Mansfield, Sutton or Kirkby.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always liked Mansfield.......the folk are different but not in a bad way,, worked there quite a bit Vernons,,(ex marsdens) Queen street,, Farrands Church street,,both in the 60s,,obviously did a

About 13 yrs later yes i was Mick........was there when it was converted to self service, remember being stood in the first aisle manning a broken biscuit stand ,gabbing to all the ladies who had prob

Talk about thread drift! Mansfield to Netherfield is about 17 miles but interesting comments nevertheless

I remember that Co-Op being the Warwick Arms? as the original Co-Op was on Main Street further towards the church just past Eaton Close.

Who used to go to Combs Farm to watch the Motor Cycle scrambling?

On 7/20/2018 at 4:16 AM, Oztalgian said:

Never used to get to those forin' parts of town much but to remind me where it was I just had a look at google maps and found this opposite Thoresby Street, they look as though they could have been shops years ago, they are about half way down Wood Street

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@53.1467343,-1.2035677,3a,75y,161.38h,86.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNLvJEnOOk-ZzSdU_0m4qvQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There is another one further towards Rosemary Street that might fit the bill also.

If you google down Thoresby street you will see the sign for a boxing club  ''the old one two'' which was owned by one of my sons,, i gave it the name..........just looked again it was 2015 son still owned and ran it,, in fact thats my Car behind the white Van...........

• Like 2

I've just street viewed my way down Thoresby Street.... seen the sign and seen your car!  Very inventive name for the club, I think.

• Like 1

Thanks Margie,,had some interesting times at that club.....Son Boxed for years then went into Refereeing and promoting,,plus coaching,,........i love boxing and always helped out with Security for his shows,,met many famous Boxers and Promoters during my time with him,,,,and again lots of funny stories,,because i was his Dad was always made most welcome all over the country,,

• Like 2
11 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

If you google down Thoresby street you will see the sign for a boxing club  ''the old one two'' which was owned by one of my sons,, i gave it the name..........just looked again it was 2015 son still owned and ran it,, in fact thats my Car behind the white Van...........

Our Ben, famous all over the county/country

• Like 1

My dad flew RCAF  428 (Ghost) Squadron Halifax and Lancasters in WW11 out of Middleton ST George.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Certainly none of us would be here ! The crews were so young too.

A poem about Mansfield by William Sargent 1879 from Our Mansfield website

There's a bright  little town,

That is very well known,

It stands very close to the Maun;

Should you find it your duty,

To look at it's beauty,

You should rise at the early dawn.

Go up Berry Hill,

When 'tis calm and still,

And look down in the vale below;

'Tis a glorious sight,

As soon as it's light,

And will set your cheeks in a glow.

There's the best of stone,

And for this alone,

Mansfield will not be forgotten;

And there's plenty of lace,

In this sweet little place,

As well as very good cotton.

And there are charity schools,

With some excellent rules,

To keep the scholars in order;

And Thompson's name,

As well as his fame,

Will be sung beyond the border.

There are railway stations,

To suit your relations,

Whenever they come to take lunch;

And if you've a mind,

And feel so inclined,

You can treat them to a glass of punch.

There is plenty of coals,

That is dug out of holes,

From many large pits close by;

And a great deal of corn,

That is stored in the barn,

As well as some excellent rye.

We have a Town Hall,

But rather too small,

To accommodate all new comers;

When it was erected,

'Twas hardly expected,

We should want more builders & plumbers.

A monument rise,

Pointing to the skies,

It stands in the Market's centre;

This splendid design,

Was done by friend Hine,

'Tis seen when the market you enter.

And now for a word,

If you have not heard

Of the famous Mansfield bells;

Their sound is so clear,

When heard by the ear,

Over hills, and meadows and dells.

And what do you think,

Of the skating rink,

'Tis a place of resort well know,

Where the belles and beaus,

Glide well on their toes,

They seldom fall to the ground.

And in addition,

There's a commission,

Comprised of men that's well known,

Who will try to suit ye,

By doing their duty,

And gain the respect of the town.

Success to this town,

A place of renown,

May prosperity still be thine;

May the people act right,

And be always polite,

And forever in history shine.

19 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

What a difference 139 years makes!

As a fairly frequent visitor I was trying to think of a few good things to say about modern Mansfield but I think you’ve said it all Jill. It’s better than Worksop though! :biggrin:

Not too familiar with Worksop. Had to visit the police station a few years ago in the course of my work. First time I'd ever been inside a police station. Could smell the toilets from some distance away! :wacko:

If I were of a criminal bent, one trip to that place would cure me!

I may have mentioned previously that I have ancestral links with Kirkby in Ashfield with some of em interred in St Wilfred's churchyard. Mainly the Hodgkinson and Shacklock families. The Hodgkinsons were wealthy and Catherine Hodgkinson was my 3x great grandmother. Her daughter died, presumably of exhaustion, having given birth to a tribe of children, mainly boys, who all had the middle name of Hodgkinson, except for my great grandfather who was given his mother's maiden name of Smith instead...George Samuel Smith Ward known as Sam and who ended his days at 24 Suez Street in Basford.

I still am very fond of Mansfield...i visited last year..and not unlike my town here it is suffering from the economics of our time.

People were friendly and the lunch was fine and not too costly.

Mansfield was clean also .Mansfield is a great little town..as the US ers say:

It is was it is.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I may have mentioned previously that I have ancestral links with Kirkby in Ashfield

Shacklock is a very common name around Kirkby and Sutton in Ashfield and one of the most famous Ironfounders in New Zealand was Henry Ely Shacklock who was born in Kirkby. His coal ranges were widely used throughout NZ

There is an interesting article on him on page 8 here http://www.dunedinfamilyhistory.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/DFHG-July-2015-newsletter.pdf

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I've always liked Mansfield.......the folk are different but not in a bad way,, worked there quite a bit Vernons,,(ex marsdens) Queen street,, Farrands Church street,,both in the 60s,,obviously did a bit of courting up there as well,,got beat up behind the Picture house,,(made a right mess of me Italian suite).

Crashed me Van coming out of Mansfield in 1964,, so had to change back to Nottingham girls only until it was fixed,,worked as Store Detective at the Coop in Woodhouse 90s,,

Funny shoplifter story there as well,, i was inducting about 12 Security Guards upstairs in the training room,,when i got a call that a well known 'lifter'' was filling his boots on the shop floor,,took all 12 Guards down to shopfloor ,(all in full uniform)...well the look on his face was magic,,..........lol

• Like 7