Davies123

Mapperley as it was in my day!

Recommended Posts

Hi - Thank you for letting me join. I was born on Fernleigh Avenue in 1959 and moved to Digby Avenue in the 60's. I went to Westdale Lane School - starting in the Wooden Huts! And then to Gedling Secondary Modern in the 70's. I have 3 brothers - Victor and Richard and Philip Lovejoy. I moved to Plains Road to a flat above Barclay's Bank in 1980 until I moved to Wales in 1987. I have loads of memories of living in the area, some of which I had forgotten until I started reading people's posts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Davies 123.  I hope you'll continue to enjoy the forum and post some details of the places and people you remember.  I was born and brought up in Woodthorpe, so some of our memories may overlap, although I'm about16 years older than you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Davies123 .

I was a 10 year old walking up Fernleigh or Marshall Hill Drive  in 1959 going to Westdale Lane School so  probably heard your infant screams :)

(Lived on Gardenia Grove).

Theres a few links of discussions here to Gedling and Westdale Schools :

 

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/4897-gedling-school-class-photo-623/

 

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/10613-westdale-lane-juniors/?tab=comments#comment-155877

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello fellow former Fernleigh resident, and sufferer of the Westdale huts!

 

I seem to recall that one of your brothers was my brother Michael's best mate. Didn't you live at number 15?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you be one of the Lowsby's? Michael and Robert? You are very close - No 13! Mrs Bradshaw lived at 15 my adopted Aunty! My brother's being Philip, Richard and Victor. The Shaws (Kevin, Christopher and Timothy) lived next door at No 11! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/03/2018 at 9:32 AM, DAVIDW said:

Welcome Davies123 .

I was a 10 year old walking up Fernleigh or Marshall Hill Drive  in 1959 going to Westdale Lane School so  probably heard your infant screams :)

(Lived on Gardenia Grove).

 

Thanks! What a way to be remembered! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Davies123 said:

Could you be one of the Lowsby's? Michael and Robert? You are very close - No 13! Mrs Bradshaw lived at 15 my adopted Aunty! My brother's being Philip, Richard and Victor. The Shaws (Kevin, Christopher and Timothy) lived next door at No 11! 

 

Yes, that's me! And the two older Shaw brothers were my best mates.

 

Although we all used to knock around together while we were at Westdale, it all came to a sudden halt when I went to Carlton le Willows and everyone else went to Gedling or Cavendish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/03/2018 at 9:32 AM, DAVIDW said:

Welcome Davies123 .

I was a 10 year old walking up Fernleigh or Marshall Hill Drive  in 1959 going to Westdale Lane School so  probably heard your infant screams :)

(Lived on Gardenia Grove).

Theres a few links of discussions here to Gedling and Westdale Schools :

 

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/4897-gedling-school-class-photo-623/

 

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/10613-westdale-lane-juniors/?tab=comments#comment-155877

 

 

Yes, that sounds about right. Carlton-le-Willows were always seen as the snobby ones!!smile2. Mind you I was the baby one of the family and didn't go to Gedling until after my brother's left. Vic went to Henry Mellish another snob!  Anne Maddison was my best mate until she went to Cavvo cowsheds!! then we lost touch too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Davies123 said:

 

 

Yes, that sounds about right. Carlton-le-Willows were always seen as the snobby ones!!smile2. Mind you I was the baby one of the family and didn't go to Gedling until after my brother's left. Vic went to Henry Mellish another snob!  Anne Maddison was my best mate until she went to Cavvo cowsheds!! then we lost touch too. 

 

Oi Davies 123!   Nowt wrong with the kids who went to Carlton le Willows.....  at least the ones in my year  were  OK.     Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, MargieH said:

 

Oi Davies 123!   Nowt wrong with the kids who went to Carlton le Willows.....  at least the ones in my year  were  OK.     Lol

Ha, ha, ha - so sorry no offence intended! It was just how it was in them days! My bro was a snob too - he got to go to Grammar School, not like the rest of us! Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^^^^^Otherwise known as Dick he was a great friend of mine back in the 60s & 70s hope he is well.

 

We started out working together plumbing and roofing, we had one off the first Tranny vans in Nottingham British racing green as a works van, which was pretty good for posing out side Clarendon college at lunch times.

 

I was already climbing and caving and generally misbehaving up in Derbyshire and so of course introduced Dick to the crowd and he was more than happy to join in.

 

As your his sister I will have to be careful what I say:rolleyes: but we had some great times up in the high peak and the rest of the country I am sure I have a photograph which I will try and post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...