafting:rolleyes:

Now he works on his own and when ever he is in the area which is weekly, stops for his snap and comes away with large beef pies and pork pies.

• Upvote 1

My Art College Tutor lived on Berry Hill Rd. ..he tracked tested motorbikes when younger and spoke of a great bike shop in Mansfield in the 1950's.

I have carried the knowledhe Bob passed onto me and appreciate fine art and all paintings to this day.

A buzzing town in my time here...a nice aerial shot.Mansfield.jpg

• Like 1

Great shot of the viaduct Ian. Must have been taken after 2003 as it was then it got its spring clean and restoration.

Completed in 1827, with fifteen arches made of local stone at a height of 60 feet above street level.

Just at the top of the photo you can see the ring road which together with the Four Seasons shopping centre (which can be seen in the lower right of the photo) the council barbarians destroyed so much of historic Mansfield.

Just below the centre of the photo is the gothic Bentinck Memorial in the centre of the Market Place

There were several good bike shops in Mansfield in the 50's and 60's 

Copes on Albert Street

Richardson's, Portland Street?

Henstocks Chesterfield Road

Wraggs, Albert Street, Toothill Lane and then Sutton

Frank Inger's on Ratcliffe Gate

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Mansfield Maun Motor Cycle & Car Club' pagePhoto: Illustrative image for the 'Mansfield Maun Motor Cycle & Car Club' page

• Like 1

Paul and I both remember the Bentinck Coffee Bar in Mansfield in the very early sixties.  We both went there but never knew each other at that time.   

Margie has my grey matter twitching now!

The Bentinck Rst was very 50's in it's style..black wrought iron and blue/ yellow and red balls on the coat hanger..gone in my day- became Silver Leaf Chinese..."Luncheon Vouchers accepted"

Along here somewhere..Birds was great for ham hocks.Market_st_1972.jpg

Ian,

Yes Henstocks was there in our day

Some great memories in those pictures, never used the Pop In but regularly used the Swiss Chalet for a coffee.

Cant remember ever going in to the Horse and Groom but often had a few in the pub right behind the photographer who took the shot of Vernons store (any thoughts as to which pub?)

Birds pork butchers, good pork pies but my favourite from there for Saturday tea was a nice slice of gammon with a pineapple ring, new potatoes and fresh garden peas. You can just see the back entrance to the Swan in the shot of Birds, had a few in there in my time too.

Wish we could get decent gammon here, if you ask the butchers for it they look at you as if you are from Mars. The "British" shop that sold that sort of thing closed a while ago.

• Like 1

Nice to see a photo of Vernons ,Queen st,   worked there early 60s.....remember the manager Keith Ward......and a 'Gay' lad who wore leather gloves all the time,.....not forgetting Christine,,who i fell in love with........:rolleyes:

Mansfield lasses thought us Nottingham lads were the 'Bees knees''..........often knocked em 'Bandy' when we bought them a Pickled Onion to go with their Chips.........lol.

Can't remember the Pubs name Oz,,...........funny you should mention Goose Fair.....took Christine from Mansfield to It........then for a pint in the Langham,,,,,where she got her Ass sqeeezed''.........she told me,,      and i said  ''its ok,they do that in here''.....she loved Nottingham it was like New York to her,,,pity we had to finish really........but Chesterfield was calling.......had a few adventures there.........Farrands,Low Pavement,,,ahh happy days...........''cock on a stick'' certainly Madam..........lol.

The Jacksons sold their furniture establishment about 1960, and bought a caravan site at Ingoldmells. I believe they still kept the beer off for some time afterwards. I understand that their son John still runs the caravan site.