Mansfield, Sutton or Kirkby.

You must have been at Ashwell Street about the same time as me. Miss Brown was headmistress.  I remember Mrs Foster, Miss Groves, and Mrs Paine.  She caused me some once or twice.  Mr. Jury was head of the junior school.

I don't think we really hijacked it Lizzie.  Its called thread drift.  lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always liked Mansfield.......the folk are different but not in a bad way,, worked there quite a bit Vernons,,(ex marsdens) Queen street,, Farrands Church street,,both in the 60s,,obviously did a

About 13 yrs later yes i was Mick........was there when it was converted to self service, remember being stood in the first aisle manning a broken biscuit stand ,gabbing to all the ladies who had prob

Talk about thread drift! Mansfield to Netherfield is about 17 miles but interesting comments nevertheless

Re Kirkby. Well between living at Wollaton and Saxondale in the mid 80's, I had to rent for six months till I had access to Saxondale.

I ended up at Rose Cottage on Church St, Kirkby. It was near the Duke of Wellington (brilliant Marksman lager) and St Wilfred's Church.

It was lovely to be woken by the church bells on a Sunday morning !

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

You must have been at Ashwell Street about the same time as me. Miss Brown was headmistress.  I remember Mrs Foster, Miss Groves, and Mrs Paine.  She caused me some once or twice.  Mr. Jury was head of the junior school.

I don't think we really hijacked it Lizzie.  Its called thread drift.  lol.

You know, I get mixed up with teachers names, not knowing if they were my teachers at Ashwell Street Infants or Kingswell Jnr in Arnold.  I don’t recollect any of those names but a Miss Waddell comes to mind, she could have been in Arnold though. 

7 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

If it was Weddle and not Waddle I might be able to cast some light.

It could have even been Wardell, my memory isn’t great for those distant times.  

3 hours ago, FLY2 said:

ended up at Rose Cottage on Church St, Kirkby. It was near the Duke of Wellington (brilliant Marksman lager) and St Wilfred's Church.

It was lovely to be woken by the church bells on a Sunday morning !

Know Church Street well. Think I've mentioned previously that I have ancestral links to Kirkby in the early 1800s. Many are buried in St Wilfrid's churchyard...Hodgkinsons, Shacklocks among them.

• 2 months later...

The rider nearest the camera in that last pic is, I think, Reg Harris. Multiple British sprint champion, even into his 50s.

And the photo of the lad near Landers Bakery was, if I recall correctly, taken by my dad.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Syd Booths...was there one in Sutton?

Bought most of my vinyl from Sid Booths on Queen Street in Mansfield opposite the CO-OP

Yes they did have a shop in Sutton at the Idlewels shopping centre

They also had a shop in that abomination that destroyed so much of Mansfield's history, the Four Seasons shopping centre.

Photo from www.allvinylexperience.com

Image result for syd booths mansfield

• Like 1

Cheers Oz...Syds was a great shop...and would order you anything.

When at College on Chesterfield Rd.

They had moved to the 4 seasons and the prices rocketed up!

But i still have loads of beat music on vinyl..courtesy of this store.

Also 2 quality 2nd hand stalls on Friday Market .

Looking at the photo above: i'd forgotten about The Sherwood Room...

Is The Rufford still open?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

King & Miller Pub

The clue is if you look further down the road in the picture you will see the Red Lion, this is almost opposite the old Mansfield Shoe Co building, I think it was actually on Stockwell Gate and was demolished during redevelopment during the 1950's, however that photo gives me the idea that it was on Sutton Rd. Is there any chance that the image has been reversed?

There was a book by Robert Dodsley called the "King and the Miller of Mansfield" a sequel to this was "Sir John Cockle At Court", the name of another local pub.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

I think it was actually on Stockwell Gate and was demolished during redevelopment during the 1950's, however that photo gives me the idea that it was on Sutton Rd. Is there any chance that the image has been reversed?

No, the image is the correct way, the King and Miller shown at what was 132 Stockwell Gate. Padley Hill Rd would be just to the left out of shot.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TBI said:

No, the image is the correct way, the King and Miller shown at what was 132 Stockwell Gate. Padley Hill Rd would be just to the left out of shot.

TBI I have just checked on some old maps and agree that the only way you can get  that view of the Red Lion is from what is now Sutton Rd but back in the day it was called Stockwell Gate

• Like 1
4 hours ago, IAN123. said:

I did a 21st Century check..is Asda there or something?

Yes an ASDA and as TBI said Padley Hill Rd is just out of shot on the old photo the ASDA store is on the corner of Padley Hill Rd and what is now Sutton Rd. The Miller would be near where the front of the store is.

• Like 1