IAN123.

Mansfield, Sutton or Kirkby.

20 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

King & Miller Pub

The clue is if you look further down the road in the picture you will see the Red Lion, this is almost opposite the old Mansfield Shoe Co building, I think it was actually on Stockwell Gate and was demolished during redevelopment during the 1950's, however that photo gives me the idea that it was on Sutton Rd. Is there any chance that the image has been reversed?

There was a book by Robert Dodsley called the "King and the Miller of Mansfield" a sequel to this was "Sir John Cockle At Court", the name of another local pub.

• Like 1

Could be Oz..i looked..and was not sure..better ask the 'Ozacle'..thanks..ian.

58 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

I think it was actually on Stockwell Gate and was demolished during redevelopment during the 1950's, however that photo gives me the idea that it was on Sutton Rd. Is there any chance that the image has been reversed?

No, the image is the correct way, the King and Miller shown at what was 132 Stockwell Gate. Padley Hill Rd would be just to the left out of shot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBI said:

No, the image is the correct way, the King and Miller shown at what was 132 Stockwell Gate. Padley Hill Rd would be just to the left out of shot.

TBI I have just checked on some old maps and agree that the only way you can get  that view of the Red Lion is from what is now Sutton Rd but back in the day it was called Stockwell Gate

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IAN123. said:

I did a 21st Century check..is Asda there or something?

Yes an ASDA and as TBI said Padley Hill Rd is just out of shot on the old photo the ASDA store is on the corner of Padley Hill Rd and what is now Sutton Rd. The Miller would be near where the front of the store is.

• Like 1

Sorry Oz but it was Stockwell Gate back in the day and it still is. Not so long ago, I worked nearby for about five years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TBI said:

it was Stockwell Gate back in the day

Looked again at my maps and yes TBI you are right it does not change to Sutton Road until Spencer Street and the William IV pub.

• Like 1

Sorry to cause headaches..i just could not fathom it out!!

Thanks you two guys..

• Like 1

Think i told a fib...was in The King and Miller.Mansfield-trans-Nv-BQz-QNjv4-Bqq-Vzuuqp-Now and Then on Leeming Street.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

Number 10 to Huthwaite..lovely plumage.

Ian it was a 101Mansfield Woodhouse to Huthwaite. If I missed the 106 to Sutton via Unwin Rd and Eastfield Side I used to catch the101 but it was then quite a hike to get to work. MDT and MGO buses were always well turned out and maintained.

101 to MansfieldPhoto from Huthwaite on Line

• Like 1