Clifton was a great place when you were young. Fields to roam, brooks to play in and apples that just had to be scrumped. As a teenager it was just about the most boring place on earth.

• Like 1

Ah,at last the cliftonites have arrived,start posting your memories of the place, bye the way,welcome to Nottstalgia Caroline

Rog

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Brew said:

Clifton was a great place when you were young. Fields to roam, brooks to play in and apples that just had to be scrumped. As a teenager it was just about the most boring place on earth.

Yes a great place to grow up and spent many a happy hour fishing for tiddler's at Fairham Brook, and yes not much for the teens!  :)  

• 1 month later...

Used to visit a favourite Uncle who moved there with his family from the Medders. This was before they had completed the first Clifton bridge. People would catch a West Bridgeford bus to the 'apenny bridge and walk across back to the Medders to shop. Going back the same way carrying their shopping.

I used to walk all the way from Queens Drive. Often stopping enroute at Fareham Brook, spending time there and then going back home without making it to the Estate.  If I recollect correctly having crossed the 'apenny bridge you turned right through a churchyard/cemetery and then you got to pass an apple orchard. Apples were there for the scrumping of. ;)

21 minutes ago, alisoncc said:

If I recollect correctly having crossed the 'apenny bridge you turned right through a churchyard/cemetery and then you got to pass an apple orchard. Apples were there for the scrumping of. ;)

You can still cross the bridge and then go through the churchyard, and along to Clifton. I suspect the orchard has now been replaced by housing. That part of Wilford hasn't been too badly spoiled.

• 2 years later...

Saw this thread and thought....no ive nowt to say about it............then thought again....ey up over the years ive done a lot in Clifton....starting early 50s when i went with my Mam to help my cousin Doris move into Surgeys ave or lane not sure..........anyway she still there....must pay her a visit.......

Next i recall about Clifton would be early 60s and doing some relief work Varney road Marsdens or Farrands all a bit vague to be honest.....then about mid 60s worked on a refit same company Marsdens/ Converting a bigger store into a Savemore on Southchurch drive......In later years worked in Security for the Coop.;also on Southchurch drive;;;good store for catching lots of lifters;;;the Coop moved into a new store late 90s Green lane i think , that side anyway,,anyway did a lot of work there as well......plus the smaller Coop which took me back to Varney road...

Apart from the work i also played many football matches against Clifton teams inc the Clifton All Whites as they were then known...........visited the Leisure centre a few times to watch some pro boxing.......and lastly of course did a bit of courting with Clifton girls...used to take them for a drink in Gotham......the Sun?...........so yes done a fair bit over the river in Clifton...........

• Like 2

My mum had a friend who lived on Farnborough Road and we went to visit in the school holidays.  She used to mention lots of shops I'd never heard of. Perhaps they were exclusive to Clifton? In the early days, she bought most of her shopping from mobile vendors.

My sister's best friend during her school years was Su Pollard.  The Pollards lived in Clifton when Su was very young but her mother couldn't cope with the lack of shops and the distance from the city centre and they moved back to Prospect Terrace.  If they hadn't, I doubt Su and my sister would have met.

54 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

....starting early 50s when i went with my Mam to help my cousin Doris move into Surgeys ave or lane not sure..........anyway she still there....must pay her a visit.......                     

Surgeys Lane is in Arnold so I don't think you were there. However there is a Sturgeon Avenue on Clifton, and it's at the bottom end, so one of the first roads to be built - which would fit your early 50s memory.

54 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Next i recall about Clifton would be early 60s and doing some relief work Varney road Marsdens or Farrands all a bit vague to be honest.....

The shop on Varney Road was Marsdens and quite local to us. My mum would've been there a lot in the 1950s-60s, and in school holidays would be accompanied by me and/or my sister.

I'll bet you spoke to us at some point.

• Like 1

Sturgeon,, that's it,,i can go straight to the house even though can't remember the number, not been for about ten years, 

• 2 months later...

Me and my three brothers all went to the Greencroft primaries then Fairham .I loved my time at Clifton from1954 to 1967 . Spent days in the summer "down grove" with my pals fishing n scrumping! I discovered girls when I was about 15 and went out with a lovely girl from Charnwood ! Ahh them we're t days!

3 hours ago, Rob Taylor said:

Me and my three brothers all went to the Greencroft primaries then Fairham .

As Jill S mentioned, I probably have a few things in common with you. Which road did you live on ?  I was at the 2 x Greencrofts from 59-66. And then Fairham.