Mansfield, Sutton or Kirkby.

Good post Ben..i visit twice a year..one thing i noticed..it was spotless!

Bit like Bulwell in a sense..step outta line..and you get slapped AND..Mansfield girls are flippin' pretty.

Only my opinion though. Did you venture out...all ok?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always liked Mansfield.......the folk are different but not in a bad way,, worked there quite a bit Vernons,,(ex marsdens) Queen street,, Farrands Church street,,both in the 60s,,obviously did a

About 13 yrs later yes i was Mick........was there when it was converted to self service, remember being stood in the first aisle manning a broken biscuit stand ,gabbing to all the ladies who had prob

Talk about thread drift! Mansfield to Netherfield is about 17 miles but interesting comments nevertheless

My Maternal side of the family were Mansfield people.  lovely folks. Granddad was a teetotaler all his life, but loved a ciggy. Grandma didn't drink or smoke, but at my wedding she sampled her first beer at the age of 70 (my age now). Bless her, for the next hour she thought she was a fairy. :) 

They had six daughters, four born in Mansfield and two in Vicarage St Nottingham.

I  know that somewhere in a cemetery in Mansfield I will find my Ancesters. Must make a point of finding where?

• Like 3

Venture out tomorrow,, one of me Sons been round this morning,,trimmed me Beard,,with a number one on top,,revving up for tomorrow,,

Back to Mansfield,,always had good times there,,and yes loads of pretty lasses(well back in the day anyway) worth getting beat up for lol.

Up until 3 or 4 years ago another of my sons had premises that he used as a boxing club and fitness venue,,i was a regular visitor only to see how he was,,and went into Mansfield centre on a regular basis,,place called 'Ten green bottles in the market place'' did good Espresso and nice breaky snacks,,always sat outside with a smoke after,,and invariably struck up a conversation with someone,,very pleasant mornings...........

• Like 2

I find all the Notts towns I visit have that friendly atmosphere about them, this morning we went to Retford, lovely place friendly folk as was last week in Worksop Notts folk are the best

Rog

• Like 2

There is nowt wrong with Mansfield serry, I quite like the place, most folk are friendly same as every Town depends how you talk to them. The best thing I like is the buildings and other structures, while the wife is looking in the shop windows  I spend my time looking up at the buildings, stand in the market place and look around you will be surprised. OK the modern planners have had their way in some places but there is still plenty left for you to appreciate, a lot better than looking at clothes.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, trogg said:

There is nowt wrong with Mansfield serry, I quite like the place. The best thing I like is the buildings and other structures, while the wife is looking in the shop windows  I spend my time looking up at the buildings, stand in the market place and look around you will be surprised. OK the modern planners have had their way in some places but there is still plenty left for you to appreciate, a lot better than looking at clothes.

Too right, young Trogg. Some excellent buildings in Mansfield and all those railway viaducts used to fascinate me as a child.

It just looks so run down.

• Like 1

Mansfield suffered greatly after the demise of the coal industry and its associated supply base. This together with the loss of the hosiery, knitwear and footwear industries in the town and surrounding areas left north Nottinghamshire in a very distressed state.

Colliery villages and the town were untidy with many boarded up shops and venues but during my last visit I was glad to see pride being restored to the area as a generation that never knew the heritage and the struggles grow up and build their futures.

They have done a fine job of restoring the viaduct and if there is one other thing that the council could do to help re-invigorate the town centre it would be to restore Mansfield market to its former glory. (photo Buildworks Mansfield) The abomination in the lower right of the photo (Four Seasons) and the Inner Ring Road destroyed so much of historical Mansfield but that is in the past and like Nottingham we must ensure that what remains does not go under the developers hammer worshipping the great automobile god.

Image result for mansfield uk

• Like 1

Quite a few empty shops in the Four Seasons Oz..when industry was over in this area..whether by design or profit or evolvement..i will never forgive goverments who did bugger all to replace these losses...north of Watford Gap as they used to say!!

Something of an institution in Sutton was Rowells Department store, made Grace Brothers look positively futuristic! Mrs C had Saturday job there in her teens and in view of her diminutive stature was always having to be an Elf in Santa's Grotto.

Rowells also had/have a branch in Long Eaton, I assume that they are both long gone by now unless anyone knows to the contrary?

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Rowells had a shop in Eastwood. Still there, I think. One in Stapleford. Still there earlier this year. Their Heanor shop is now a hospice charity shop. 

Yes it is, Jill. It's just a shop though, not a department store so maybe not connected. My wife tells me when she was at school, Rowells was the first shop in Eastwood to sell tights after they first came out and had young gels queuing up.

• Like 1

No not one in Bestwood Jill,, but i do remember them in Long Eaton and Stapleford late 60s,,also recall the name Marshall being i think one of the owners............

• 2 weeks later...

I'll strongly resist the temptation to become embroiled in political conflict, but it was the Clean Air Act which sounded the death knell for the North Notts collieries and mining communities. Housing was going over to gas and electric, the railway was going diesel and electric, so the demise was inevitable. Power stations were moving to gas and nuclear.  Margaret Thatcher just completed the long drawn out conclusion sad as it was.

School milk, manufacturing and industry..vat..from 8%-15%..privatising NHS, hunger strikes, poll tax, precipitating of the NOW housing crisis..all felt even more in Newstead and Sutton, Kirkby and Mansfield.