Mansfield, Sutton or Kirkby.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always liked Mansfield.......the folk are different but not in a bad way,, worked there quite a bit Vernons,,(ex marsdens) Queen street,, Farrands Church street,,both in the 60s,,obviously did a

About 13 yrs later yes i was Mick........was there when it was converted to self service, remember being stood in the first aisle manning a broken biscuit stand ,gabbing to all the ladies who had prob

Talk about thread drift! Mansfield to Netherfield is about 17 miles but interesting comments nevertheless

1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

Number 10 to Huthwaite..lovely plumage.

Ian it was a 101Mansfield Woodhouse to Huthwaite. If I missed the 106 to Sutton via Unwin Rd and Eastfield Side I used to catch the101 but it was then quite a hike to get to work. MDT and MGO buses were always well turned out and maintained.

101 to MansfieldPhoto from Huthwaite on Line

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Hodgson...and the mud.

Great to see the old Kop and Bishop Street stand. Todays' multi-million pound snowflakes couldn't/wouldn't play on a pitch like that!

The game is being filmed from the west stand that was purchased from Hurst Park racecourse on its closure.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Past life in Mansfield....1950's.

The people in the film must have been rich as not many people had a car in the 50's.

The market place is largely unchanged except that the market is a shadow of its former self.

The shot down Church Street through the viaduct and looking back the other way are the most photographed views in Mansfield.

The bus in the shot is most likely a MDT or perhaps a MGO service from the terminus near the Midland Station going to or through local mining villages such as Rainworth, Blidworth, Bilsthorpe or further to Newark or Nottingham

Mansfield Gasworks..

Yes, Just off Ratcliffe Gate behind St Peter's church. When we got off the bus at the top of Midworth Street to go swimming at the baths, depending on which way the wind was blowing you got the smell of either the gasworks, the brewery or the cattle market.

• Like 1

Granada..showing Young Winston.

The Granada was my favourite cinema in Mansfield. Demolished when the vandals at the council built the concrete abomination that is the Four Seasons shopping centre as was much of Mansfield's heritage when they built the ring road.

The Empire Cinema

Never went in the Empire cinema but had a pint or two of Shippo's across the road in the Belle Vue Hotel.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, IAN123. said:

That Berry Hill Rd.i see?

Ian it looks more like the building of West Notts Tech at the junction of Nottingham Road (top right hand corner) and Derby Road past the front of the site. When finished it replaced the old technical college on Chesterfield Road.

Many lunch time pints and pasties at the Rushley just down the road.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Correct Oz...did my A, levels here- under the supervision of Mr.Lemaitre.

Thanks Ian, I too had Pierre Lemaitre for social sciences, don't know why we did that as we were doing engineering?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Looking at the Chad website there is a review of the "top ten" Chinese Restaurants in North Nottinghamshire

Coming in at No 8 was Ming's Cuisine of Newgate Lane and the review said "Best salt and pepper chips for sure"

Of all the food you can get in a Chinese they say that the chips are the best. 

Gotta love Mansfield!