• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't consider myself miserable but I become more anti social every day which other people perceive as being miserable because they don't understand why I prefer my own company to theirs! I could te

I was very impressed with the Nottstalgian members at Chulla’s special extraordinary meet-up yesterday on a sun-drenched hill overlooking Nottingham.  So many in smart black suits and I’m sure Ben was

I find that being miserable makes those, all too infrequent moments of happiness, much more enjoyable. Even then you can just add a soupçon of misery just to spoil it for others. 

2 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

When I first read Jill's post I read it as 'lick the bucket' so that will be off back to Specsavers then.

Had mine tested 3 weeks ago, perfect eyesight at 60. It's just the rest of me.....

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Seconded! I'm not sitting on any committees or holding any offices. I'm far too misanthropic for that! ;)

I’ve sat on a number of committees in the past but I’ve found by experience that the majority of the members are blithering idiots who think they know everything but in fact know bugger all. As I was in the accountancy business many years ago I’ve also been the honorary auditor of many village type institutions. In these cases, the treasurer was usually someone who didn’t want the job and didn’t have a clue how to do it. That meant spending many evenings checking every single item to just make the accounts balance. What did I get? - a ‘thank you’ and a bottle of indifferent red wine. I’ve stopped doing favours for people and sitting on committees now. It just isn’t worth it. :(

Parked the caravan on a farm site near the Roaches once and went down to the "designated" tap in the farmyard to fill the rolly water carrier thingy.

The farmer's lad was just washing out the buckets he had been using for God knows what - great strings of slime everwhere.

Never did tell the missus!

• Like 1

Don't blame you, phil. As I think it was T S Eliot who once said "Half the damage that is done in the world is by people who need to feel important!"  Most of em sit on committees!

The actual quote is

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm; but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.”

The man wasn't wrong!

• Like 2

Working on some new, to me, Bach Jill.  'O Mensch bewein' Dein' Sunde gross.'  Bwv 622.  Beautiful, but the hardest I've tried yet.  Three flats. And a pedal line that is not easy.     Btw.  For anyone who might be interested if you just punch in bwv 622 into the search box on YouTube it will come up.  No need to try to type the German title.  Quite a few organists playing it on there.  All much better than me.

moan, moan, moan. :biggrin:

You know what they say Phil.   Re. Committees and helping out for free.

I'm not the engineer

I don't get to ring the bell.

but let the darned thing jump the track

and see who catches hell.

9 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

..... For anyone who might be interested if you just punch in bwv 622 into the search box on YouTube it will come up.    Quite a few organists playing it on there. 

Hope you master it, Loppy. You like your trills don't you. Keep it up.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, loppylugs said:

In fact you can be president if you want.

You'd have to get the Committee (Cue Colin Crompton, Wheel Tappers and Shunters social Club) to hold a  full discussion, with minutes and take a democratic vote before anyone could be appointed President.  Even then, there would still be the terms and conditions to discuss and vote upon.

:rulez:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

WW.  Yes, I do enjoy trills but I always forget which note to start on.  I think my teachers said, start on the note you intend to finish on.

Quite a bit of ornamentation in that piece.

Having sat on many committees over the years just the only firm decision they ever arrived at was the time and date of the next meeting.

• Like 2

Nowt to discuss - if you're happy, there's summat wrong with you.  Take yourself off to the psychiatrist- PRONTO!

I like to be happy, in fact very happy in the company of miserable people as it increases the misery for them, something which I find very pleasurable. Just a thought on that, if  being happy to make others miserable is it the signs of me  being a miserable old sod, so am I a happy person or a miserable old sod. I am so confused on what I am, can anybody tell me. Remember your answer will determine if you are a happy person or a miserable old sod.

I don't consider myself miserable but I become more anti social every day which other people perceive as being miserable because they don't understand why I prefer my own company to theirs! I could tell them but they probably wouldn't like it.

It wouldn't surprise me if I eventually turned into a hermit...with 4 cats!

• Like 5

Jill I think its great you have found your place in life and are able to pursue what you enjoy. I am not particularly fond of labels such as happy and miserable , I think contented is more appropriate, if more people could reach that stage a more pleasant world we would have. Like you I am disappointed in the way the world is taking us and the way some people behave, but there is no way we can change every thing to the way we want. So like  you I find it is better sometimes to retreat away and do my own thing.

• Like 4