I still am very fond of Mansfield...i visited last year..and not unlike my town here it is suffering from the economics of our time.

People were friendly and the lunch was fine and not too costly.

Mansfield was clean also .Mansfield is a great little town..as the US ers say:

It is was it is.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I may have mentioned previously that I have ancestral links with Kirkby in Ashfield

Shacklock is a very common name around Kirkby and Sutton in Ashfield and one of the most famous Ironfounders in New Zealand was Henry Ely Shacklock who was born in Kirkby. His coal ranges were widely used throughout NZ

There is an interesting article on him on page 8 here http://www.dunedinfamilyhistory.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/DFHG-July-2015-newsletter.pdf

• Like 1

Often seen the vans around. He will be distantly related. Elizabeth Shacklock married my gt gt gt grandad Benjamin Thompson and they moved to Lambley.

The Hollinwell Incident is still shrouded in mystery...the poor girls in the marching bands collapsing in their hundreds.hollinwell_1_300.jpgRumours still abound today ..that the Defence Dept covered this incident up.hollinwell_4_300.jpgHollinwell Hysteria the M.O.D tagged it in 1980.

I'm certain there's a whole topic on this incident tucked away in the annals of NS

Ford crew cab and workers putting up the xmas decorations.20023410.jpgif iv'e got the right shop..bought my Chef whites from Alexandre.

Sorted out my Xmas present for Oz..a Mansfield hall runner carpet.

images_20.jpg

• Like 1

Good one Ian, when can I expect it? You will have to post it soon for surface mail.

Looks very like a series of destination blinds from a Midland General/Mansfield District and other local bus companies

• Like 1

A few more of that depressing place up the road called Mansfield.

P1010182_zpscfqkqrtb.jpg

P1010159_zpssuqa2wpc.jpg

P1010183_zpsq1mwczva.jpg

P1010173_zpsj2pzen0c.jpg

P1010165_zpsddycgkwh.jpg

The only thing the council got right was to BAN cycling in the town center pedstrianised areas.

Otherwise get out quick, awful place !

P1010189_zpsheasst7y.jpg

• Like 1

And trouble causers Mick..they have 'most asbo' posters of offenders..can't picture many snowflakes up them parts... only the real ones.

I've always liked Mansfield.......the folk are different but not in a bad way,, worked there quite a bit Vernons,,(ex marsdens) Queen street,, Farrands Church street,,both in the 60s,,obviously did a bit of courting up there as well,,got beat up behind the Picture house,,(made a right mess of me Italian suite).

Crashed me Van coming out of Mansfield in 1964,, so had to change back to Nottingham girls only until it was fixed,,worked as Store Detective at the Coop in Woodhouse 90s,,

Funny shoplifter story there as well,, i was inducting about 12 Security Guards upstairs in the training room,,when i got a call that a well known 'lifter'' was filling his boots on the shop floor,,took all 12 Guards down to shopfloor ,(all in full uniform)...well the look on his face was magic,,..........lol

• Like 6

Good post Ben..i visit twice a year..one thing i noticed..it was spotless!

Bit like Bulwell in a sense..step outta line..and you get slapped AND..Mansfield girls are flippin' pretty.

Only my opinion though. Did you venture out...all ok?

My Maternal side of the family were Mansfield people.  lovely folks. Granddad was a teetotaler all his life, but loved a ciggy. Grandma didn't drink or smoke, but at my wedding she sampled her first beer at the age of 70 (my age now). Bless her, for the next hour she thought she was a fairy. :) 

They had six daughters, four born in Mansfield and two in Vicarage St Nottingham.

I  know that somewhere in a cemetery in Mansfield I will find my Ancesters. Must make a point of finding where?

• Like 3

Venture out tomorrow,, one of me Sons been round this morning,,trimmed me Beard,,with a number one on top,,revving up for tomorrow,,

Back to Mansfield,,always had good times there,,and yes loads of pretty lasses(well back in the day anyway) worth getting beat up for lol.

Up until 3 or 4 years ago another of my sons had premises that he used as a boxing club and fitness venue,,i was a regular visitor only to see how he was,,and went into Mansfield centre on a regular basis,,place called 'Ten green bottles in the market place'' did good Espresso and nice breaky snacks,,always sat outside with a smoke after,,and invariably struck up a conversation with someone,,very pleasant mornings...........

• Like 2

I find all the Notts towns I visit have that friendly atmosphere about them, this morning we went to Retford, lovely place friendly folk as was last week in Worksop Notts folk are the best

Rog

• Like 2

There is nowt wrong with Mansfield serry, I quite like the place, most folk are friendly same as every Town depends how you talk to them. The best thing I like is the buildings and other structures, while the wife is looking in the shop windows  I spend my time looking up at the buildings, stand in the market place and look around you will be surprised. OK the modern planners have had their way in some places but there is still plenty left for you to appreciate, a lot better than looking at clothes.

• Like 3

Mind you Mansfield is not all doom & gloom, there are 3 Wetherspoons there !

• Like 2

Now you are talking my kinda lingo..i am having me hollow legs rebored..looking forward to some Bulwell Ale..a €19 flight..brill!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, trogg said:

There is nowt wrong with Mansfield serry, I quite like the place. The best thing I like is the buildings and other structures, while the wife is looking in the shop windows  I spend my time looking up at the buildings, stand in the market place and look around you will be surprised. OK the modern planners have had their way in some places but there is still plenty left for you to appreciate, a lot better than looking at clothes.

Too right, young Trogg. Some excellent buildings in Mansfield and all those railway viaducts used to fascinate me as a child.

It just looks so run down.

• Like 1

Mansfield suffered greatly after the demise of the coal industry and its associated supply base. This together with the loss of the hosiery, knitwear and footwear industries in the town and surrounding areas left north Nottinghamshire in a very distressed state.

Colliery villages and the town were untidy with many boarded up shops and venues but during my last visit I was glad to see pride being restored to the area as a generation that never knew the heritage and the struggles grow up and build their futures.

They have done a fine job of restoring the viaduct and if there is one other thing that the council could do to help re-invigorate the town centre it would be to restore Mansfield market to its former glory. (photo Buildworks Mansfield) The abomination in the lower right of the photo (Four Seasons) and the Inner Ring Road destroyed so much of historical Mansfield but that is in the past and like Nottingham we must ensure that what remains does not go under the developers hammer worshipping the great automobile god.

Image result for mansfield uk

• Like 1

Quite a few empty shops in the Four Seasons Oz..when industry was over in this area..whether by design or profit or evolvement..i will never forgive goverments who did bugger all to replace these losses...north of Watford Gap as they used to say!!