Mansfield, Sutton or Kirkby.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've always liked Mansfield.......the folk are different but not in a bad way,, worked there quite a bit Vernons,,(ex marsdens) Queen street,, Farrands Church street,,both in the 60s,,obviously did a

About 13 yrs later yes i was Mick........was there when it was converted to self service, remember being stood in the first aisle manning a broken biscuit stand ,gabbing to all the ladies who had prob

A Mansfield Poem By Alan Curtis When I visit my old home town, It’s a trip down memory lane. My mind goes back to my childhood days. And I am a young boy again.   There w

While we are talking sweeties..there was a shop on Wood st.that sold homemade cinder toffee..my Tutor Bob Gallon always pinched the largest

chunk..bet EU wouldn't allow homemade in a shop...big bag for 15p!

Never used to get to those forin' parts of town much but to remind me where it was I just had a look at google maps and found this opposite Thoresby Street, they look as though they could have been shops years ago, they are about half way down Wood Street

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@53.1467343,-1.2035677,3a,75y,161.38h,86.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNLvJEnOOk-ZzSdU_0m4qvQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There is another one further towards Rosemary Street that might fit the bill also.

• Like 1

Has anyone been to the Halifax bomber memorial at Farnsfield? It commemorates the crew of Halifax bomber MZ 519 LK-U based in Burn Yorkshire that was returning from a mission to bomb the V1 launch sites at Croix-Dalle in France that lost their lives when their aircraft crashed just outside the rural village of Farnsfield.

I have been there and found it quite moving in that the villagers of Farnsfield set up the trust for the memorial and over three hundred trees were planted in a little copse including two Canadian maples in memory of the Canadian crew member who lost his life. The plane crashed on 6 July 1944, just over 74 years ago, The crew ranged in ages from 19 to 24

Image result for halifax bomber memorial farnsfield

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

There's also similar small memorials near Screveton and near Hazelford. As you say, quite moving, and more so considering they didn't die in battle, but tragic accidents.

I remember that Co-Op being the Warwick Arms? as the original Co-Op was on Main Street further towards the church just past Eaton Close.

Who used to go to Combs Farm to watch the Motor Cycle scrambling?

On 7/20/2018 at 4:16 AM, Oztalgian said:

Never used to get to those forin' parts of town much but to remind me where it was I just had a look at google maps and found this opposite Thoresby Street, they look as though they could have been shops years ago, they are about half way down Wood Street

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@53.1467343,-1.2035677,3a,75y,161.38h,86.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNLvJEnOOk-ZzSdU_0m4qvQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There is another one further towards Rosemary Street that might fit the bill also.

If you google down Thoresby street you will see the sign for a boxing club  ''the old one two'' which was owned by one of my sons,, i gave it the name..........just looked again it was 2015 son still owned and ran it,, in fact thats my Car behind the white Van...........

• Like 2

I've just street viewed my way down Thoresby Street.... seen the sign and seen your car!  Very inventive name for the club, I think.

• Like 1

Thanks Margie,,had some interesting times at that club.....Son Boxed for years then went into Refereeing and promoting,,plus coaching,,........i love boxing and always helped out with Security for his shows,,met many famous Boxers and Promoters during my time with him,,,,and again lots of funny stories,,because i was his Dad was always made most welcome all over the country,,

• Like 2
11 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

If you google down Thoresby street you will see the sign for a boxing club  ''the old one two'' which was owned by one of my sons,, i gave it the name..........just looked again it was 2015 son still owned and ran it,, in fact thats my Car behind the white Van...........

Our Ben, famous all over the county/country

• Like 1

Certainly none of us would be here ! The crews were so young too.

A poem about Mansfield by William Sargent 1879 from Our Mansfield website

There's a bright  little town,

That is very well known,

It stands very close to the Maun;

Should you find it your duty,

To look at it's beauty,

You should rise at the early dawn.

Go up Berry Hill,

When 'tis calm and still,

And look down in the vale below;

'Tis a glorious sight,

As soon as it's light,

And will set your cheeks in a glow.

There's the best of stone,

And for this alone,

Mansfield will not be forgotten;

And there's plenty of lace,

In this sweet little place,

As well as very good cotton.

And there are charity schools,

With some excellent rules,

To keep the scholars in order;

And Thompson's name,

As well as his fame,

Will be sung beyond the border.

There are railway stations,

To suit your relations,

Whenever they come to take lunch;

And if you've a mind,

And feel so inclined,

You can treat them to a glass of punch.

There is plenty of coals,

That is dug out of holes,

From many large pits close by;

And a great deal of corn,

That is stored in the barn,

As well as some excellent rye.

We have a Town Hall,

But rather too small,

To accommodate all new comers;

When it was erected,

'Twas hardly expected,

We should want more builders & plumbers.

A monument rise,

Pointing to the skies,

It stands in the Market's centre;

This splendid design,

Was done by friend Hine,

'Tis seen when the market you enter.

And now for a word,

If you have not heard

Of the famous Mansfield bells;

Their sound is so clear,

When heard by the ear,

Over hills, and meadows and dells.

And what do you think,

Of the skating rink,

'Tis a place of resort well know,

Where the belles and beaus,

Glide well on their toes,

They seldom fall to the ground.

And in addition,

There's a commission,

Comprised of men that's well known,

Who will try to suit ye,

By doing their duty,

And gain the respect of the town.

Success to this town,

A place of renown,

May prosperity still be thine;

May the people act right,

And be always polite,

And forever in history shine.

19 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

What a difference 139 years makes!

As a fairly frequent visitor I was trying to think of a few good things to say about modern Mansfield but I think you’ve said it all Jill. It’s better than Worksop though! :biggrin: